Find
Notify
Tools

Old school bullseye
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted
I found this grip mount in a box and thought I mod it up. I cut the front 3-ish inches off of it.

It's a bit heavy :-) I'm going to use it in the International (duello) match

Posts: 6380 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Please post your results. Nice rig.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A lot of us used these grip mounts back in the early 80's when dots first hit the scene. They were awkward with the dot so far above the bore. Aimpoints were about the only choice in those days but the were big and very heavy so you couldn't mount them on the slide. We had to drill and tap a hole for another screw just next to each grip screw to keep the torque from loosening the grip screws.

Maybe in the mid 80's UltraDot arrived. They were much lighter so mounting on the slide became to go to method and the rest is history
Phil

Posts: 352 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 09 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I haven't shot bullseye in 30 years. Kinda miss it. Boy my eyes were better then!

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16350 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There have been a lot of mounted sight improvements over the years but I'm with you Bill in that my eyesight has really gone downhill.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
it seems like the old ideas of actually hitting a small target center have evaporated in place of seeing how fast you can shoot up all your ammo in the general direction of a imagine of a human

Posts: 13440 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
It's a shame, at one point in the 80's, we had a dozen (non-commercial) bullseye clubs (with ranges) in NYC.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
it seems like the old ideas of actually hitting a small target center have evaporated in place of seeing how fast you can shoot up all your ammo in the general direction of a imagine of a human

Pistol craft has been changing for decades. Bulls eye is a nice game. But has limited value in the real world of handgun use.

Most people own handguns for self-defense hunting.

The more practical handgun games suit their needs better.

Posts: 19354 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, maybe. One limiting factor for bullseye is that it is expensive to get into. Few, if any, pistols straight of the box will be accurate enough in the centerfire and 45 stages.

Secondly, bullseye is hard and most successes come slowly. It seems today's shooter want to achieve perceived success more quickly so they gravitate to a sport that is less difficult.
Phil

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Well I practiced today, I'll be go to the Dr. Monday because I think I have Parkinsons. :-)...

Man the sight is a bit high

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's one of the reasons we didn't like the grip mount. The higher above bore line, the more pronounced the wobble of the dot. Smiler
Phil

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rich, I have a buddy that I sold a 1911 to who was in Nam + he had the same shakes but they were from Type 2 diabetes that was caused by agent orange exposure. The Government denied it for many years but then the cases became so frequent that they had to admit to it. John stays pretty active in the VA so I believe him.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, I guess I am the exception! I hit the range twice a month and shoot Bullseye (50 yard slowfire, 25 yard timed and rapid) generally smallbore, and then shoot plates for a bit, generally my 38 Supers and my 9x21 race guns. Keeps my hand in at both disciplines. I don't compete anymore. matches take too long and I'm just doing it for fun.
The range does not like you drawing from a holster (except in matches) so I start from the 45 degree position. None of my bullseye guns have optics. I don't shoot them as well as open sights.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Let me add a couple of things. Having recently sold my S&W model 52 and S&W model 41, I am down to my Gold Cup (Kart barrel), my Izmash, and my High Standard Trophy.
As to this:
quote:
Bulls eye is a nice game. But has limited value in the real world of handgun use.
Most people own handguns for self-defense hunting.

Bullseye pistol is a sport in it's own right. Like fencing, it "has limited value in the real world", but that is not the point at all!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You're right about the fencing comment Peter. I took it in college + truly never regretted it but it does not have much use in today's society.