THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Merkel 9.3x74R & A-Zoom Snap Cap
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Merkel 9.3x74R & A-Zoom Snap Cap
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
So I recently acquired a Merkel 141-E in 9.3x74R. Last week I ordered 4 A-Zoom snap caps and finally got around to working with them last night.

Something funky is going on though. One of the snap caps when loaded in the right chamber will not allow the rifle to lock up. The cross bolt wont close, even when pushed. The same snap cap works fine in the left barrel, and the other 3 snap caps all work fine in both barrels. All of them allowing full lock up and proper ejection.

I have done a visual inspection of the offending snap cap, comparing it to the others and can't find any thing out of sorts.

Should I mark that snap cap and continue to use it in the left barrel only and avoid putting it it the right, or should I send it back to Midway for a replacement?

Also, what gives? Why would it do that?

Thanks in advance.

Billy Bob

Posts: 109 | Location: Fort Worth, TX | Registered: 20 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
If you have calipers check the rim thickness on each of the snap caps. Check the rim thickness on a couple of real cases. Midway should be willing to replace the snap cap that will not chamber.

I presume that all your cases chamber with no problems?

And please forgive Will. He's a bit verklempt today!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Will, you makes me laugh.

Rusty I've only fired 8 rounds so far. 4 Norma and 4 Hornady. All rounds have chambered just fine.

Why is Will verklempt? Did somebody put a second trigger on his rifle and install a 1 pound mercury recoil reducer finally giving it the proper functionality and weight?

I'm new to double rifles and just want to make sure I'm not gonna screw it up somehow.

Billy Bob

One of Us
posted Hide Post
1 - 2 thou difference in the rim thickness could cause your gun not to close
which is a very small amount but will have that effect when combined with a minor variation in the chamber.

Just don't try to force it.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
My PH buddy couldn't chamber Jamison case 450 rounds in his W-R just because of a few ten thousandths of an inch oversize rim thickness. I didn't believe it until I saw it.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19304 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Billy Bob,
Welcome to the DRSS! I hope your enjoy your doubles as much as the rest of us do. You ought to bring your rifle down to the Oct. 23rd Hoot and Shoot! We'll have a great time. If you don't make it, hope to see you at DSC in January!

Like Will said in the post that he removed, you most likely have a Snap Cap that the rim is too thick. Make Midway replace it.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Uh Oh,

Another soul drawn into the Double Rifle abyss. Wink

Or is it a new soul finally walking on the path of true righteousness? tu2

We'll never know because double rifles are like black holes - once you enter - ain't no turning back ...

Good luck with the double - great bunch of double rifle people with lifelong experience and excellent advice.

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3460 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wonder why Will removed his first post? I can take a ribbing, and I thought it pretty funny.

@Rusty - I was considering attending the Hoot n Shoot, but as it turns out I will be attending a big charity event honoring our brave fighting men and women wounded or killed in the line of duty that night. If only the Hoot n Shoot were closer to Fort Worth...

We'll have to arrange something up this way soon.

@CCMDoc - I can already tell I'm screwed. After wanting a double since forever, and finally getting one, I'm already trying to decide if my next one will be a step up in power or a step down. 7x57R or 450-400 NE?

Billy Bob

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most snap caps suck. I've had endless malfunctions with them in double and bolt guns, guns which worked non stop at the range before and after failing with snap caps.

Posts: 1083 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 05 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted Hide Post
Wise1,
I have the same gun you mentioned. The A-Zooms work fine in mine but they could be suspect. You are surly screwed now. That gun will spoil you. Good luck with it.

You can borrow money, but you can't borrow time. Don't wait, go now.
Savannah Safaris Namibia
Otjitambi Trails & Safaris
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA

Posts: 1235 | Location: Bridgeport, Tx | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
By the way, there's a fellow in Alaska who makes subcaliber inserts for rifles. I have a 141E and I just received two inserts to permit me to shoot 9mm Makarov pistol ammo in my 9.3X74R rifle. The inserts chamber properly in the rifle and the Makarov pistol ammo fits. I haven't shot it yet. Cheap plinker if it works. No guess as to how it will regulate.

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2140 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the replies.

Yesterday morning I checked out the snap caps in the bright light of day. It was obvious the rim thickness of one doesn't match the other three. As it turns out it's the one that wont allow the rifle to close when in the right barrel.

So, a couple thou in the rim thickness + a couple thou in the right chamber = bad fit.

Cheers,

Billy Bob

one of us
posted Hide Post
Here's an update to this little issue.

I contacted Midway via email. Within 2 hours I received a call from Midway customer service informing me that it isn't worth my time and trouble to return the defective snap cap. That they will be shipping me a replacement set of 2 snap caps today at no charge to me, and that I should dispose of the defective one and look for new ones in the mail early next week.

This is stellar customer service. I am very pleased and will certainly order from them again.

All's well that end's well.

Billy Bob