THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    How Is Dbl Rifle LOP Measured
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How Is Dbl Rifle LOP Measured
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Is it from center of Butt curve to rear trigger guard or to rear trigger or midway between triggers or to front trigger?

Bob Nisbet
DRSS & 348 Lever Winchester Lover
Temporarily Displaced Texan
If there's no food on your plate when dinner is done, you didn't get enough to eat.

Posts: 830 | Location: Texas and Alabama | Registered: 07 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Someone said from center of Butt curve to center of forward trigger.

Bob Nisbet
DRSS & 348 Lever Winchester Lover
Temporarily Displaced Texan
If there's no food on your plate when dinner is done, you didn't get enough to eat.

Posts: 830 | Location: Texas and Alabama | Registered: 07 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
I guess that is the dilemma with a double trigger gun. LOP on any long gun is the distance from the centre of the butt plate or recoil pad to the centre of trigger shoe. On a double where the front trigger is usually pulled first or used the most the LOP will be to the front trigger if you want the LOP to be perfectly suited for the first shot. Up to the user as to what is most comfortable or what works best coming from the front trigger to the rear. Obviously for those wanting to use the rear trigger first then they can set up LOP to suit that.

A LOP measurement from centre of butt to centre of front trigger would provide consistency for comparison purposes between different types of long guns but that is all. There is no law about it.

Posts: 3849 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
On the English measuring paper I have, from the center of the front trigger to the center of the butt plate.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
On the English measuring paper I have, from the center of the front trigger to the center of the butt plate.
Cal

.................Absolutely!
................................. tu2 oldMacD37

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I always measured toe, center and heel. Pitch is important as well.

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dutch44:

Not sure what that achieves. Increasing LOP based on heel measurement decreases LOP on the toe measurement and vice versa. LOP from centre of the butt is the average of the heel and toe LOP measurements is it not?

The butt should sit properly into the shoulder, not heel low or toe high as either of these two mountings can increase felt recoil and not provide consistent bedding and sight attainment.
Obviously if a shooter consistently holds a rifle heel high or toe low then they can tailor LOP to suit but best to hold the rifle correctly in the first place.

Posts: 3849 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eagle27:
quote:

Not sure what that achieves. Increasing LOP based on heel measurement decreases LOP on the toe measurement and vice versa. LOP from centre of the butt is the average of the heel and toe LOP measurements is it not?...

The measurement from the front trigger to the toe, center, and heel indicate the pitch needed. The 'LOP Average' is pretty meaningless if one is trying to optimize fit. Pitch is important, but often ignored.

Posts: 872 | Location: S. E. Arizona | Registered: 01 February 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Alec. Lop is just one measurement for proper fit. As you correctly pointed out there are several measurements that go into proper fit.

one of us
posted Hide Post
front trigger to center of butt stock..one end to the other so to speak,,you have to reach the front trigger to shoot the gun for goodness sakes..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
front trigger to center of butt stock..one end to the other so to speak,,you have to reach the front trigger to shoot the gun for goodness sakes..

Exactly, the OP asked the question in regards LOP being centre of butt to either front or rear trigger?
Technically the LOP term means from centre of butt to centre of the inside curve of the trigger in all longarms, with nothing to do with heel, toe or pitch. These last mentioned three and other measurements such as drop and comb height etc., all contribute to the 'fit' of a longarm but LOP is LOP and would be the longest measurement on a double trigger gun i.e. to the front trigger.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I won't belabor the point but "longest" distance from the front trigger is the toe of the stock, not the center. My last 2 cents.

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Any one want to tell me about the variables of having a long neck (like me?)

Wink

This was very educational

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iF6bBg5rx3M

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
I won't belabor the point but "longest" distance from the front trigger is the toe of the stock, not the center. My last 2 cents.

You have taken it out of context. Already well established that the measure point for LOP at the butt end is from the centre of the butt, not the heel or toe, the OP knew that. The LOP on a double trigger gun is the longest measurement which is from the centre of the butt to the centre of the front trigger not the shorter measure to the rear trigger.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The toe of the stock has nothing to do with the LOP of a double, that's common knowledge, in fact its the same with a bolt action or lever action..keep in mind the measurement of the Lop is below and along the bore line..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote