New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help needed to post pics.....
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
....this is a kind of long story, but this pistol was found laying on ground on my fairly recently purchased ranch in Val Verde County, Tx. I am fairly sure it is or rather was a Colt Pocket pistol but due to corrosion it has no name or anything else on it except the serial number (?) on butt of grip. It is in really bad shape but is still way cool to me because of the history. Could be a later copy of above, I have no idea and don't know enough about early pistols to know what to look for. Great story anyway, and I've now named ranch "The Lost Pistol". If someone can post pics for me, PM or email me at sixtlghorn@aol.com and I will forward the pics my daughter made with her cell and sent to me. Thanks. CAT

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i recognize it- it is a pre 2000 blaser in mint condition- a similar one is currently in use somewhere in new jersey- owned by poncho biebs

Posts: 13440 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Besides the feeble (age related, no doubt) attempt at humor, I would really appreciate someone telling me something about this pistol. Wink

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

posted Hide Post
It may be a Colt Pocket Model 1849/. What is the bore diameter? .31"?

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GeorgeS:
It may be a Colt Pocket Model 1849/. What is the bore diameter? .31"?

George

I'm not sure. The end bore is so rusted as to not allow decent measurements, but the cylinder, which seems relatively intact will allow a 9mm Nosler round to fit in the end, plus part of the case. So I would guess it is more like .36.

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post

I agree it is patterned after an 1849 but the frame and screws are hand made by all appearances. Possibly the whole pistol. The cutouts for the nipples are very irregular and uneven, and the 1849 did not have a grip screw. For me that makes it cooler. Someone spent a lot of time making a pistol.

Alternately, it could have come from the gun making region in Pakistan and got tossed before it hurt someone Big Grin

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote