New
Find
Notify
Tools

Slings on a Double
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I recently purchased a Chapuis 9.4 (coming home/ I survived gift) and see it comes with sling studs. I never see slings mounted on doubles. Is there a reason? Will it effect the regulation? Assuming it is not tensioned during firing is there any reason besides ascetics or some tradition to not use a sling?
Thanks for any help on this matter.

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I find (i) that a sling gets in the way when hunting, and (ii) that carrying the rifle on my shoulder is more comfortable. I suspect it is like women, some like blondes, some like redheads, . . . .

Mike

Posts: 21092 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
I have slings for all my double rifles, but I rarely use one. I always have one in my day pack, for long trecks back to the truck in the dark, when I'm dog tired, because I always carry my own rifle! I never use one while stalking. Confused

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I do not use a sling on a double in Africa.

However I have used them on my doubles here in the States and in Canada.

When hunting black bear, deer or pigs I some times hunt in some type of elevated stand.

A sling makes it easier to transport the rifle when climbing.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post

**Just get a good set of QD swivels like the ones made by TALLON (made in the US, unlike some more common brands)and you will find it a handy item.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i always sling mine. it is lots easier to carry around that way, and i carry lots and shoot little

Posts: 13439 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never did like slings on any of my rifles.

Also, welcome home and thank you for your service. I wish you all the best!

Bailey Bradshaw

www.bradshawgunandrifle.com

I'm in the gun buildin bidness, and cousin....bidness is a boomin

Posts: 568 | Location: Diana, TX | Registered: 10 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I use slings exactly like the one on Ozhunters double. The only problem I've had with my doubles is ONE (I believe the Heym) had a different size swivel stud of European dimensions. I got quick detach swivels from NECG to fit. I find slings to be more than just handy especially in very rough country. I use them on ALL rifles,double OR bolt.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the sling on Ozhunters double! What brand is it? Where can I get one?

Stephen Grant 500BPE
Joseph Harkom 450BPE

Posts: 625 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 21 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
"TRADER KEITH'S" RIFLE STRAP.
1 new Hampshire avenue
ste 125
Portsmouth, NH 03801
Order; 800-338-3146

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all who replied. I will probably put the swivels on and use a sling occasionally. Any notions on how the sling might effect regulation or accuracy? I well aware of the effects on a non-free floating or un-bedded barrel.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the Board.

I've never fired either of my doubles with a sling attached, agree they just get in the way and rarely carry them slung in case a quick shot is needed.

But, if I had a long walk to hunting areas or a long walk back after dusk, I'd pull the sling out of my pocket and use it.

Regards, Tim

Posts: 1318 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
mlazarus,
I use a sling when I hunt with my doubles and have not experienced any change in the point of impact on any shots fired. If I am going to be sitting for awhile, I take the sling off and put it in my coat pocket or in my pack if I have one with me. This is mostly for noise control.
If I need to take a quick shot I slide my hand down the barrels and the sling, putting the sling in my hand between the forend and my hand, or sometime I just let it hang down underneath the gun.
What you don't want to do is to wrap your left arm in it and pull down hard to stabilize the shot, that will put extra pressure downwards on the barrels and it is hard to tell where the shots will go, but they will probably be way low. Bob

Posts: 141 | Location: Iowa,U.S.A. | Registered: 13 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Reviving a post that is over 7 years old?

I do have slings on most of my doubles.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
quote:
Reviving a post that is over 7 years old?

I thought Adam looked like a youngster in that photo.

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Nothing can compare to the looks of a Trader Keith sling on a vintage double. Like Woodleigh bullets, they are the only ones I use.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mlazarus:
Thanks to all who replied. I will probably put the swivels on and use a sling occasionally. Any notions on how the sling might effect regulation or accuracy? I well aware of the effects on a non-free floating or un-bedded barrel.

Malazarus, The only way the sling will effect regulation is if you wrap up military style. That will not allow the barrels to flip naturally. Use the strap only for carrying.

.................................................................. tu2

DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
Is Trader Keith still in business?

Posts: 2317 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Bill was at DSC in January and the last issue of SCI Safari had an ad in it.

Mike

Posts: 21092 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Slider,
The Trader Keith web site still works and has all their traditional products listed.
http://www.traderkeith.com/

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2293 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
I have called for the past two days. No one ever answers. I have also sent an E-mail and no one ever gets back to me?

Posts: 2317 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure how this thread got revived but I want to add I did get a trader Keith sling. In fact I ended up buying three from him. Good stuff.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought this topic back up because I have had several people ask me lately if I really use a sling on my double rifles. I put sling eyes on most of my doubles so that you can either use a sling or go without one and either way, the sling eyes are not out in the way nor are the noisy going through the brush. When I am hunting, the sling comes off. Bob

Posts: 141 | Location: Iowa,U.S.A. | Registered: 13 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
On those, few, British doubles that may have had slings they were often a big fixed ring that a sling with an "S" Hook end fitted to.

Which, when I searched for an image on the internet to post on here ("show and tell")...took me to the Trader Keith site mentioned earlier.

Wow! I never knew that these things were still available. What a useful resource this forum is.

BTW Trader Keith is wrong. These were often, very often, fitted to barrels.

Posts: 6813 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
Trader Keith got back to me today. Cool

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
Nothing can compare to the looks of a Trader Keith sling on a vintage double. Like Woodleigh bullets, they are the only ones I use.
Cal

F. A. Skippy! tu2

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Westley Richards have just released a new sling/hook for those rifles with a big eye

https://www.theexplora.com/

DRSS

Posts: 1892 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am in my 8th year of working in the safari industry here in South Africa. At least once a week I am called on to go to the field with a tracker for a half day or so to track down wounded plains game in the bosveld. I use a .45-70 with 325 grain Leverlution ammo in the right barrel and 205 grain Woodleighs in the left barrel. A sling makes carrying much less fatiguing and safer. The last thing you want to do is the over-the-shoulder carry with someone in front of you.

Eagle One
Sterkrivier, Limpopo Province

Posts: 80 | Location: Colo Spgs, CO & Sterkrivier, RSA | Registered: 29 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Make that 405 grain Woodleighs. It helps to wear your glasses when typing.

Eagle One

Posts: 80 | Location: Colo Spgs, CO & Sterkrivier, RSA | Registered: 29 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eagle One:
A sling makes carrying much less fatiguing and safer. The last thing you want to do is the over-the-shoulder carry with someone in front of you.

Eagle One
Sterkrivier, Limpopo Province

Uggghhhh!

horse horse horse horse horse horse horse horse horse horse horse horse horse horse horse horse horse horse horse horse horse horse horse horse horse horse horse horse horse horse horse horse

etc.

Roll Eyes

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
rotflmo

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
. horse .........UMMHUH! Agreed!

The key is muzzle control, not method of carry! Roll Eyes

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

one of us
posted Hide Post
Slings on a double are akin to child molestation, sodimy and such crimes, one should be stringhaulted and gilflurted to have one in open company, they are to be hidden until darkness falls or when one is dragging a cape buffalo or elephant to the backie!! and Im cutt'en my dear friend Rusty some slack on this one!! rotflmo beer

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41762 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote