THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Shotgun barrels for your double
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shotgun barrels for your double
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted
How many of you guys own double rifles, which also have a matching set of shotgun barrels? If so, do you like them and actually use them?

I'm curious if it would be worth the investment, or if it's better to have a separate gun altogether.

Thoughts?

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3106 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
Very interesting. I was thinking about this the other day. I only have a Chapuis 9,3x74r, but it mounts well. I’m guessing a light set of 28ga barrels would throw off that balance.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3428 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Marcus, I've also got a 9.3x74R and think a set of 28ga barrels would work pretty well. Not as well as a dedicated SxS shotgun, but probably a lot better than a set of 12ga barrels on a 500NE frame. I think there is a point, with the heavier caliber full nitro guns, that a set of shotgun barrels are really not balanced very well at all. That said, I don't have a setup like this so will defer to others opinions who do.

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
I have two. A W&C Scott 8-bore shotgun with a set of 10 bore "for ball" barrels and a Gye and Moncrieff 577-500 no2 with matching 12-bore barrels.

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I found that I never used them.

It is far easier to have a dedicated firearm in the USA.

In what ever gauge or caliber you want.

A lot of times it is far more cost effective also.

One can buy some really nice firearms.

For the cost of a barrels.

Posts: 19310 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have also thought about buying a double rifle with shotgun barrels many times but as pointed out earlier this greatly increases the cost of the double rifle. My solution was to just buy a drilling in 12x12x9.3x74R to go with my double rifle in 9.3x74R.

Posts: 136 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 04 March 2021Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
I would much rather have a second set of rifle barrels in a smaller caliber for my double than a pair of shotgun barrels.

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2247 | Location: Houston, TX. | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes, generally a bad idea; just get a real shotgun.

Posts: 17045 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
What dpcd said +1 .

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2293 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes just a little more time to explain why; Double Rifles are specifically designed and built as rifles (not always), with heavier frames and different stocks than shotguns. Putting shotgun barrels on a rifle usually results in a hog of a shotgun that doesn't fit. Or the opposite as in a Krieghoff; the frame faces are too small for a shotgun.
And if you in the field, are you going to carry both sets of barrels? I know, they have been made but are usually not worth the money, for a sub optimal result.

Posts: 17045 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wade,

I will second what most of the posters have stated that adding a shotgun barrel to a double rifle is a poor idea. I have a Krieghoff Big Five in 470 NE that came with a set of 20 gauge barrels when I bought it from Alex at Eurooptic a few years ago. The rifle configuration handles well, is controllable to shoot, and more importantly balances well. When I swap out the rifle for the shotgun, I end up with a very heavy shotgun that is not balanced at all. It is very barrel whippy and does not naturally point well. It functions fine and fits the frame well as far as I can tell, but it sits in the case 99% of the time and I would never take the whole set on a safari as it is just too heavy. I would never buy one new or add it later for that reason and also because, in the case of Krieghoff, it is expensive at a $6195 list price. You can buy a really nice hunting grade side by side dedicated shotgun for that price or perhaps even nicer over and under. The concept sounds right but in practice, it doesn't work.

Paul

"Diligentia - Vis - Celeritas"
NRA Benefactor Member
Member DRSS

Posts: 1026 | Location: Southeastern PA, USA | Registered: 14 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
I have a 470 Heym with 20ga barrels. I was very surprised to see how well they balance and shoot. I prefer a strait stocked shotgun but have taken them on a couple trips and was very pleased. I don't use them often as I have many other SXS shotguns. But still was very happy at the balance and how they swung.

Mac

Posts: 1720 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My old .45/70 from the late 1870s was built by a guy famous for making fine shotguns, had a set of 20-gauge barrels added later, maybe by the original maker (very nicely fitted but not marked by him). The only other example of this guy making a rifle I've been able to find was a set that Rock Island sold for $34,500 a few months before I bought mine, that one was .45/70 and .40/60 barrels.

"If you’re innocent why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?”- Donald Trump

Posts: 9401 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A lot depends on who and how they are made. Not sure about side by side, but plenty of over and unders have been built with multi barrel sets.

The Tika 512 / Finnclassic etc is a good robust system. The German / Austrian's have built many double shotgun, with a combination gun and double rifle set of barrels. In come European countries there are strict limits on number of guns you can possess, but multi barrels don't count as seperate guns.

There have been several such sets going through the likes of the Holts auction. I have looked and handled a few. Some are frankly abominations, but others, in particular the Merkels, Brownings would be totally useable. A good over and under set of 16 Bore with 28" barrels, and then a pair of 9.3x74r barrels, and 16 / 7x65R combination seems to be the most popular.

If I want the flexibility whilst hunting of having both a shotgun and a rifle I use my Ferlach built combination gun in 16/7x65r. It's a great travelling gun. I never really felt restricted with a single shot rifle, nor with a single barrel shotgun - just focus on making the first shot count. Yes a double shotgun is nice on birds, but how often do you actually connect with both barrels? And if I lived and hunted in a country that did n't have stupid restrictions on the use of slugs, I would use slugs in the top barrel for when I need a double rifle.

Mine is stocked like and points like a shotgun. It is scoped, with claw mounts and I use a lace on leather cheek piece to give a good cheek weld for when using it as a rifle. I tend to be focused on deer, so carry it with scope on and cheek piece on, but if nothing is turning up, it takes but a moment to wip off the scope and cheek piece, they go in my back coat pocket and I can pick up a couple of ducks off the pond or a grouse on the way down the hill. And if a buck should pop out, slip in a rifle cartridge and shoot with open sights, or pop the scope on and then shoot it.

But appreciate that it is not a big heavy calibre side by side double. But in the UK at the end of empire, and when Kynoch went out business, many big double rifles were brought back to the UK. Because getting a licence for them was difficult, they were effectively worthless. Many were bored out to 410 or 28 bore shotguns. I have seen a few over the years. They are still quite heavy and handle more like a fine double rifle, but no reason why you could shoot flying game with one. Their barrels haven't been struck up like a fine shotgun, and they are certainly not a 4 1/2lb doubel 410 or a 5lb 28 bore.

Posts: 979 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Tika 512 / Finnclassic etc is a good robust system. The German / Austrian's have built many double shotgun, with a combination gun and double rifle set of barrels. In come European countries there are strict limits on number of guns you can possess, but multi barrels don't count as seperate guns.

I have a 512 system the rifle and extra shotgun barrels haven't seen the frame for decades.

There are counties when getting extra barrels.

One has to go through the same Licensing process as a extra firearm.

As stated before here the US they make very little sense.

So do they make sense for some yes for others no.

Posts: 19310 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When Bailey Bradshaw built a double in .22 K-hornet for me, I asked for a set of .410 barrels to go with it. Took some guinea fowl with them in Namibia after taking a young, dinner-sized warthog.
Regards, Tim

Posts: 1318 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The problem is the primer and the difference in fireing pins between a rifle and a shotty gun!!Its a can of worms, not saying it can't be done, but its not fun and games, and one better be handy making the switch! faint

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41758 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Verney Carron 20ga Azur SxS that I had built as a shotgun, then sent it back for a set of rifle barrels in .303B. The shotgun fit is key, but the rifle has sights so you can adapt a little if needed. so my guns dimensions are all about shotgun fit. My gun worked out well, weighing 5 lb 7 oz as a shotgun and 6.5 lb as a rifle. Add a pound more for scope and mount. I seldom use the scope. it’s one of the few guns that shoots well with irons and scope.

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2134 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’ve ordered a couple multi barrel set SXS shotguns. NEver end up using one of the barrels, would probably be the same for a rifle. Plus all the other points listed above. I’m sure if on safari there would be a camp shotgun one could use. Also when hunting big game for some reason I never seem to hunt birds or very rarely even though it’s often the intention to do so. Never seem to find the time.

Posts: 373 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 13 April 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
Marcus, I've also got a 9.3x74R and think a set of 28ga barrels would work pretty well. Not as well as a dedicated SxS shotgun, but probably a lot better than a set of 12ga barrels on a 500NE frame. I think there is a point, with the heavier caliber full nitro guns, that a set of shotgun barrels are really not balanced very well at all. That said, I don't have a setup like this so will defer to others opinions who do.

Todd I was thinking the same thing for my 9.3X74 double, and I have a Cape gun that is 16 ga on the left barrel, and 8x57JR on the right barrel that I was thinking about having a pair of 16 ga barrels made for it as well.
Both would make a fine pair for sure.

................................. old MacD37

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i dunno but i have a pair of beretta o/u one in 06 and the other in 9.3x74 plus a 20 ga barrel set that fits both. this has become by favorite african travel set. it fits in a single cased and when the opportunity arises the 20 ga bbls provide some tasty dinners

Posts: 13439 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aaron Little
posted Hide Post
There are far too many variables to this equation for there to be a definitive answer.

http://www.facebook.com/profil...p?id=100001646464847

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC
682-554-0044
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com

Posts: 1017 | Location: Mineola, TX | Registered: 15 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
After reading all of the above, I agree with PD Shooter and will continue to keep my custom big bore double rifles separate from my already perfect Parker shotguns.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2293 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote