New
Find
Notify
Tools

best insurance
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
When you ship expensive guns how is the best way to insure it. My understanding is that UPS insurance is a scam .

If you own a gun and you are not a member of the NRA and other pro 2nd amendment organizations then YOU are part of the problem.

Posts: 1225 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 12 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I've always insured them for their full replacement value. How is it a scam?

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
I've always insured them for their full replacement value. How is it a scam?

IMO, it is a scam because they simply do not pay when your shipment is lost or damaged! The common phrase is "IT'S NOT OUR FAULT"!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
MacD37:
I have done some research on UPS's policy limits for parcel insurance. Apparently, there are a number of different limits of coverage depending on where you mail your package and the contents of the parcel. I spoke with a representative of UPS after reading their policy. I did this for other purposes but the conversation was interesting. I just mailed a $15k rifle through UPS overnight and insured it for $5k. I was informed that at the $5k level the parcel is hand carried through. My understanding is that any additional insurance would be of no value nor would you be compensated for loss as it exceeds the limits of UPS policy limits. However, it is my experience that UPS will gladly allow you to insure to any amount you wish above that which they cover.

Once I have it in writing from UPS I will post their policy here as it may benefit our members on future shipments.

Dutch

one of us
posted Hide Post
I was told face-to-face by two UPS employees, that UPS makes every effort to deny claims. If an item arrives broken, UPS will tell the recipient that the package was inadequately prepared. Only if a UPS store packs the thing, will UPS honor their "guarantee". They are indeed, a "scam".

Posts: 2097 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I was told face-to-face by two UPS employees, that UPS makes every effort to deny claims. If an item arrives broken, UPS will tell the recipient that the package was inadequately prepared. Only if a UPS store packs the thing, will UPS honor their "guarantee". They are indeed, a "scam".

I've read of too many instances where the item was indeed packed by a UPS store (who charged me $168 for a cardboard box and bubble wrap for a leather gun case) and yet they STILL denied the claim due to "inadequate packing."

their policy is to initially deny EVERY claim. Their drivers are specifically prohibited from accepting shippments that are not adequately packed, but their default position seems to be, sell the insurance, then force you to hire a lawyer to enforce the policy or negotiate down when they destroy your property.

THAT is a scam!

Bob

DRSS

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?"

Posts: 810 | Location: MT | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Reverend Recoil
posted Hide Post
The insurance sold by the US Postal Service is no better. It may be worse.

DR #2276, P-100 2021

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have yet to have to file a claim with the USPS. I think I averaged one a year with UPS before I finally figured this out and switched.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Gents:
I read your comments and here is what I have done to put my mind at ease: I insure my firearms with a company that deals only in collections. I use Eastern Insurance in Pembroke, Mass. I don't believe their rates have gone up in ten years. Speak to Jack Richardson--he's the owner and a firearms guy. Anyway, my guns and rifles have insurance while flying, hunting, driving, AND mailing via "secured mail" (meaning a signature is required).

When I go to FEDEX, UPS (if they merged would the new company be known as FEDUP?) or the USPS I mail and insure for a small amount just to have an "insurance" sticker on the box. If a claim arises, I don't have to bother with the crap they all give (it took six months for a claim at the USPS on a box of my .600 books that didn't arrive in Kansas). For USPS I always mail registered (where each person that handles the package has to sign for it and it is in a safe when not in transit).

No problems so far. I'm sure the insurance company would be easier to deal with than the three above mentioned mailing services.

Cheers,
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ups denied a claim on a broken gun stock.

I opened package up in the parking lot, I went right back in when I found the problem. The counter jerk said it was not packed right, I informed her that it was pack the same way that it went out, and that they had approved it then.

Couple days of fighting I was told that the shipper would have to file the claim, I called the gunsmith who refused to get involved. Said it would be a waste of time.

I did some snooping and foud that they just won't pay their claims with out trying every trick in the book to run you off.

If you are haveing a package shipped to you that you own, then prepay shipping and insurance, that way they can't claim you are not the shipper. If they refuse to process and pay the claim, then go to the state attny general and file a criminal complaint of insurance fraud, bring pages of internet posting of the bs, and then push hard to something gets done.

JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
UPS sucks, and to make it worse, they know they will never be liable for any damage, so they drop, abuse, and dent just about every package.

They are the worst.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19294 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have filed a claim with the US Postal Service. I had no problems and they paid the claim very quickly.

DLN

One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
Ernest

I've found it simpler and easier to insure my guns with Collectables Insurance Co.

I ship FedEx, direct signature required, serial number of gun in the reference box with no insurance. Guns to/from gunsmith's during the year just about covers the premium cost.

I've been told that they have never denied a claim.

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1695 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks every one! I think that I am going to go with collectables.

If you own a gun and you are not a member of the NRA and other pro 2nd amendment organizations then YOU are part of the problem.

Posts: 1225 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 12 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
els:
Check prices if you can. I used to be with Collectables but their prices went up 40% in two years. They insure stamps, coins, old cars, etc.. and too many losses (such as hurricane Katrina) caused my gun cost to rise greatly. I switched to Eastern Insurance. Call Jack Richardson (they are on the web in Pembroke, Mass.)
Just food for thought....
Cal

PS. Also, check the exclusions on CI. They may not cover an accident when hunting and/or shooting.

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote