THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Bill Jones and other huge collections...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bill Jones and other huge collections...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don’t put much into other people’s rifles, but it is very cool that the rifles you read your heroes using to shoot the biggest game in the world with are still being used, especially by someone like Bill Jones who owns so many.

Those twin Lang .450’s owned by Percival probably killed 100’s of the big five.

Elmer did so much to further double rifles, I liked those too.

Posts: 1278 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
It's amazing to think about guns that were ending the life of animals well before my father was even born.

I have a few tacticool guns, but I prefer those made or designed prior to my birth. Well,that's all except those silly Glocks and SIGs.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DCS Member:
It's amazing to think about guns that were ending the life of animals well before my father was even born.

I have a few tacticool guns, but I prefer those made or designed prior to my birth. Well,that's all except those silly Glocks and SIGs.

I got to handle Tony Seth Smiths Rigby 450 that his mom gave him. It was amazing to think of what he has done with it. And what a beautiful rifle.

One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BaxterB:
The outcast rifle of these historic rifles in Hemingway’s 577. It was given to him, he rarely, if ever used it (I’ve read the buff he posed with was shot with his 06) and I honestly don’t think he even liked the thing. The 06 is another matter. That rifle he loved better than any of his wives I think...

Wasn't the .577 the rifle he used when he wanted to try to shoot a German submarine?

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2796 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:

...Did Papa not use the 577 to stop a rhino charge?

I don't recall that but do remember he claimed to have shot one running at about 300 yards with his Springfield on the first safari.

Posts: 4955 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is correct. That was on the Green Hills of Africa Safari.

I think I remember a picture of Hemmingway standing a charge from a rhino from the Under Kilimanjaro Safari. I think the picture is in Hemingway’s Guns book.

I have it at my in laws.

Posts: 10826 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
That is correct. That was on the Green Hills of Africa Safari.

I think I remember a picture of Hemmingway standing a charge from a rhino from the Under Kilimanjaro Safari. I think the picture is in Hemingway’s Guns book.

I have it at my in laws.

Just flipped through HG (1st) and didn’t see a pic of it. Maybe it’s in the 2nd edition, which I also have but it’s in one of my 30 boxes of books I’ve yet to unpack...

...and later...just found 2nd edition...no pics of hem and rhino. I just don’t think he used it. He had it on the second safari and took pics with Earl Theisson, but seems more for show...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you Baxter. I won’t be near that book until Saturday.

Now, I wonder what photo I am thinking about?

Posts: 10826 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I booked my first safari with John Ormiston, who was then with Holland & Holland.

In addition to Denys Finch-Hatton’s double rifle, John also acquired several of Henry Stanley's rifles and and at least one of his revolvers.

I believe Finch-Hatton’s Lancaster double fetched a six figure price.

John was not a collector, however.

As for collectors, I would not say that they collect out of greed or one-upmanship.

I think they do it because these firearms are historic, or of peerless quality, and because ownership of them brings their owners joy and happiness.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13384 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thank you Baxter. I won’t be near that book until Saturday.

Now, I wonder what photo I am thinking about?

I think you are thinking of the shot in Ruark’s Africa Adventure when he is standing with his double and the rhino is out a bit pacing, then decides to charge...

At least that’s the image that pops in My mind...;-)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just watched the Classic Rifles DVD. The Keith 470 WR is a single trigger rifle with a bolted safety.

Does that help you Huvuis?

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
Didn’t Hemingway use the .577 for U Boat hunting?

Marcus Cady

DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
He had the 577 on Pilar to put holes in the hull of U-Boats. Fortunately, he never engaged a German U-Boat.

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
He had the 577 on Pilar to put holes in the hull of U-Boats. Fortunately, he never engaged a German U-Boat.

Correct.

LHeym, didn’t you see one of Teddy Roosevelt’s hubs recently?

Marcus Cady

DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Teddy Roosevelt Holland and Holland 500/450 Royal non-detachable Sidelock rifle lives at the Fraizer museum in Louisville. As of last year when I was last visited the Fraizer Museum the rifle was still there. I do not know with all the hell raising going on of it is still there.

I have a sneaky suspicion the rifle was owned or donated by a member of the Brown-Foreman family. That is just a semi educated guess.

When the NRA show came to Louisville the Fraizer museum had all the rifles and handguns then on display with the museum at the show. I knew what the items were. The person in charge of the display let me hold the Roosevelt double. I have a few photos of the double under glass from last year (2018 maybe) somewhere. They were posted in this sub forum.

The last time I went back the the Fraizer Museum the LaMat revolvers and most firearms were no longer on display.

Forgive me for being dense, but is that what you were referring to when you said “hubs”?

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Teddy Roosevelt Holland and Holland 500/450 Royal non-detachable Sidelock rifle lives at the Fraizer museum in Louisville. As of last year when I was last visited the Fraizer Museum the rifle was still there. I do not know with all the hell raising going on of it is still there.

I have a sneaky suspicion the rifle was owned or donated by a member of the Brown-Foreman family. That is just a semi educated guess.

When the NRA show came to Louisville the Fraizer museum had all the rifles and handguns then on display with the museum at the show. I knew what the items were. The person in charge of the display let me hold the Roosevelt double. I have a few photos of the double under glass from last year (2018 maybe) somewhere. They were posted in this sub forum.

The last time I went back the the Fraizer Museum the LaMat revolvers and most firearms were no longer on display.

Forgive me for being dense, but is that what you were referring to when you said “hubs”?

I thought you were the one. Very cool.

I was on my phone and my fat fingers typed hubs instead og guns.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
I think buying a gun with documented provenance is kinda cool... I think taking it hunting again is even cooler.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7522 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
quote:
I just watched the Classic Rifles DVD. The Keith 470 WR is a single trigger rifle with a bolted safety.

Does that help you Huvuis?

Just went back and read one of the letters and it is a 476 he is trying to get from Uncle Floyd.
Don't know why I didn't take note of that before...

Posts: 3239 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
One of D.F-H's H&H doubles was for sale with one of the Brokers at DALLAS, and again SCI, Reno this year. I recall Wm Larkin Moore?

Seems to me that collecting fine "stuff" is better than cash... you can feel it, admire it, shoot it, hunt with it, and is very transportable.... ie an easy way to transfer wealth, without "chicken tracks," on a Sunday afternoon in your pickup or Suburban.....??

Cheers,

470EDDY

Posts: 2559 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry, Bror von Blixen's H&H 577 still with Country Pursuits.... over the top pricing. See on Guns International.
Cheers,

470EDDY

Posts: 2559 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote