Find
Notify
Tools

450/400 Verney Carron
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted
I just got a new (for me) VC 450/400. It was regulated with Hornady DGX so that is what I bought. I took it to the range Saturday and both barrels shoot great, but they are about 8" apart at 50 yards. Not crossing at all; about 8" apart. Great groups with each barrel! I am guessing the Hornady ammo I bought may be a bit slower? I noticed I have 2 different lot numbers so I am going out again this weekend to give it another go. Any thoughts?

Safe shooting...…….L

Posts: 887 | Location: Wichita Falls Texas or Colombia | Registered: 25 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just sounds like you need some more speed. I believe the Federal Safari Loads are faster iirc. You’ll get that one figured out. No worries.

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
When I got my new VC, custom built for me from the factory, it was shooting about 6" apart at 50 yards. I tried every combination of components imaginable, even had Ken send me a box of factory Hornady ammo. All shot great and consistently ... 6" apart. Sped it up, slowed it down, faster powder, slower powder. Didn't matter ... 6" apart.

I finally had to have it re-regulated by JJ. VC picked up the tab without blinking an eye.

All discussed here before with a full thread devoted to the issue. And before anyone jumps on VC, my good and now late friend Maximus Brutus here on AR had a custom built for him, H&H Royal in 500NE that had to go back to H&H for a re-regulation as well.

Sometimes it happens that way.

But before you have to go that route, are you a reloader? If so, the first thing you need to do is make sure the rifle is shooting to 2,150 fps. If you are getting the full spec velocity and the spread still exists, you need to use a faster powder to accelerate the bullets "quicker" down the barrel.

Doubles are a quirky lot. Some will shoot anything well and others only shoot one specific load well. As to the Hornady ammo, there were several lots that were notorious for being slow. It's possible you got some of that ammo. You need to shoot it over a chrony to get an idea of where to start. Then report back and we can start sorting it out.

One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SFRanger7GP:
I just got a new (for me) VC 450/400. It was regulated with Hornady DGX so that is what I bought. I took it to the range Saturday and both barrels shoot great, but they are about 8" apart at 50 yards. Not crossing at all; about 8" apart. Great groups with each barrel! I am guessing the Hornady ammo I bought may be a bit slower? I noticed I have 2 different lot numbers so I am going out again this weekend to give it another go. Any thoughts?

Safe shooting...…….L

I have had the same experience with Hornady ammo,changed to a different lot & the problem went away,a friend of mine had same issue with a 470,changed to a different lot & problem went away as well,From info that I have seen on the net,Hornady was using different powders to attain velocity & that might have been the problem for DR users.

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
Thank you to all. I will try the different lot number of Hornady since I have it already. A different lot number of Norma 9.3x74R ammo had me thinking something had gone wrong with my Merkel double one day so I know it can make a difference. I ordered a trial box of loads from Safari Ammo to try different loads. They will load up a box of 20 with 5 different loads to try. I am ordering dies today as well and if all else fails, I have JJ's number. I think I have a plan with some back up plans.

It will be one heck of an accurate rifle when I get the barrels to shoot closer together. I tired it with the irons, the scope, on the bench, on the sticks; all the results were the same. If it is me I sure am consistent! Big Grin

I went with this caliber after asking a lot of questions and reading even more. I am glad I did as the recoil according to my shoulder is about like my 416 Rigby bolt gun.

Safe shooting..........L

Posts: 887 | Location: Wichita Falls Texas or Colombia | Registered: 25 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Back to basics on how DRs throw bullets out the two holes in the end.
It is not just the velocity that matters; it is HOW the bullets get to that velocity that matters, probably more.
One example; I have owned two (now one) 450 NEs. They will not shoot within 6 inches at 50 yards with some ammo I loaded with Rl15; but with a much larger load of
IMR4831, they go well into 2 inches (The Searcy will touch bullets.) With much more Recoil and muzzle flip.
All of my double rifles react in similar ways.
That is what makes double rifles work. Not just the raw velocities. So, that ammo, even though at your desired speed, might be producing a different muzzle flip and jump than it was factory regulated with.
Or maybe not. But it is real.

Posts: 17045 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
It is not just the velocity that matters; it is HOW the bullets get to that velocity that matters, probably more.
One example; I have owned two (now one) 450 NEs. They will not shoot within 6 inches at 50 yards with some ammo I loaded with Rl15; but with a much larger load of
IMR4831, they go well into 2 inches (The Searcy will touch bullets.) With much more Recoil and muzzle flip.
That is what makes double rifles work. Not just the raw velocities. So, that ammo, even though at your desired speed, might be producing a different muzzle flip and jump than it was factory regulated with.

Exactly!

tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:

Great explanation for DR’s. From lots of experience.

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
I fired the other lot number of ammo today. Right at 2" apart at 50 yards. No crossing. Did it with and without scope. A buddy was with me and fired the same. I am pleased.

I called Hornady and asked about the ammo. They said they change things but keep the velocity consistent. As someone stated above, there is more to it than just velocity which I do realize. The ammo that shot too far apart was made this past February. The ammo that I shot today was made last year (I believe he said last April).

Safe shooting...…...L

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Also check if they are the old DGX or the new bonded soft nose from Hornady, in my VC 470 they both shoot 2" apart at 50 yards

Posts: 2531 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
The new lot and last years lot have the newer DGX.