THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    *** 11/28/19 UPDATE *** CUSTOM 700NE - HUNTING SUCCESS WITH THE 700NE IN WISCONSIN
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

*** 11/28/19 UPDATE *** CUSTOM 700NE - HUNTING SUCCESS WITH THE 700NE IN WISCONSIN
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great large-bore DR target.

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
Great large-bore DR target.

Hello Biebs,

Thanks for the reply.

I came up with this target design a couple of years ago. It works great for my old eyes and iron sights up to 100yds. The crescent wraps around the front bead, and your eye naturally centers it. The 1" squares make it easy to compare results.

" .... you never pay too much for something, you only buy it too early .... "

How to Hunt Wisconsin Whitetail Deer with a Cannon

How to Hunt Feral Cats with a Mortar

Posts: 2116 | Location: Whitetail Country - Wisconsin | Registered: 28 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Zephyr:
One more just because

Zephyr,

Did that Dickson 3-barrel come from the Bill Orr collection. If so, I have gentle fondled it several times. I always wanted that one, but Bill sold his entire Dicson collection, which was extensive, to the same person.

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
Hello mdstewart.

Thanks for the reply.

I think that is the one that sold at Rock Island Auction last month for $42,500.

Posts: 2116 | Location: Whitetail Country - Wisconsin | Registered: 28 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
Hello All,

I've been meaning to do an update for quite some time, and now I've finally gotten around to doing it.

Well, here's the latest update on my adventures with the 700NE. Since my last posting I've been doing quite a bit of shooting with the 700. I've now totaled 393 rounds fired and have absorbed a little over 27,700 ft pounds of recoil energy. (and I'm still enjoying it)

Over the months I've done a number of teaching displays at various Gun Shows. The 700 has been the center-piece of my display, and has started a lot of conversations with young and old alike. Here is how its displayed. Unfortunately my VC 600NE, that is displayed right alongside, gets little, if any attention at all.

In the Fall of 2016 I practiced every time I went to the range in order to prepare for our upcoming Whitetail Deer season. A full-size deer target was put-up at 100 yards, and shots were fired in pairs from a cold rifle. The target represents 11 pairs (22 shots) fired in 4 outings. The upper 2-shot spread was the widest at about 6" and most of the others averaged about 3". All would be plenty good for our whitetail deer. The shots close to the center came later in the practice as my sighting skills developed.

As for my hunting, I've been leasing the same 200 acres of land since 1975. My hunting stand is unique in that I hunt an abandon airplane runway that is about 1200 yards long. It was built through 3 wooded 40's back in 1980 and hasn't been used (by airplanes) since about 1995. The runway runs East & West and each year I keep the entire runway clear of brush to provide a 1200 yard shooting lane. I can shoot about 550 yards to the West, and about 500 yards to the East.

I setup a portable shooting bench, and take 2 rifles. My 700NE double for shots under 100 yards, and my 338WM Sako Safari for long range shoots out to 550 yards. A Birch log with 2 cushions is ready for me to rise and shoot the 700 standing, and another cushion for 338 sitting. A swivel stool allows fast repositioning to the rear if necessary. I had the same set-up last year except with the 600NE and a Remington 6.5 Mag.

I was hopeful and ready. I hunted this way for 4 days; Sat, Sun Mon, Tues, - and although I saw a few deer, they were only a glimpse, and I never saw a deer in my sights to get a shot.

On the 5th day (Wed) it rained. So, out came the umbrella. However, I couldn't "stand-up" under the umbrella to shoot the 700, and I wasn't about to shoot it from the sitting position, so I left it in the truck. I'm only about 50 feet from my truck, which is tucked off in a side-chute, so I could retrieve the 700 if the rain stopped.

And, as luck would have it ..... at 7:30 a.m. that rainy morning, out comes the Buck ..... at 45 feet.

The 338 performed perfectly. The rain stopped at about noon. I hunted the rest of that day and the remaining 4 days with the 2-rifle set-up again, but with no luck. No deer wanted to test my 700.

Well, I guess there's always next year.

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Proper chap that.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9867 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
Hello All,

UPDATE DECEMBER 2017

I tried using the 700NE again this year - no kill, but I did get a standing broadside shot at a nice 6-point Buck. I had a good rest over the shooting sticks, but when I shot, the deer just spum-around and "scampered" away. A 1000g bullet should not have resulted in a "scamper". I inspected the area and it showed it was a clean miss. I had estimated that he was at 100 yds, but a follow-up with the range finder indicated he was actually at 120 yds. That extra 20 yards likely had the bullet pass just under him by a fraction of an inch..... bummer.

The deer must not have been too smart because he came back about 3 hours later. But this time he was at 220 yards, way too far for the 700NE, but just right for the .338 Win Mag. Now he resides in my freezer.

I'll try again next year, but I'll mark the 100 yd line with flags so I won't have to guess the range.

One of Us
Picture of D R Hunter
posted Hide Post
It's 0055 hours as I start to type. I just finished reading
this entire thread, having started it last night. So two nights
of reading and I'm through it. I was enthralled at the very
beginning and remained that way through the last post!!!
What a FUN experience just to have read this!!! Actually
DOING IT MUST HAVE BEEN SATISFYING BEYOND COM-
PARE!!!!! THANK YOU FOR SHARING THE ENTIRE SAGA!!!
You are a Wonderful writer. And the project itself is spec-
tacular!!! I will definitely follow your next project. HUBEL's
case making scheme is genius, and you executed it perfectly.
The rifle turned out as nicely as any reasonable person
could want. What a treasure!!! And your lead bullet making
skills are just splendid. I have been so motivated, and ed-
ucated by this mountain of data that you have developed be-
fore our eyes. We are all grateful, I'm sure!!!!!!

dancing clap dancing clap dancing

D/R Hunter

Correct bullet placement, combined with the required depth of bullet penetration, results in an anchored animal...

Posts: 997 | Location: Florida - A Little North of Tampa  | Registered: 07 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
Hello D R Hunter

Thanks for the reply.

And thank you for the kind words.

Here's a picture of my 2017 Buck. Not a very flattering picture, but he was very tasty.

And for those that say you can't eat the horns ... WRONG .... I make the best Horn Soup in Wisconsin.

In case you missed it, here is another custom build. A 600NE Bernardelli Sidelock.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...0101804/m/3141016532

One of Us
Picture of D R Hunter
posted Hide Post
shocker HORN SOUP !!! Now you've really Done It! You'll have to start a thread on:
HOW TO MAKE HORN SOUP! Here's the section of this forum on RECIPES FOR HUNTERS:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...rums/a/frm/f/9811043

D/R Hunter

Correct bullet placement, combined with the required depth of bullet penetration, results in an anchored animal...

Posts: 997 | Location: Florida - A Little North of Tampa  | Registered: 07 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D R Hunter
posted Hide Post
Best picture ever on A/R!!! You look like SANTA on Dec 26 each year... rotflmo

D/R Hunter

One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
Hello D R Hunter

Thanks for the reply.

I always wear a RED hat of sorts. Here I am this Spring with my Department of Natural Resources approved Turkey Preservation hat.

one of us
Picture of LongDistanceOperator
posted Hide Post
I don't have anything to contribute, other than to say this thread is absolutely fascinating.

A rimmed .50BMG case. Mind blown.

Posts: 7480 | Location: near Austin, Texas, USA | Registered: 15 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D R Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buckstix:
Hello D R Hunter

Thanks for the reply.

I always wear a RED hat of sorts. Here I am this Spring with my Department of Natural Resources approved Turkey Preservation hat.

Sir,
You are obviously a skilled hunter, as the kills in the pictures you've shared clearly attest to!
As to your hunting clothing, I am not at all being critical, sorry if it sounded bad as you read my words.
The "full orange" photo made me laugh out loud because your warm clothing billowed up when you
sat in the seat, and with it's intended brightness + the UNINTENDED "puffing up" it looked comical to my eye.
Adding your white beard, the "SANTA relaxing the day after his busy season concluded with a bit of hunting"
idea was immediately formed without any intent on my part. Again I am sorry if I've offended you.
Merry Christmas !

D/R Hunter

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have followed this very interesting thread from the start,so sad it has to finish.
As a machinist and a hunter I have been hooked and impressed,start to finish.
Thank you buckstix and merry Christmas to you and yours sir. jc

Posts: 1138 | Registered: 24 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D R Hunter:
....I am sorry if I've offended you.
Merry Christmas !

Hello D R Hunter.

Thanks for the reply.

I never take offense about comments posted here. You are not the first to compare me to Santa. I wear the red cap year round, so I'm easy to spot in a crowd. Its only at Christmas that its actually appropriate.

By the way, the turkey was taken with a very RARE 1885 Hopkins & Allen Falling Block Single Shot 12 ga. shotgun. It has a 36" barrel and a very unique copper plate in the stock. I've taken 3 turkeys with this special shotgun. I've turned down dozens of offers to sell this piece, but I keep it because for those years when I don't get a turkey, I tell people; "its just as easy to be unsuccessful with a nice antique, than with a modern gun."

And thanks to all the others for their comments also.

Even I wonder what comes next.

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buckstix:
quote:
Originally posted by D R Hunter:
....I am sorry if I've offended you.
Merry Christmas !

Hello D R Hunter.

Thanks for the reply.

I never take offense about comments posted here. You are not the first to compare me to Santa. I wear the red cap year round, so I'm easy to spot in a crowd. Its only at Christmas that its actually appropriate.

By the way, the turkey was taken with a very RARE 1885 Hopkins & Allen Falling Block Single Shot 12 ga. shotgun. It has a 36" barrel and a very unique copper plate in the stock. I've taken 3 turkeys with this special shotgun. I've turned down dozens of offers to sell this piece, but I keep it because for those years when I don't get a turkey, I tell people; "its just as easy to be unsuccessful with a nice antique, than with a modern gun."

And thanks to all the others for their comments also.
Even I wonder what comes next.

Wow!

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D R Hunter
posted Hide Post
Thank you BUCKSTIX! I do believe that the Falling Block is my
favorite of them all. Such strength & I love their appearance!

D/R Hunter

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on an outstanding project. The only down side I can see is that I got a recoil headache just reading about it! My hat is off to you, sir.

Posts: 807 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 03 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sharpsguy:
Congratulations on an outstanding project. The only down side I can see is that I got a recoil headache just reading about it! My hat is off to you, sir.

Hello sharpsguy,

Thanks for the reply.

Fortunately, most of my shooting with the 700NE is with my 75% loads so headaches are minor and tolerable.

One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
Hello all,

Here's an update.

Today is Thanksgiving Day 2019 and the 5th day of our Wisconsin 9 day gun deer season.

You may recall my hunting method that I posted here last year. I sit at a portable shooting bench on an abandon 1000 yard runway that runs through the 120 acre wood lot. I've been hunting the same land for the last 46 seasons. For the last 4 years, I have hunted with 2 rifles, a long-range rifle, and my 700 Nitro Express double rifle.

I used the same set-up this year except I camouflaged the white pail with my camo-parka. This year's long-range rifle is my Dumoulin Bavarian Safari in 7mm Rem Mag. Its sighted-in 4" high at 100 yards which keeps the bullet in the kill zone out to 400 yards. (Aim at the heart up close, aim high in the chest at long range)

For shots at 100 yards and under, I again used the 700NE. This is the 4th year with the 700NE. As shown earlier in this post, I gauge range with the 700's front bead. If it appears smaller than the deer, he's under 100 yards. If the front bead is bigger than the deer, he's over 100 yards.

When this deer appeared he was coming straight toward me - straight-on. I first scoped him with the Dumoulin and saw horns. I put down the 7 mag and slowly stood up and picked up the 18 pound double rifle. The bead looked slightly smaller than the deer, so I aimed and slowly squeezed the trigger. Holy Crap! I forgot how much this thing kicks and almost fell over my lunch box which was on the ground behind me.

Range finder showed 85 yards. He was hit dead-nuts in the neck, with a 3/4" hole through the neck roast. He never took a step. I'll post pictures of the bullet (if found) when we process the deer.

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing.
You had some great fun it seems.
Congratulations for such a lovely double gun and deer.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27595 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Was this with the home made copper cup jacketed bullets? You're missing vital information here, and I hope you looked far and wide with a metal detector to recover that bullet to see how it performed...Smiler

Congrats, very cool project and follow up!

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1169 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boom stick:
Thanks for sharing.
You had some great fun it seems.
Congratulations for such a lovely double gun and deer.

Hello boom stick,
Thanks for the reply.

quote:
Originally posted by matt salm:
Was this with the home made copper cup jacketed bullets? You're missing vital information here, and I hope you looked far and wide with a metal detector to recover that bullet to see how it performed...Smiler

Congrats, very cool project and follow up!

Hello matt salm,
Thanks for the reply.

I used factory Woodleigh 1000g Round Nose soft point bullets. But, I'm not sure I'll ever find the bullet.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed this whole story from beginning to present. I may have missed it and if so I apologize for the question. How are your trigger pulls set and did Aaron have to do any adjustment?

Posts: 722 | Location: Corrales, New Mexico | Registered: 03 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by squeezenhope:
I enjoyed this whole story from beginning to present. I may have missed it and if so I apologize for the question. How are your trigger pulls set and did Aaron have to do any adjustment?

Hello squeezenhope,
Thanks for the reply.

I never measured the triggers. I can't remember if Aaron adjusted them or not. Regardless, they are "stout" but nice. I wouldn't want them too light for fear of doubling, or inadvertently "drumming" the rear trigger.

One of Us
Picture of carpediem4570
posted Hide Post
What an absolutely fascinating read. From concept to meat in the freezer. Wonderful.

I have a couple questions regarding this project and hope you don't think me too forward.

Can I ask what this project cost you in man-hours and finances? I'm thinking time and cost to create the cartridges, the load work-up, the building of the rifle. How long did it take Arron to build the rifle? that sort of thing.

Did you consider paper-patching your bullets? If not, why not?

The three barrel gun you are using for your next project; is that based on the Chiappa Triple Threat?

Kind regards,

Carpediem

No politician who supports gun control should recieve armed protection paid for by those he is trying to disarm.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways-scotch in one hand-Chocolate in the other-body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WHOO-HOO, WHAT A RIDE!!"

Madly Off In All Directions

One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
Hello carpediem4570,
Thanks for the reply.

You'd have to check with Aaron for current price and delivery times. Although I understand that much of Aaron's work these days is "bespoke" guns. Total time was right around a year. I never thought to do paper patching. I wanted to keep in tune with the 700's development and loadings. It was always a Nitro cartridge with 1000g jacketed bullets. Pretty much abandon the 3-barrel project. Test firing slugs with the 3-barrel Chiappa shotgun was less than a success and I had a buyer that couldn't live without it, so it got sold.

The manufactured 700NE brass cost me about $25 each - much less than the $40 each for Bertram brass. And my swaged bullets cost me about 0.25 each - as compared to $6 each for Woodleigh bullets. However, the Woodleigh bullets shot just a tad better (2" groups vs 3" groups) so I used them for hunting, and my swaged bullets for practice.

One of Us
Picture of carpediem4570
posted Hide Post
thank you

Kind regards,

Carpediem

No politician who supports gun control should recieve armed protection paid for by those he is trying to disarm.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways-scotch in one hand-Chocolate in the other-body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WHOO-HOO, WHAT A RIDE!!"

Madly Off In All Directions

One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
Well, low and behold, we've found the bullet. It was lodged under the skin below the left shoulder.

The 1000 grain Woodleigh SP retained 93.3% of its weight; = 933 grains.

And overall maximum dia was 1.435 inches. A real compliment to Woodleigh.