THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    577 Cartridge belt or shell holder
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

577 Cartridge belt or shell holder
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does anyone know where I can get a nice cartridge belt or holder for 577 Nitro?
I would like for it to hold 10 shells maybe.

Sam

Posts: 2830 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
www.murraycustomleather.com

I've a number of his items. Good stuff.

DRSS
NRA Life Member
VDD-GNA

Posts: 326 | Location: Cheyenne area WY USA | Registered: 18 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I'll look them up!

One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
I'll second Dick Murray. He did a number of shell holders for my .577.

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by srose:
Does anyone know where I can get a nice cartridge belt or holder for 577 Nitro?
I would like for it to hold 10 shells maybe.

Sam

Sam,

Check out a few of the leather cartridge holders for 20 and 28 gauge shotshells. I'll look as to where I found mine (Cabelas, or Midway or Graff&Sons, etc.) but I picked (6 or 8 shells each) one for my 600OK and one for my dad's 585 AHR. I'm pretty sure they will hold 577 ammo well enough.

Paul

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3460 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Sam,

This is what I picked up in 20 gauge - snug fit for 600OK/585AHR.

Triple K Leather Holder

Paul

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3460 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sam,

Didn't mention earlier, but I would go with the elastic rather than the leather.

I made the mistake of looking at the website and just had to place another order! The item is in stock and on it's way today.

H.

DRSS
NRA Life Member
VDD-GNA

Posts: 326 | Location: Cheyenne area WY USA | Registered: 18 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, I'll check it out. I don't really like elastic but might go that route.

Sam

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you go leather, just remember to take the ammo out at the end of the day and wipe it over, then put it back in the morning.

Otherwise you will end up with Green crud on the cases which will end
up in the chamber.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Mark Sullivan sells a leather loop slide for the .577. What I like about Mark's (and actually had all my loops made in the 80s and 90s this way) is the bullets are visible so the cartridge can be pulled AND pushed up as needed. May not be everybody's cup of tea but they have served me well for decades.
Cheers,
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
why not look at the canvas web-style belts. IIRC Wolf Ears makes them to order with as many or few loops as you desire.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks again, I knew there would be plenty people that could give me some ideas. I currently use Boyts leather 10 rd holders for 470 and 500 but they aren't big enough for 577. I bought a leather sewing machine years ago to make stuff like this myself and even though I'm pretty good with machines I can't figure that thing out!

Sam

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
The Texas hunt co 10 shell holder cannot be beat. One is also able to grab with both fingers two rounds. Ten round cartridge holder.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mike, I like the heavy duty looking elastic. I might go with those in the shorter version so it will fit between my belt loops. I still like leather though.

Sam

One of Us
posted Hide Post
While I agree on leather as far back as the frontier indians wars in the 1870's the U.S. Army changed over to cotton from leather cartridge belts because leather corrodes brass so much faster. So in essence web cartridge belts/holders are very "authentic"-and practical.
coffee

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With Quote