THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    French doubles in 30/30 or a similar caliber?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

French doubles in 30/30 or a similar caliber?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am about as "recovered" as I am going to get from shoulder surgery on my dominate side. That being said, shooting rifles and shotguns is still a bit of an issue so, my hard kickers are all "out of action" for right now.

Who has experience with the small SxS and O/U rifles? How do they compare to each other and what calibers are the better options for deer and hogs at reasonable ranges?

I am having a hard time warming up to the Heym 26B which I am sure is a good rifle but, I don't like it decocking every time you open the action. The rifle is in a handy form from the factory but, I just haven't warmed up to its aluminum receiver and cocking it every time I open the action. There are probably some other O/U's out of Europe worth consideration but, they are seemingly pretty rare over here. Does anyone have experience with the French O/U rifles? How do they compare to the Heym O/U or French SxS's?

How do the small Chapuis work CONUS for deer and feral hogs? I'm looking at a 30/30 as a starting point but, I would consider an 8x57 variant or something else as well and should note that I have a 9.3x74 so, I don't need any overlap there. I want enough penetration to take out Texas sized hogs in tree cover and not so much it will destroy a Buck or Doe in similar terrain. I need something light in my hands, easy on my shoulder and, compact enough for convenience in and out of side-by-side cabbed utility's and occasional open transport on mid-sized ATV's. Easy commercial purchase of common caliber ammunition is a big plus for me but, not a requirement either.

Best Regards,
Sid

All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
Alexis de Tocqueville

The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.
Alexis de Tocqueville

Posts: 602 | Location: East Texas, USA | Registered: 16 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
It's obvious you like European rifles, so how about a 9,3 x 72 r? They are fairly common, just the right power level you need for hogs and deer, light weight, mild recoil, and you can find them in single shot, double rifles, or drillings. This cartridges is big step-down in powder from the 9.3 x 74 r. Because everyone want power these days, lighter cartridges like the 72r and be found at very reasonable prices.
Just my two cents.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I bought a Chapuis UGEX in 30R Blaser last year, it has most all of the attributes you're looking for. Nice cartridge, I bought it from Carl Buch on AR classifieds, came with 200 brass, which was helpful, as they are difficult to find. It shoots well, is light and handy with 23" barrels, and recoil is manageable, and can be reduced by simply loading down. Factory ballistics are overstated according to my chronograph, my results are just slightly better than .30-'06. This gun is also made in .30-'06 and 7x65R. No experience yet with deer or hogs, but I killed a black bear with it, about 65 yards, no problem. Bullet choice clearly is more important than minor differences in cartridge ballistics.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ken or Jerome at Verney-Carron could make you a really elegant over-under or sidexside.

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Just looked in the classifieds. Nice Merkel 6.5 x 55 for 6K. Damn nice and what you are looking for.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
That 6.5 would be a light kicker for you. Of course, a 9.3 Chapuis would definitely hurt.
I have an 8mm chapuis, and while it kicks less than the 9.3, it is not a light kicker, if you can't shoot a shotgun. It is still a 200 grain bullet at 2400 fps.
Not sure exactly how much your shoulder can take, but the 6.5 would be good, as would a 30-30; and yes, plenty of power with that or the 8mm, or the 6.5, for deer and hogs. I don't use such small toys myself, (maybe once) but others say they do actually kill things. All those are easy to get ammo for if you don't want to load.
You can calculate the recoil yourself; google up recoil calculators.

Posts: 17089 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 39 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 28 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
A .243 Double Rifle?
No, it ain't right.

Posts: 17089 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chapuis RGEX would be a decent one to have around in 30-30. I wouldn't want a FAIR Iside in 30R,little too light for someone with dicy shoulder issues. My K-gun in 30R will get my attention every once in a while, and it is a pound or two heavier than the Iside. I'd consider something in 6.5x57R or 7x57R as being more forgiving to the shoulder, and they'd do the job quite nicely.

Posts: 284 | Location: southern AB | Registered: 17 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, that 6.5 Swede in a Merkel 140 (full sized double) would be just about perfect, if I don't succumb to it first :-)

Posts: 20082 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Sid,
Why not check out the beautiful little Westley Richards on Jaqua's ad on Guns International under the Westley Richards-Rifles tab? They have been asking big money for this double in 30-30 for well over a year now....and somebody needs to own it....and I will bet it is the right time that they might be real hungry for some decent offers.
Personal opinion, this little caliber rifle shouldn't really bring more than $10-12K in my opinion??...maybe LESS?? Make them an offer...and then I will be jealous if you buy it...I would covet that little piece!!
Cheers,

470EDDY

Posts: 2553 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Sid,
Further to my comments of yesterday, go to Guns International and the Double Rifle tab- under 375 cal-
One of the best bargains I have seen is a Webley and Scott SIDELOCK in 30 Rimless....ir 30-06....which is a real rare one...and I should buy myself....WOW!! and I think this is a far better choice for Hog busting than a 30-30...which I think is light....
Another you should seriously consider is a 375 21/2 Flanged....this is basically the same as a 358 Win and will poke Hogs very well...and NOT thump you badly!!
Another that is very common is the 303 British...about identical to the 358 Win or 375 Flanged 21/2 and usually quite a bit cheaper than other caliber....a great thumper our the front and not so bad at the butt!!

Good Luck,
Cheers,

470EDDY

Posts: 2553 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
Yes, that 6.5 Swede in a Merkel 140 (full sized double) would be just about perfect, if I don't succumb to it first :-)

I owned a Merkel 140 in 7x65R, and it was perfect for deer, bear, and hogs. Very accurate and really no recoil.

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 26B Heym in 30-30. I really like it. It is very accurate and handles great.
I have killed several deer, pigs, turkey, and coyotes with it.
The Heym scope mount goes on and off and goes back to zero.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dallas SCI, usually has what your looking for in English or Austrain doubles..I recall a 22 Hornet, a 25-35, a 30-30 and a 30-40 Krag there over the years when I did the show circuit..The 22 L.R. English double really caught my attention, I wondered between my table and the seller, talked to my self, drank huge amounts of coffe, beer and ate some hotdogs, sold some hunts, kicked the ladys dog and finally broke into a cold sweat and ran to the table and yelled "OK I'll take it!! He sez, I'm sorry Ray it sold about 30 minutes ago..I sez "good" and went back to work...Damn, it twere purty. I'm sure MacD and 450 no 2 and some of posters here, that roam the hollowed isles of Dallas SCI, remember some or everyone of these guns. They probably dragged my a$$ over to the table to look at them!

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41811 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What about the Chapuis in 7 X 57R?

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me". John 14:6

Posts: 232 | Location: Northern Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 13 February 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
Ordered pretty much this same 7x57R from Ken Buch last June. Won't see it for a few more months.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...951036012#3951036012

25" barrels, open grip, splinter forend. Will be regulated with a very low mounted 2.5-8x36 scope in QD mounts with Norma 156 gr. Oryx ammo. Should be sweet whitetail medicine. Not a .30 caliber you inquired about but something to consider. Good luck!

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1696 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sid, glad you're back. Take your time and pick the rifle that speaks to you.

Posts: 20082 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
How about a .38-55 double?

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoubleDon:
Ordered pretty much this same 7x57R from Ken Buch last June. Won't see it for a few more months.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...951036012#3951036012

25" barrels, open grip, splinter forend. Will be regulated with a very low mounted 2.5-8x36 scope in QD mounts with Norma 156 gr. Oryx ammo. Should be sweet whitetail medicine. Not a .30 caliber you inquired about but something to consider. Good luck!

Wow that's a beauty and I love the idea of that caliber!
Of course I still want a 240 Flanged Nitro Express

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3460 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote