Find
Notify
Tools

8-bore double rifles
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Wildcatter
posted
I am starting this thread to track the progress of my 8-Bore double rifle project and ask for other people’s experiences with 8-bore rifles and shotguns. I will post a bunch of pictures soon.

I got very interested in the early wild cat big bores as a kid, then my interest shifted to the British double rifle rounds. I studied my dad’s PO Ackley books until the spines cracked and fell away and Jack Lott’s big-bores special issue of Guns&Ammo magazine until the covers fell off! About the time I was 15, I found out about 8 and 4-bore rifles and my imagination was ignited! I just couldn’t believe human beings shot rifles that big!

Fast forward to 2017. I got the idea of putting my home machine shop to use building an 8-bore single shot rifle. I found a man in Oregon who made 8 and 4-bore barrels. He made me one barrel that suited cases from Rocky Mountain Cartridges. I was slowly making progress when, in 2019, I found an auction on Gunbroker for a London-proofed, double Jones Underlever, 8-bore shotgun with back-action locks. That gun was listed at a low asking price but, by some miracle, did not sell! I called the shop that had it in Minnesota and made an offer. They spoke with the owner that had it consigned and they took the offer!!! The owner mentioned that the gun had been used by their grandfather as a market hunting gun on the Great Lakes before 1900. When I received it, I noticed the gun had not been abused and locked up like a bank vault. My gun is a London proofed 8-bore Jones proofed between 1875 and 1883. It has no makers marking anywhere on the gun. Perfect for the project. I called my barrel maker to order a second barrel for an 8-bore rifled barrel set to be made. The barrel maker had suffered a stroke and could not make a second cut-rifled barrel for my project!

I finally found a shop that would work with me to make barrels. The barrels are to my specs. My rifle will use a 3.44” 8-bore case. The barrels are 11 lands and grooves, .850 groove diameter, .840 land diameter. One turn in 60 inches. My molds drop 0.852” bullets and .856” balls. After some quality control issues with factory brass, I am making my own cases on a buddy’s CNC lathe. I bought 12’ of brass rod to make about 32-35 pieces.

The 8-bore double is now with a master smith in north Texas who studied under Bailey Bradshaw. Aaron Little has quoted me an 18-month turnaround on the double 8 barrel set and I couldn’t be more excited. It will be proofed at around 20,000 psi and will shoot a 1335gr bullet at 1350fps at around 15-16kpsi.

Dies are 2 years out with CH4D so I decided to make my own taper crimp die and roll with it. If I find a need, I’ll have a set of dies made. At 15kpsi, I don’t know how much resizing I’ll need to do.

Post about your experiences with 8-bores and I’ll post picture soon.

RC

Shoot the largest caliber you can shoot well, and practice, practice, practice.

Posts: 788 | Location: Central Texas, U.S. | Registered: 20 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What a great project! I can understand that you are excited.

Posts: 458 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 28 April 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't own an 8 bore rifle, but I have shot one belonging to a good friend. It is a beautiful Alexander Henry rifle.
I can tell you that the people (mainly gun writers) who tell you the recoil is just a big push, have never shot one. The rifle comes back fast, and it comes back hard.

Good luck with your project - please post pictures!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
have never shot one.

I notice that a lot, God save me from experts.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yup, no such thing as a slow-burn rate in Black Powder!

Posts: 20075 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
I've been playing with 8-bores for 20+ years. I kept one double rifle 8 that is the love of my life and have two double 8 shotguns for sale. I can send my ballistics and chronograph information if it will be of any use to you.
Good luck with your project.
Cheers,
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wildcatter
posted Hide Post
Thank you Cal. I am collecting any and all information I can on the subject. Please PM me with details about the double 8s for sale.

Posts: 788 | Location: Central Texas, U.S. | Registered: 20 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a great project and thanks for sharing. Having Aaron make a double is a long term goal for me, not in the cards right now.

Hope you'll share pictures along with way so we can live vicariously through your project!

Posts: 1064 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wildcatter:
Thank you Cal. I am collecting any and all information I can on the subject. Please PM me with details about the double 8s for sale.

My 8 is from Walter Locke, 1890 (about) and has a bore of .875” or a true 7-bore as the balls weigh 1000 grains each. Here are the loads I’ve shot with it:

Blue Dot smokeless:
80-90-100 grains with a round ball of 1000 grains
60-70-80 grains with a conical bullet of 1620 grains

FFg GOEX
10-12-14 drams with the ball
10-12 drams with the conical

FFFg GOEX
10-12 drams with the ball
10 drams with the conical

Email me at <pappas@mtaonline.net> and I will send pics of the 8s.

As to loading, I have tried many black and smokeless powders and what is above works the best for me.
Cal

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wildcatter
posted Hide Post
Here are a few pics of my 8-bore with which I’m starting. The rifle barrel set is being made with a shoe lump and rib extension for the dolls head mortise in the action. The action and small parts will be re-casehardened. The stock has some dings but the inletting is very good and the stock is very stable and strong.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/...KkW5CaX-fAoMpqz6azcg

https://www.amazon.com/photos/...HRVoayAPZiyjxXmPSicZ

https://www.amazon.com/photos/...b0e0LoDSFLTR8tRqxZIG

https://www.amazon.com/photos/...f5-F2NJpVm6ARuxYVAra

https://www.amazon.com/photos/...UIQPLSxaYlUn3exZDOFt

https://www.amazon.com/photos/...uhNhYPKRGnOWW3m18E-0

https://www.amazon.com/photos/...sj4ct7_CKsXqnV4zarMo

https://www.amazon.com/photos/...0_i6FJuwB_d6sLyprcjV

Here is a 30-06 chamber reamer next to the 8-bore Reamer

https://www.amazon.com/photos/...rNIxldBmyGsz6cgWDfE_

Here is the primary bullet design for which my rifle will be regulated. It drops at 1335 gr in a roughly 94-3-3 alloy.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/...Su96oXETnwRUdx7ChKTx

https://www.amazon.com/photos/...Mv6IjypZXevz3vRJE-WI

And a plinking bullet of 1050 grains.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/...uppuqYgYyYjhghlW6R0L

https://www.amazon.com/photos/...SOR07ibiHVi7gFf2fzJx

More to come.

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
I'm not seeing any pics. Just question marks in a small blue square.

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Me too. Tried a fix but it didn't work.

I can see each if I right click and then select "open image in a new tab"

DRSS

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?"

Posts: 810 | Location: MT | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wildcatter
posted Hide Post
Very strange. Amazon Photo hosting Isn’t working for some reason. I’ll try to fix it.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Please do try to fix the photo links. Can't wait to see them!

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16303 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sarg
posted Hide Post
Can't wait to see how you go on this project bud !

I did the same over 12yrs ago & your barrel maker made two for me back then but it stalled at the gunsmiths & nothing done 10yrs later !!!

I went with RB & 8Ga kiln gun cases, just roll crimp & go, plenty of power for all, bit less recoil & less recoil again with Blue Dot loads .

Well it would be if it were put together lol !

Posts: 459 | Location: New Zealand - Australia - South Africa | Registered: 14 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wildcatter
posted Hide Post
I tried very hard to get images embedded in the post but couldn’t make it work. The photos are now active links so feel free to check out my project.

Thanks,

RC

One of Us
Picture of Sarg
posted Hide Post
This is as far as mine got lol !

Posts: 459 | Location: New Zealand - Australia - South Africa | Registered: 14 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wildcatter
posted Hide Post
Sarg,

Nice set of parts! PM sent.

One of Us
Picture of AK_Stick
posted Hide Post
Looking good.

Eagerly watching this project as I've talked to Aaron a couple times about doing the exact same thing but since I picked up a complete 8 bore about the same time our barrels came off the line, my project has been significantly derailed.

I also like your "plinking bullet" I have the next one in line 85-1140 and have been very happy with resulting bullets it drops.

I've been happy with the brass I got from RCC (Roberson Custom Cardtridge) Jeff is a great guy to work with if you ever decide you want more brass.

Now that I've got my 8 bore shooting, I'll email you about pressure data on yours shortly.

Keep us informed please

Only Angels and Aviators have wings

Posts: 263 | Location: The frozen north, between deployments | Registered: 03 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AK_Stick:

Now that I've got my 8 bore shooting, I'll email you about pressure data on yours shortly.

You have your 8-bore shooting is a mild understatement. Your rifle is amazing and the accuracy outstanding! Should you refinish your 8 you will see your wood would be at home on the finest Holland Royal. At 17 pounds your rifle is built for heavy loads--loads that will give you a chiropractic adjustment with each shot. Now, get the rifle fitted to the nice case you have, ponder a possible refinish, find a heavy load should you take it for buffalo next year (100 grains of Blue Dot and the ball will be just right), and enjoy it for years. You made an excellent choice in your 8-bore. You were taught well in high school, no doubt!
Cal

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa