Find
Notify
Tools

The New Merkel 691L/LS!!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have found my new baby!!! dancing

Man is this one everything I dreamed about!! Merkel´s new doublerifle drilling has perfect balance and low weight and everything!!

It comes in 8x57IRS/9,3x74R and weighs around 3,2 kilo. Barrels are 55 cm and in my hands it felt abolutely perfect!!!

I am going to trade my Krieghoff Classic for one if I can get one that is!! Only 20 or so are coming to Sweden this year so we´ll see!!

You can get a straight stock if you want to and sideplates and a lot of other extras!

The best thing is it´s cheap at around 8000USD here in Sweden.

Here´s the link to Merkel:

http://admin.merkel-waffen.de/websites/122/media/News/SJFlyerDBDrDEfinal.pdf

regards

Jim

PROUD MEMBER OF DRSS!!

Posts: 95 | Location: Sweden, Europe | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All well and good but it's an Over and Under !

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
500N
It is Double Rifle drilling, 2 rifles side by side on top with a 20ga shotgun bbl on the bottom.

Jim

That Merkel looks good.
I would recommend you get the 9,3x74R. I have a double rifle and a double rifle drilling in that calibre.

What calubre is your Krieghoff Classic

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is a nice looking drilling!

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
N E 450 No2!!

I have a Krieghoff Classic with Big Five stock. Caliber is 8x57IRS which is sufficient for all species here in Scandinavia. I purchased it some weeks ago and it shoots really well with Norma Oryx.
I bought it second hand and if I buy the Merkel 691 maybe I´ll get a 9,3x74R but havn´t decided yet!

I have posted some pics earlier: https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/760101804/m/954101076

Regards

Jim

PROUD MEMBER OF DRSS!!

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo#1:
I have found my new baby!!! dancing

Man is this one everything I dreamed about!! Merkel´s new doublerifle drilling has perfect balance and low weight and everything!!

Here´s the link to Merkel:

http://admin.merkel-waffen.de/websites/122/media/News/SJFlyerDBDrDEfinal.pdf

regards

Jim

Now that's a drilling I could live with!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim
If I had a Krieghoff in 8x57IRS that shot good [especially if i lived in Europe}, I would keep it, and get the drilling rifle bbls in 9,3x74R. That would make a great pair.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
Jimbo#1,

I hate you for ruining my financial life with this post! VERY nice looking modern drilling! Please order two and send one to me in 9.3x74R. $8,000 is a bargain for something like that.

I had an Ed Kettner double rifle drilling in 9x57R over 16g. Deer, antelope, elk, pheasant and mountain grouse with one beautiful gun. There's nothing like a double rifle drilling.

I hope you really enjoy yours.

Posts: 1064 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
N E 450 No2!

Well if only money wasn´t an issue! Frowner
Then I would buy the 691L and then some!

And to make things worse, hunters are only allowed to have a maximum of 6 rifles and/or shotguns for hunting purposes in Sweden. Period!!

So I have to think about how to make my "collection" as versatile and useful as I can!

My Classic is a real shooter and I attach a bad pic of the first four rounds fired fast at 80 meters:

I love this double allready but I have dreamt of a doublerifle drilling for a long time and to afford it I have to trade the Classic.

But No Pain-No Gain I guess!!

mt Al!

I hate you too!! Wink beer jumping

And I will enjoy it if I can get one!!

Let you know!!

Regards

Jim

PROUD MEMBER OF DRSS!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just had my new Krieghoff Optima ( called Quadro in N. America?) doublerifle drilling delivered. It is chambered for 2x 9.3x74R S/S on top and 20/76 on the bottom. I also got a short, light 22LR insert barrel for the shogun tube. The rifle barrels are adjustable for whatever load I please to use. It carries a 1.5-6x42 Karl Kaps scope in Recknagel pivot mounts. It was built to order at Krieghoff, hand-engraved with game scenes and select wood. Beautiful gun! It will handle most things in this part of the world.

Vasa

Posts: 78 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: 28 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
aaaahhh

if only they would build it in a 450 straight it would be perfect !

you could get an einstecklauf(insert bbl) for the shotgun barrel to use a 7 x 65r , a 9,3 x74r and even a 22 !

or the insert bbls could be put into the 450 barrels.....

it is a good step in the right direction.

maybe the second generation will be in bigger calibers. LET US HOPE SO !

TOMO577

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
tomo577,

They do build one in larger calibers, 2x 500/416NE or 470NE on top, side-by-side, and 20gauge on the bottom. Somewhere on this forum a Norwigan hunter showed a picture of the one he has, he had one barrel set in 470NE and one in 8x75R if I remember correctly.
I have no need for a 470 for my hunting, but the 9.3 serves me well.

Vasa

Posts: 78 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: 28 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HerrBerg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vasa:
tomo577,

They do build one in larger calibers, 2x 500/416NE or 470NE on top, side-by-side, and 20gauge on the bottom. Somewhere on this forum a Norwigan hunter showed a picture of the one he has, he had one barrel set in 470NE and one in 8x75R if I remember correctly.
I have no need for a 470 for my hunting, but the 9.3 serves me well.

Vasa

But that gun is built on the 96K platform, right? The 691L guns are built on a 28gauge mechanism, which makes it SOOOO neat. Mine is a 8x57RJS (two barrels) and a 20/76 under. Got an Apel swing mount with an illuminated Helia 1-5x24 on it.

It puts 8 shots in a 4" square at 80 meters, and I have not found one single reasonable load that the gun won't shoot acceptabel for its intended purposes. Extremely easy to shoot with, one points the gun in the general direction of boar or red deer... and they just die. Haven't ever used the shotgun barrel while hunting yet though (had the gun for a year now).

The single drawback is that there is a manual safety. My other shotguns all have automatic safeties which makes me a bit paranoid about how I treat the gun after reloading.... Maybe I will forget to put the safety on, some day? Haven't happened yet, but it bugs me.

Maybe someone offers to trade it for an old remington 870, to help ease my mind Big Grin

Write hard and clear about what hurts
-E. Hemingway

Posts: 1723 | Location: Stockholm, Sweden | Registered: 18 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
quote:
And to make things worse, hunters are only allowed to have a maximum of 6 rifles and/or shotguns for hunting purposes in Sweden. Period!!

Thank God for the Second Amendment! I'd be in a Swedish prison for five lifetimes with this law! tu2 Big Grin