Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger or Remington?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Nitro Express
posted
I'm considering buying a 1911 pistol in 45 ACP, and wonder what advice experienced AR members might give?

All things being more or less equal, which would be a better choice: the Ruger CMDR or the Remington R1?

I've sorta narrowed it down to those two based on price and general characteristics.

I would consider others, but only those build on the 1911 platform, with a price point in the $550-$650 range. Used is OK.

Not interested in Glocks, Kahrs, or the low-end imports.

Any thoughts?

LTC, USA, RET
Benefactor Life Member, NRA
Member, SCI & DSC
Proud son of Texas A&M, Class of 1969

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?" Robert Browning

Posts: 1545 | Location: Native Texan Now In Jacksonville, Florida, USA | Registered: 10 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
A friend recently bought an R1. Nice basic 1911A1. I haven't handled or shot the River 1911's but would expect a decent product. I don't know if you were looking just between the two companies listed but I've been happy with my Springfield Mil Spec. I think it is in your price brackets also. If it was just a Remington/River question, I'd pick Remington but only because I have not handled the Ruger 1911. Other Rugers pistols would lead me to think that it would be a good 1911.

I seem to recall Ruger was making 1911 parts for someone before they started selling a Ruger branded 1911.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
While I have not shot either of your choices, and it is over your price range, I have had phenomonal success with the Sig 1911 in their TacOps model. From out of the box to the range, it is the smoothest, most accurate 1911 I have ever shot. If you are capable, it will do one hole groups off the bench at 25 yards all day long.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
Ruger, not River. Mother trucking spell check.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote