THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Westley Richards Drop Lock 300 HH Magnum - update with test shooting
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Westley Richards Drop Lock 300 HH Magnum - update with test shooting
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi guys, I have promised some of you to present my new ( old ) baby that I was lucky enough to get my hands on and buy from a gentleman in Sweden. Due to Covid, I was not able to bring it home until early July this year. Now after beeing to service with a gunsmith and making rings for the scope mount, it is ready for test shooting at the range. I will get back to the test shooting later.

That said this rifle is a part of a story. My interest for double rifles startet in 2011/2012 and in 2013 I aquired a Verney Carron 450 NE directly from the factory in France. Since then I have always wanted an English double rifle and especially a WR Drop Lock. After hard thinking and visiting the WR factory in Birmingham talking to the manager Trigger twice, I finally closed my eyes and signed an order for a new WR Drop Lock double in 470 NE. After approx 18 months I had to cancel that order in February this year due to different reasons. ( Lady problem ) In summer 2018 I first met the gentleman in Sweden and test fired the old 300 HH Magnum. I did not buy it at that time, but after cancelling the new one in February I took contact again and we agreed on a price. I badly wanted a Drop Lock and here it is.

The rifle is not in its original condition. It is told to be produced in 1925. Since then it got a replacement stock with a semi beaver fore end. ( I guess Todd Williams will turn in his grave now - if he had been burried rotflmo ) It also had its barrels replaced by Westley Richards factory in 1975 and caliber changed from 318 WR to 300 HH Magnum. ( Wish they had not done that as 318 would have been a better caliber. On the other hand factory ammo is more available in 300 HH Mag from Hornady and Federal ) The rifles weights 4 kilo without the scope. With scope and rings approx 4,6 kilo. It is nice to shoot with and I will mainly use it for moose hunting here in Norway.

I am very satisfied and happy to finally be the owner of a WR Drop Lock double rifle. A dream has come through. Since I am not familiar with presenting photoes on AR our fellow friend Biebs has been kindly willing to put in the photoes. Hope you enjoy it guys Smiler

Morten

The more I know, the less I wonder !

Posts: 1137 | Location: Oslo area, Norway | Registered: 26 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 20078 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted Hide Post
Fantastic rifle.

You can borrow money, but you can't borrow time. Don't wait, go now.
Savannah Safaris Namibia
Otjitambi Trails & Safaris
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA

Posts: 1235 | Location: Bridgeport, Tx | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
tu2 tu2 tu2

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the new "old" rifle Morten, but damn dude, why the beaver tail?

So close to perfection!

BOOM

one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
That's about as good as it gets, hope you have a blast with it!

Posts: 1064 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Enjoy! tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:

So close to perfection!

BOOM

Ha ha Todd - I knew it. rotflmo

But relax man - the rifle will receive a new stock with a proper splinter fore end next year. Just did not have the time before the rifle going to the woods this season. I guess that the beaver tail was popular in the mid 70's as I understand that the stock was made about the same time the barrels were replaced.

Be patient with me Todd.. Wink

Morten

Posts: 1137 | Location: Oslo area, Norway | Registered: 26 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lovely lovely rifle.

Hope you will have it in a lifetime.

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the rifle.
Hope it gets blooded on moose soon!!!

Shame on the 470, bloody women getting involved in men’s business always is a problem.

Me I’d stick with the 470 and get a new women diggin

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by The Norwegian:
quote:

So close to perfection!

BOOM

Ha ha Todd - I knew it. rotflmo

But relax man - the rifle will receive a new stock with a proper splinter fore end next year. Just did not have the time before the rifle going to the woods this season. I guess that the beaver tail was popular in the mid 70's as I understand that the stock was made about the same time the barrels were replaced.

Be patient with me Todd.. Wink

Morten

All good old boy. It's a fine rifle. Love the caliber as well.

Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dreams.

Posts: 10681 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
WOW!! Good as it Gets!!

CONGRATULATIONS!!

ENVIOUS....

CheerZ,

470EDDY

Posts: 2545 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Biebs will put in two photoes of the test shooting from last Saturday.

To sight in the scope I used 4 shots from the bench – shooting all 4 from the right barrel. After the scope was sighted in, I waited a bit to cool down the rifle. Then I shot 2 shots right/left barrel from the bench and you see the result in photo no 1. I did not believe my eyes. I waited a while again to cool down the rifle a bit. Asked a friend of mine to do the next 2 right/left shots. Photo no 2 shows what happened.

Even though his left and my left barrel shot moved a little bit, I must say I am over the moon about the rifles regulation and spread. I did not test it anymore – I will do more testing on Thursday and next weekend.

Morten

One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 20078 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Now THAT is a sweet shooting double rifle! Congratulations!

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13358 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Morten, incredible regulation. Many bolt rifles can't do that with one barrel!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Im no fan of the beavertail forend, but in your case I could live with it or grab the cabinet rasp and checkering tool and get after it...Nice gun and when they shoot like that, all is forgiven.. tu2

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41787 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lovely old rifle. After completely refurbishing my grandfather's 375 H&H flanged magnum, which has been in our family for 3 generations and putting a scope on it I now believe that I should have just had it serviced and left the outside as is and unscoped as well.

Arjun Reddy

Posts: 2534 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice rifle. Its not original, so its a shooter rather than a safe queen. Beavertail’s make sense on rifles as they give a better grip and in cold climates steel barrels can feel awfully cold. Don’t spend money on new stock / forend, use it for hunting instead so you add your own story to this old rifle.

Posts: 979 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Heym SR20:
Beavertail’s make sense on rifles as they give a better grip

Only true if you haven't learned the proper way to hold a double rifle.

Let me guess, you still drink fine bourbon diluted with Coca-Cola?

clap

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I remember decades ago, eating with a group in a very nice restaurant and having a nice conversation with the men and ladies around me. And then, this woman across the table told me that I did not know how to eat a baked potato. I was a bit gobsmacked by this, and did not know what to say. However, the very next day, or the day after, I successfully crapped out the dinner, including the potato, and I have always wondered since then, what exactly is the right way to eat a potato.

And what is the right way to hold a double rifle?

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SlamFire:
quote:
quote:

You wrap your fingers around the barrels. You don't "hold" onto the forearm in the same manner as with a bolt action rifle or an O/U shotgun. The forearm on a SxS gun is only there to hold the barrels onto the action.

This video is a SxS shotgun, not a double rifle, but the concept is the same. Notice how his left hand grips the gun. He's gripping the barrels, not the wood of the forearm. Only difference for me is I wrap the index finger over as well instead of extending it down the bottom of the barrels. With a hard kicking gun, you need all fingers over the top.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_QgCEgtT0E

More appropriate with the heavy kickers than Morton's 300 H&H, but that's how you control recoil in these rifles ... by gripping the barrels.

Look at all the old doubles. Although there were a few, you typically didn't see many beavertails until doubles started making a comeback in popularity once Hornady started making ammo for double rifles again back in the 90's or so. Folks new to the DR game didn't understand the original design and the beavertail made sense to them because of the way O/U shotguns are built. On those guns, yes, you hold the wood, not the barrels. But a SxS should be held by gripping the barrels.

I've owned doubles of both beavertail and splinter. Without a doubt, the splinter is always the more sleek and easier handling design. Not to mention, the splinter is much prettier!

Cool

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by SlamFire:
quote:
quote:

You wrap your fingers around the barrels. You don't "hold" onto the forearm in the same manner as with a bolt action rifle or an O/U shotgun. The forearm on a SxS gun is only there to hold the barrels onto the action.

This video is a SxS shotgun, not a double rifle, but the concept is the same. Notice how his left hand grips the gun. He's gripping the barrels, not the wood of the forearm. Only difference for me is I wrap the index finger over as well instead of extending it down the bottom of the barrels. With a hard kicking gun, you need all fingers over the top.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_QgCEgtT0E

More appropriate with the heavy kickers than Morton's 300 H&H, but that's how you control recoil in these rifles ... by gripping the barrels.

Look at all the old doubles. Although there were a few, you typically didn't see many beavertails until doubles started making a comeback in popularity once Hornady started making ammo for double rifles again back in the 90's or so. Folks new to the DR game didn't understand the original design and the beavertail made sense to them because of the way O/U shotguns are built. On those guns, yes, you hold the wood, not the barrels. But a SxS should be held by gripping the barrels.

I've owned doubles of both beavertail and splinter. Without a doubt, the splinter is always the more sleek and easier handling design. Not to mention, the splinter is much prettier!

Cool

That is very interesting. That is a type of shooting I don't do, when I shot rapid fire in NRA Highpower competition I kept my hands off the barrel unless it was freezing outside, and then only wrapped my fingers around the tube, to warm them up, after the string was finished. In precision rifle shooting, any pressure on the barrel will shift the point of impact.

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Beavertails are an abomination. Just awful.

Hold the barrels. Just as Todd has described.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13358 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
yeah, wrap your hands around the barrel, the double seldom gets hot if ever in a hunting situation, at least on DG...

Holding a double is use the shooting hand to pull the butt back pretty hard into your shoulder, do the same with the forend, grasp the barrels and snug the gun back to assist the right hand..at least it works for me and the gun doesn't get away from me..not just on doubles on any recoiling rifle..If this doesn;t work for you, don't do it..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41787 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi guys,

Intresting discussion. Both sides have good points...

But I have made a promise to Todd to avoid further harassment and a splinter it will be ... old Big Grin

And as I have now sold all my Blasers ( sorry Biebs ) and bought the new Beretta BRX1 I guess I am off the hook for good ... dancing

Morten

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Damn Morten,

Next thing you'll be telling us you're drinking good bourbon without being diluted with Cola and you prefer natural brunettes instead of bleach blond gals with fake boobs!! I do believe you're becoming refined in your tastes, ditching the Blaser's and beavertails!

clap

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Damn Morten,

Next thing you'll be telling us you're drinking good bourbon without being diluted with Cola and you prefer natural brunettes instead of bleach blond gals with fake boobs!! I do believe you're becoming refined in your tastes, ditching the Blaser's and beavertails!

clap

Damn Todd,

You are correct.. I do not fancy fake boobs.. Big Grin With regard to bourbon, I am not a whisky man. More red wine and gin tonics tu2

The beaver of the VC 450 will go first, then the WR 300 HH... I'll keep you all informed in due time Wink

Morten

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
There ought to be a law . . . !
Jeez! Beautiful rifle! Congratulations! dancing

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote