New
Find
Notify
Tools

Instruction help
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
81 years old and been shooting Shotguns, rifles and pistols since a teenager. Seems I now can't keep 100 bullets in a pie plate at 10 yards.

Any suggestions? Web sites or YOUTUBE vidios to watch?

Thanks, Mike

NRA Benefactor Member
US Navy Veteran

Posts: 1043 | Location: Brownstown, Michigan | Registered: 19 April 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lots of dry fire would be my suggestion.
Phil

Posts: 352 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 09 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you Phil. Doing that every day now.

NRA Benefactor Member
US Navy Veteran

Posts: 1043 | Location: Brownstown, Michigan | Registered: 19 April 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Michalski:
81 years old and been shooting Shotguns, rifles and pistols since a teenager. Seems I now can't keep 100 bullets in a pie plate at 10 yards.

Any suggestions? Web sites or YOUTUBE vidios to watch?

Thanks, Mike

Come to Wis and I would gladly try to help.

But it just might be age.

How was your pistol shooting ten. years ago

How is it when firing your first shot and second shot.

Do you have any tremors in your hands.

Over the years with our retired troopers qualifying for HR218.
Some very excellent shots when they were younger.

Start having problems at various older ages.

Some went to laser's some try dot sights some just can't do it any more.

Not fun but age catches up to us.

Posts: 19314 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I have a friend who was exposed to Agent Orange + now has really shaky hands when trying to shoot. There have been enough cases of type 2 diabetes from AO exposure that the VA can't dismiss it anymore. John is very involved in the VA + gave me that info.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Michael, you don't say what the problem is.
1. What gun are you using?
2. Stop shooting off hand (even 2 hands) and shoot a 5 shot group from a rest.
3. The aiming point (target) should be black, and subtend the same width as your front sight. At 25 yards the black is roughly 5 1/2 inches.
4. You should shoot a noticeable group. If not, then the problem is failure to maintain a consistent sight picture, or poor trigger pull.
5. Borrow a friends gun which has a red dot sight, and shoot it from a rest. Again, there should be a noticeable group, dooesn't matter where on the target it is.
6. Let me know.
Peter.
Added later: shoot a 22 semi auto as above if you have one.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank You! Good advice all. Sighted the 92X off the bench and the gun is not the problem; old man is. Seems to be that I'm relearning a lot of stuff. Was never a good student and age has not improved it. Smiler

NRA Benefactor Member
US Navy Veteran

one of us
posted Hide Post
Good to know. Shoot/practice with a decent 22lr semi auto. If your range has a plate rack, shoot the plates. Good practice and ammo is cheap(er).
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Took my Mark III to the range today; much better. Used some Norma TAC-22 and while I'm no Elmer Keith (never was,
never will) the heavy target gun, good trigger. and target sights helped a lot, but still a ways to go. THANKS AGAIN

Mike

NRA Benefactor Member
US Navy Veteran