New
Find
Notify
Tools

Accuracy for a 45 rock island
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My sons and wife got me a Rock Island Match 45. i'm curious about what kind of accuracy I should expect to get out of it.

Posts: 557 | Location: Michigan, US | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Load it up with 3.8 grains of Bullseye and a 200 grain lead SWC and shoot from a pistol rest at 25 yards. I cannot predict what it will shoot, but the load given is a proven Bullseye, 25 yard load.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My GUESS would be 2 to 2 1/2 inches with best ammo such as good reloads, as above, or Fed. Match.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately the term "match" is bandied about as if it had no meaning. IF you can get 2 - 2 1/2 inch accuracy at 25 yards from your Rock Island I would consider that pretty good!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
It may be better than that, try it out and congrats on a very nice pistol! I bought a Springfield Pro and have to say it never ceases to amaze me.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4729 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
Both my Rock Island 45's do fantastic with 5.0 gr of Win 231 and a 200 gr swc lead bullet. For that matter so do my Colts, my Kimber, my Para's, my Remington, and my ATI's.

Steve........

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member
USAF Veteran

Posts: 1836 | Location: Semo | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It seems that overall accuracy capability of a weapon correlates closely to the expertise of the armorer and the amount of money that will be invested. Military markspanship units have armorers therefore the cost attribute does not apply, but they have minimum standards which the weapons they accurize must meet. Sometimes, a weapon will just "shoot" match accuracy, but that's not to be expected from an "out of the box" weapon.
You may want to ask Rock Island what their accuracy criteria was for that weapon.

Bob Nisbet
DRSS & 348 Lever Winchester Lover
Temporarily Displaced Texan
If there's no food on your plate when dinner is done, you didn't get enough to eat.

Posts: 830 | Location: Texas and Alabama | Registered: 07 January 2009Reply With Quote