New
Find
Notify
Tools

Double Rifles in Movies
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My under-lever hammerless double .450BPE Alex Henry was 1888.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I recall correctly, Gregory Peck's stunt double actually shoots a charging rhino with a double rifle in "The Macomber Affair".

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Who did Gregory Peck play in the film, xausa? I've just had a look back at the short story and could only see that Macomber, like Hemingway, favored a .30 Springfield and that the PH, Wilson, used a .505 magazine rifle.

Posts: 4955 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
A couple of years ago I sold to a mate a .500 Holland Royal bpe, hammerless made in 1889. I don't know how early the hammerless rifles and shotguns came into being.
Cal

The first hammerless guns were made by a gunmaker named Needham. He took patent for his construction in 1862. Later in 1871 a gunmaker named Murcott came out with his patent. The major difference between these two systems was the casetype they were using. The modern case we use today was under Murcott patent.

Read on page 176 in 'The modern sportsman Gun and rifle' (1882) Vol 1 by JH Walsh.

Btw. My H&H Royal .500 express is also a hammerless patent ' safety hammerless'.

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Fellas:
Here is what I have so far.

Double Rifles in Movies

A Boy Ten Feet Tall with Edward G. Robinson
Appaloosa with Dalton ?, percussion double
Born Free, .470 double
Centennial, with ?
Charge of the Light Brigade with Erroll Flynn

Ghost and the Darkness with Val Kilmer, Paradox and Howdah
Harry Black and the Tiger with Stewart Granger, medium doubles
Hatari with John Wayne
In The Blood, Holland .450
Jurassic Park 2, the Lost World, .600 Searcy

King Solomon’s Mines with Stewart Granger, 8-bore
Last Safari with Stewart Granger, sidelock double
League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, 450 bpe
The Legend of Tarzan with Samuel Jackson
Legends of the Fall with Brad Pitt, 8-bore

The Macomber Affair with Gregory Peck
Mogambo with Gregory Peck
The Mummy with Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee
Naked Prey with Cornel Wilde
Out of Africa with Robert Redford, .375 or .465 holland and Holland

Red Dust with Clark Gable
Safari with Victor Mature
Shout at the Devil with Roger Moore
Sky Fall with Daniel Craig, .500 nitro Anderson Wheeler
Snows of Kilimanjaro with Gregory Peck

Streets of Laredo with James Garner, 8-bore carried by Charlie Martin Smith
Tarzan the Ape Man with Johnny Weissmuller, bore and bee doubles
Tarzan and His Mate with Johnny Weissmuller
Tarzan Escapes with Johnny Weissmuller
Tarzan Finds a Son with Johnny Weissmuller

Tarzan’s Secret Treasure with Johnny Weissmuller
Tarzan’s New York Adventure with Johnny Weissmuller
Tremors with Kevin Bacon, 8 or 4 bore German double (shotgun)
Tremors 2, .375 and .476 doubles
White Hunter Black Heart with Clint Eastwood, sidekick double

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don’t forget Termors 2: Bud brings a375 Holland and Holland double and 476 WR caliber double. It think he calls it a 480 in the movie.

Biebs has posted a 12 bore rifle that was made for Jurassic Park, but not featured.

This was fun.

Posts: 10832 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Added Tremors II
Thanks,
Cal

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Anderson Wheeler's site says that Samuel Jackson carried one of their 470s.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just watched the mummy for holloween with the kid and it’s a shotgun not a rifle but a double none the less. Mogambo was Clark gable like red dust.(remake). Good stuff makes me want the 570 BPE hammer gun I was fondling recectly

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2847 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
2010 version of The Wolfman....8 gauge double rifle. Plus some other cool old guns.

DRSS

Posts: 1151 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In Out of Africa I thought Redford's double had the Rigby dipped sidelocks...….that's why I didn't take it for a Holland.

In Hatari "Stan" the game ranger carried the double. I'll have to watch it again to see what it is.

Posts: 348 | Location: queensland, australia | Registered: 07 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by twobobbwana:
In Out of Africa I thought Redford's double had the Rigby dipped sidelocks...….that's why I didn't take it for a Holland.

In Hatari "Stan" the game ranger carried the double. I'll have to watch it again to see what it is.

I remember someone explained that the little “plate” under the muzzles was a pretty “H&H” feature. Can’t remember who said it. I believe he had one that resembled it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BaxterB:
quote:
Originally posted by twobobbwana:

I remember someone explained that the little “plate” under the muzzles was a pretty “H&H” feature. Can’t remember who said it. I believe he had one that resembled it.

You can clearly see the Holland and Holland “rib” running horizontally under the muzzles in various shots.

Posts: 10832 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Redford rifle is a H&H owned now by a US collector

For some reason in the “Lion” scene it appears a tab or a peep sight on the breech end of the barrels. No idea what it is.

DRSS

Posts: 1905 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gents,

I am now better informed.

Any chance of getting some more info on the Redford double ???

Who provided it? How it got to the collector ?? Who has it???

Posts: 348 | Location: queensland, australia | Registered: 07 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rockdoc:
Redford rifle is a H&H owned now by a US collector

For some reason in the “Lion” scene it appears a tab or a peep sight on the breech end of the barrels. No idea what it is.

I’ve tried pausing the movie there but I can’t tell what it is either.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used to have a photo of the “Redford” rifle. Double 500/465 Royal. Sold to a Pennsylvania collector IIRC. Was auctioned a few years ago in the USA.

You can check online movie database. Will check my computer to see if I have a photo.

Clint Eastwood carried a brand new H&H in White Hunter Black Heart. Emulating the real H&H carried by the John Huston whilst making the movie The African Queen.

DRSS

Posts: 1905 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Boy oh boy.Back in the day. "Well,we're filming a movie in Africa,good chance to get in some free hunting while we're there."

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just found an interesting movie on “epix” channel on sling tv. “Beyond Bengal” circa 1934. Documentary/drama silent movie about expedition the Malaysia peninsula. They say how their intent was to only photograph animals but they ended up shooting every living thing they came across “ in self defense”. Lots of cheesy scenes especially fake crocs but lots of double action but i kept looking for a front sight never saw one so that were possibly passing off shotguns as rifles. Lots of dead tigers, elephants, leopards and crocs and some other I interesting creatures. Gotta love the non politically correct old days. Made me think my double was 12 years old at this time and in the vicinity perhaps?

White Mountains Arizona

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Current crop of metrosexual actors not applicable
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
Boy oh boy.Back in the day. "Well,we're filming a movie in Africa,good chance to get in some free hunting while we're there."

White Mountains Arizona

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Watched Hatari again the other day...…...purely for research/education of course...……"Stan" is carrying a boxlock double 450 (??) 470 (??) by th e holes in the end of it.

Does anyone know who "Stan" was ??? Stan Lawrence ???

One of Us
Picture of Reverend Recoil
posted Hide Post
A Boy Ten Feet Tall

https://tse2.mm.bing.net/th?id...U8vT5VrQHaEK&pid=Api

DR #2276, P-100 2021

posted Hide Post
Interesting post I have owned a fully rifled 8 bore Tolley marked M.G.M. used in some old Tarzan movies and supposedly by Stewart Granger nice rifle its steel barrels Jones underlever hammer I have not completed working up full loads yet

Posts: 12 | Location: midwest | Registered: 10 June 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
That's interesting. Most double rifles in movies have had reasonably small bores. I think this may have two aspects: they are lighter and the blast should be less formidable; and less-knowledgeable viewers might actually realise it's a rifle. An 8-bore with its low, BP sights would be mistaken for a shotgun by many moviegoers.

Posts: 4955 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The double rifle used in The Ghost and the Darkness was a German built double of about 360 caliber, if I remember correctly. The rifle was offered at auction in England some years after the movie was made and was sold with a broken butt stock, broken when thrown in the movie.
Westley Richards bid for me on this double but someone out bid my high offer.

Posts: 34 | Location: Hunt, Texas & Pagosa Springs Co. | Registered: 26 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shikarafar1:
The double rifle used in The Ghost and the Darkness was a German built double of about 360 caliber, if I remember correctly.

I agree!
I watched it again Saturday night and there is one scene where there is a good closeup of the right side.
It is a German made rifle retailed by Manton with the Urn engraved on the lock which is typical of these German Mantons.

Posts: 3239 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
The film Alaska, Charton Heston plays a bad guy poaching with a fine Holland and Holland double.

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

One of Us
Picture of Ready Aim Shoot
posted Hide Post
I like it better admiring them in hunt videos-especially in experienced hands.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:
League of Extordinary Gentlemen 450BPE Back Action Sidelock?

"Matilda" sold for $1,062!!!!! 10 years ago
https://www.julienslive.com/m/.../catalog/8/lot/2083/

I would have likely lost a bet saying it was a 450/400 - which i would argue over 450, due to ranging.

while not a rifle, madmax's shotgun!

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38462 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:

"Matilda" sold for $1,062!!!!! 10 years ago

We discussed that rifle quite a bit either here or over on N.E.

The auction gun is not even close to the rifle in the movie.
The Matilda gun had a freakishly long forend and the auction rifle doesn't even have a front sling swivel.

Posts: 3239 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Watched an old movie on TV today "NAVADA SMITH" with Steve McQueen. He had what appeared to be an outside hammer over/under double rifle or drilling----couldn't see to well !

Hip

Posts: 1823 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
In the old B+W "Smows Of Kilimangero" w/ Gregory Peck portraying Hemingway, firing over + over + over w/a dbl. on a charging buff. No close-ups on the rifle, however.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
Several years ago while I was Champlin Firearms in Enid, OKL. I got to hold the double rifle that Robert Redford carried in the movie "Out of Africa".

When you review the lion scene, there is some black sight or something right at the breech, not sure what it is? Did you notice it?

Love to get to Champlins one day.

DRSS

One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
Many Holland Royals were fitted with a little flip up peep in the rib.
Think they were called the “India” sight or something similar.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you!

DRSS