THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Clark .405 Double Rifle-with video
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Clark .405 Double Rifle-with video
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted
Has anyone owned or shot one of these doubles from Clark Custom Guns in Louisiana?
http://www.clarkcustomguns.com/DblRifle.html

with video
http://www.guntalk.tv/gtv/libr...02%3A32%20CST%202010

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2293 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was just looking at that link from another gun forum...wonder if they're any good?

If you think every possible niche has been filled already, thank a wildcatter!

Posts: 2287 | Location: CO | Registered: 14 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim Clark's name is certainly well know in pistol circles! However, for $5-6K I would have thought you could get a used Merkel or Chapuis in a "real" African caliber.
FWIW, Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,

I just hung up the phone with Jimmy Clark. The rifles are built on CZ 20 or 12 gauge shotguns, depending on caliber. They buy complete shotguns because CZ will not sell the monoblocks. That is something they are looking at though. Five thousand dollars gets you the rifle with the CZ stock, one standing rear sight, regulated at 100 yards. You can go up depending on wood requirements. I have owned Jimmy Clark 1911's and his work is among the absolute best. Check the site, and give him a call.

Rich

Peter,

last I checked the 450-400 3 1/4, 450 3 1/4, 470 NE and 500 3' NE were real African calibers. Look at the website and call.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ISS agreed! I was referring to the 405 which the original post referred to. I did go to the web site before I posted. However I got the price from the video. I assumed that the $5-6K was for the 405, and that the bigger calibers would be more expensive. If not, then a 450 x 3 14 for $5-6K would be an outstanding buy. Is that what they go for?
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Verrrry interesting! I assume Clark goes over the lock internals on the CZs first. There have been doubling/failure to fire issues with the Huglu CZ shotties.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16300 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
Jim Clark's name is certainly well know in pistol circles! However, for $5-6K I would have thought you could get a used Merkel or Chapuis in a "real" African caliber.
FWIW, Peter.

Peter when you find a used Merkel in a REAL AFRICAN CALIBER, for $5-6K, and you don't need or want it please let me know. I have two Merkel double rifles,in African chamberings, and I don't think I'd intertain the idea of selling either one for $5-6K. That would be the bargain of the year, for someone! thumb

On the Clark conversion, it looks nice in the video, but may be a dog in your hands. The one thing in it's favor is the maker himself, because he is picky about his own guns, and his work on pistols if top drawer. I would like to handle, and shoot one chambered for 450NE 3 1/4" to see for myself how it handled, and shot. If that rifle handled, ans shot well and sold at the $5-6K range, then I think seriously about buying one of them. Not based on a internet film, however.

................. BOOM........... holycow

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Fan
posted Hide Post
This is my one. Pre-WW2, Belgium made.

I bought it ~2001 for the fantastice price of 3600.-DM, today ~1800.-€.

Martin

Posts: 824 | Location: Munich, Bavaria, thats near Germany | Registered: 23 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mac, it has been a while since I have been in the market for a double, but as I recollect I could have bought a Merkel in 375 H&H for around $5-6K.
Ol' Ray advised against it and so I spent more and got my K gun in 500/416. I have never regretted it.
Peter.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
Mac, it has been a while since I have been in the market for a double, but as I recollect I could have bought a Merkel in 375 H&H for around $5-6K.
Ol' Ray advised against it and so I spent more and got my K gun in 500/416. I have never regretted it.
Peter.

Knowing Old Ray the way I do it wasn't because it was a Merkel that he didn't reccomend it, but because it was chambered for the 375 H&H. I know for a fact he did not reccomend the K-gun in any chambering. Thats just Ray.

Still used Merkels in chamberings of 470NE and 500NE, and the 140Es chambered for the 9.3X74R in good nic are selling for more than any $6K. As I said my 9.3x74R 140E was bought new for $4600 eleven years ago,but you couldn't buy mine $6K today, and the 470NE was bought used for $7K and included 5 boxes of Federal factory ammo, a cape Buffalo soft case, the fitted case, and a custom Murray sling,I almost broke my arm getting my money out. You couldn't by that one for under $9K today for the rifle alone.
If the price you quote was for a new Merkel that must have been a long time ago, because they were only cheap till they got a few on the market for people to talk up, then the went up considerably by two years after they came on the market. The 375H&H, and the 416 Rigby never sold well, and used they sell even cheaper, because of the high pressure of the 375H&H, and the rimless case of both.

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any new info out on these yet?

"If a man can't trust himself to carry a loaded rifle out of camp without risk of shooting somebody, then he has no business ever handling a rifle at all and should take up golf or tennis instead." John Taylor

Ruger Alaskan 416
Ruger African 223

Posts: 336 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 29 March 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Boy, talk about resurrection!!!!
Peter.

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Peter: I think ol' Teddy Roosevelt would take umbrage at the implication the 405 was not a "real" African caliber! Smiler

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7136 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nemo .450
posted Hide Post
I handled 2 or 3 of them a couple years ago.

The .450NE was built on a 12ga action, but it had a straight stock. Not conducive to recoil reduction and attentuation.

All were barrel heavy, but not unbearably so.

They seemed solid, but the monoblock seam poorly done. There was a gap between the bbl and the monoblock that was very obvious (about a 1/32" would be my guess). Also, there were "gaps" around the bases of the bbls inside the monoblock, when you look at/into the chambers. The "gaps" were filled with solder (I guess), but it was poorly fitted.

Everything seemed "solid" and tight and they look nice from a distance, but I don't think I would trust my life to one against dangerous game.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him. -- John 3:36

http://www.accurateinnovations.com - http://aigunstocks.com/home-2/

NRA Life Member
DSC
SCI
DRSS - STILL waiting on MY "Taksdale" .450NE or a refund... coffee

"Young knight, learn to love God and revere women, so that your honour grows. Practice knighthood and learn the Art that dignifies you, and brings you honour in wars." (Johannes Liechtenauer, 14th century)

Posts: 279 | Location: North-East Georgia | Registered: 12 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will buy all the Merkel 140-1's or 140-2's in good condition that I can get my hands on, if anyone wants to sell one in the $5000-$6000 price range, let me know.

The CZ Huglu action is not suitable for a double rifle, and I have sold dozens of these guns in 12, 20, 28 gauge. They are the most afforable sxs shotgun, with very poor wood, yet quality metalwork on the market. But to consider using one for a double in anything more potent than a .30-30 is not prudent.

Yes, California Rigby built their guns on Merkel shotguns actions, with double locking lugs, Greener cross-bolts, and side clips, and in-house re-inforced actions; however, CZ's are not made to the same tolerances as Merkels nor with the strength to withstand the truly big bores.

Mike

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Peter: I think ol' Teddy Roosevelt would take umbrage at the implication the 405 was not a "real" African caliber!

Oh how one's words come back to haunt him!!!
Peter.

One Of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been seeking an English or Continental double in 405 for several years...and yes, I missed the nnice Manton/German gun recently on GI!! RATS!!...on a short road trip and not looking at GI!!
Frankly, the 405 is quite a strong caliber for most big NA game like Moose, Elk deer and at least big black bear. TR really did test the 405 against many animals in Africa up to Lion in his trusty Win Mod. 95...which I already have one in my collection...and have nicely whacked a few big pigs with it!!
Regardless of its rarity in Doubles, the 405 is a VERY practical cartridge being straight case and rimmed. I am surprised there wer'nt more and NOT surprised to see new makers including it in their lines now!
If anyone knows of a nice English gun, or nice Belgian/German gun out there in 405, let me know, I am vulnerable...but NOT at prices you see for the Webley and Powell on the gun web sites...maybe at competitive prices to a 400/360, for an English gun, less for Continental etc...
Yes, I probably would buy one by VC or even Merkel if they built one??
Think about it, rimmed, straight case,avaiable brass and loaded CHEAP v English stuff, and 29xxfp energy at the muzzle...fun and easy to shoot.
What more could we ask for??

470EDDY

Posts: 2538 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
470: I have one of the new 1895s A Teddy Roosevelt African Safari Centennial that I plant to take buffalo hunting with me next time. I've developed a load using 300gr TSXs, North Fork softs and solids @ 2200 fps that I am convinced will be enough to cleanly take a buffalo. I love that cartridge and the 1895 and I admit a 405 double would be cool indeed!

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7136 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote