THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM PISTOL SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Shooting  Hop To Forums  Pistol Shooting    Need help on revolver sight problem

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need help on revolver sight problem
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted
I have a S&W Model 625 JM revolver, the Jerry Miculek model. This gun shoots 6 inches high with just about all ammo including handloads.

The rear sight cannot be lowered any more, it's tight up against the frame. Anybody have any solutions for me?

Obviously I could change either front or rear sights, or both, but I'm in the wrong country to get parts easily and couldn't even find references on the web. I'm pretty sure I need a much lower front sight, but I cannot find the references for front sight heights for these interchangeable front sights.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Never mind, I think I found the reference I need on Brownell's. Costs $58 from Brownells in the US, costs $104 from Brownells.fr here in France. Another rip-off.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wink,

If it's shooting low, don't you raise the rear sight?

You move the rear sight in the direction you want to change the point of impact. The opposite is true of adjusting the front sight if its adjustable.

Posts: 1129 | Location: Land of Lincoln | Registered: 15 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
It shoots high. I'll go back and correct the initial post. Nice catch though. Funny how one can write the exact opposite of what one intends (I have to aim 6 inches low?).

This revolver has an interchangeable front sight system. I believe it has the .300" front sight in it now and I ordered the .250" front sight. Hope it will make up the difference.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If I'm doing the math right, and taking a couple of guesses at sight radius, I think your new sight should lower point of impact about 7 1/2 inches at 25 yards. I know you're in meter land, but it was easier for me to do it in inches. I'm using 6 inches for a sight radius, less will lower it more.

It might have been possible to make a rear sight blade with a shallower opening which would have accomplished the same thing.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
If I'm doing the math right, and taking a couple of guesses at sight radius, I think your new sight should lower point of impact about 7 1/2 inches at 25 yards. I know you're in meter land, but it was easier for me to do it in inches. I'm using 6 inches for a sight radius, less will lower it more.

It might have been possible to make a rear sight blade with a shallower opening which would have accomplished the same thing.

If your math is correct then I will be delighted. Easy to raise the rear sight a touch if required. I generally shoot at paper targets at 15 meters (around 50 ft.). Click/buy is so much easier for the lazy than making a new rear sight blade.

one of us
posted Hide Post
After thinking about it, I was wrong about the rear blade, the notch needs to be deeper, not shallower, to lower the POI. Should be a fairly easy fix with a file.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
a lower front sight will make it shoot higher.
you need a higher front sight to lower the impact.

Posts: 4969 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You're exactly right. My math may have been right, but it should be shoot 7 1/2 inches HIGHER with a lower front sight. All I was really figuring was the distance POI would move, not really thinking about which direction. Duh!

For lack of a better excuse, I'll blame old age.

Look on the bright side, he can aim for center mass and have a head shot. Roll Eyes

xxxxxxxxxx