New
Find
Notify
Tools

Merkel 140 9.3x74R
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am thinking about buying a 9.3x74R double rifle. I have had several Merkel 140's over the years and they were very well regulated. With the double rifle market being what it is I wondered if there were any 140's out there in the 5K price range.

Posts: 136 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 04 March 2021Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the 140 much better than the 141. That one is too small and toy-like to me. The 140 is a REAL double rifle :-)

Posts: 20076 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Biebs, I think you are 100% right on that. I also don't like the adjustable regulation feature of the 141.

Posts: 136 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 04 March 2021Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You used to be able to find the 140 in 9.3x74R used at around $5,500, but they've gone up like everything else. There's one on Gun Broker now for $5,999 and it has ejectors and 26" barrels.

Posts: 20076 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
I have a Merkel mod 140 double rifle chambered for 9.3x74 that I have had for several years. and that rifle is perfectly regulated and it will group four shots, two from each barrel, under a silver dollar at 100 yds. This rifle is fitted with ejectors and a set trigger for the right barrel. I would not want it in any other chambering, because I also have a Merkel 470NE double as well, that has taken two elephants, and four cape buffalo by its previous owner. These two doubles make me a fine pair for a trip to Africa. The 9.3X74 for the light stuff, and the 470 for the bad boys, but in a pinch, I wouldn't hesitate to take a cape buffalo with the 9.3X74 Merkel if that was in my hands when I came in close quarters with a buffalo.

............................Good luck! oldMacD37

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Biebs, I saw the rifle you mentioned and made an offer to the seller of $5000.00 if there were no bids. The seller's not wanting to coming down right now. I also had a similar pair of 140's as MAC has years ago. I had a 500 Nitro and a 9.3 both were excellent rifles.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, I like Merkels as well.

One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
I have a 141 and I had a lot of doubts and frustration with it at first. I thought I had made a big mistake buying the little double but JudgeG helped me sort it out and since then I love it. It has a Leupold VXR 1-4 and I added a good recoil pad. Since then I have killed a lot of plains game, pigs, whitetail deer and even doubled on turkeys one day. It has killed game at over 200 yards and it is light and easy to carry. I have put over 500 rounds through it and it is definitely one of my favorite rifles.

Safe shooting.....Larry

Posts: 887 | Location: Wichita Falls Texas or Colombia | Registered: 25 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I looked at the 141 several years ago at Hendershots shop in Hagerstown but was concerned about the regulation of the rifle. I'm glad your rifle is OK. The one thing I liked about the 141, as well as I can remember was the option of a single trigger which I liked. In any event I placed a bid on the 140 Biebs told me about for the opening price and hopefully I'll be the only person interested in the rifle.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Biebs for the information on the 140 listed on GunBroker. I won the bid and am now waiting for the rifle.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great! Enjoy!

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tpr.1919:
Thanks Biebs for the information on the 140 listed on GunBroker. I won the bid and am now waiting for the rifle.

Congratulations sir! I think you will love that little double rifle. I have one, chambered for 9,3x74 that I have been hunting with for several years, and it has never given me problem one!
................... tu2 old MacD37
Mine has ejectors, and is perfectly regulated

DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The rifle is scheduled for delivery on Monday and I'm very excited to be back using a double. There is just something about a double rifle that once you use one you just cant get them out of your system. When you are without one, only someone who has used them understands that longing and sense of emptiness that comes with not having one. Might sound extreme but I think everyone who loves them feels the same way.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
I'll never be without a double rifle unless they decide to pull a Hitler on us and take all the firearms away or make it so hard and expensive to own them.
................... old MacD37 [

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Amen MAC