New
Find
Notify
Tools

1st Double
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am so confused right now I am questioning everything.
Todd wrote;
"Beavertail fore-ends were developed to appeal to those who hadn't developed an appreciation for classic DR lines when interest in DRs began a resurgence 20 years or so ago. They appealed to me at first as well as I couldn't understand how a splinter fore end was adequate.

Beavertail fore ends are akin to ruining good bourbon with Coke (Whisk-Cola), or a naturally beautiful woman with bleach blond hair, fake boobs, and too much make up. Just not necessary. Maybe appealing to the uninitiated but pretty soon, you learn that a good single malt scotch with a dab of water to open the flavor or a good hearted woman with nice natural features are the real gems."

I like splinter fore ends and dislike beavertails immensely however I really like women with, bleached blonde hair, fake boobs and too much makeup. Where do I go from here????

Posts: 1330 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
No need to be confused. Without going back and reading any previous posts; it depends on what you want to do with a DR.
Yes, fat fore ends are an abomination, but you might have to take one anyway. It costs a lot of money to change them, and after all, owning double rifles costs a lot of money; more or less depending on you. Handle some first; come on over and you can shoot some with and without splinter wood. I have them on Chapuis that I have; just shoot it and don't look at that part of the rifle.

Posts: 17105 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clan_Colla
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by huntnjim:
Here at DSC, handled several 470 and 450 doubles yesterday and today. Almost bought the Markel Tyre in a 470 1988 from George at Champlins. Gary at Rigby was also a big help. I settled on a grade 2 Heym 470 with upgraded wood for 25k, from Chris at the Heym booth. This is brand new and even threw in a German quick detach red dot. I did not think I would be interested in the red dot because I am more traditional. After throwing it up to my shoulder and quickly acquiring the large elephant picture on a banner 70 yds away from the booth I was convinced it is quick.

Jim,
I think you willl like the Doctor (Noblex) red dot even more as you start shooting the rifle.

I enjoyed assisting you and your wife through the process.
Thanks again for the purchase of a great rifle.

Doc

Posts: 633 | Location: Texas | Registered: 30 December 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can buy a damn nice Engish double for $30,000 or for $20,000 for that matter..

A Searcy will shooter tighter groups than any other double Ive ever seen except for one..My Searcy .470 shot an inch or better for 4 shots, that's one hole, Butch wanted it back and he won the Nationals with it...In turn I got a 450-400 that shot an inch to an inch and a quarter, almost as good and a caliber I much preferred...

A Merkel feels good and they shoot good, but need t be sent to a good smith and tuned in many cases, that's no big deal and your in under $10,000..

The double market is weak right now and its time to buy..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
SHAME ON YOU AND A POX ON YOU!! rotflmo

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote