New
Find
Notify
Tools

Left handed double
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hey all, I am just starting to look for a double but I am left handed. Does anyone have any suggestions on where I should look?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Verney Carron, Heym and any of the British makers will build you a left handed one. You can also check Gunsinternational.com and Champlin arms for used ones.

DRSS

Posts: 1149 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am a left handed shot and use double guns - mostly shotguns. If you can a double rifle that is straight stocked you will probably shoot pretty well with it. Top lever - I am so used to pushing it across with my left thumb, that a true left hand opening shotgun or rifle would just seem odd. I have only ever seen one left hand shotgun - a Boss sidelock.

Most doubles will shoot front trigger for right barrel and rear the left. Arguably for a lefty the right barrel recoils back and up and left barrel will kick out to the side, so recovery and getting back on target will be quicker. Shooting a double regulated for a right hander from the left shoulder may or may not affect regulation. But then a rifle regulated for a short stocky person will shoot differently to tall gangly person.

Double triggers may or may not be angled for a right handed shot. Some are somewhat twisted for the right hand - you may have a slightly sharper edge on the left side. Twisting, reprofiling a trigger blade is not beyond whit of a half competent gunsmith. Some say that shooting a right handed gun where right trigger is on front and left is trigger is at the back could result in a doubling where you accidentally hit the back trigger during recoil. If you look at most double triggers they are angled to be one behind the other. I suppose if needs be they could be swapped or new triggers made.

Stock dimensions - most of us lefties are pretty used to straight stocks, and most doubles do have pretty straight tangs. Most stocks can be bent across to be cast on - but very much depends on age and grain structure. Cheek piece will be on the wrong side. You can ignore it, or have it removed. Many really good double rifles were built without a cheek piece.

So I would be looking for a good rifle with decent barrels with a tight action. And make that it shoots well. If the stock is totally unsuitable in shape it can either be modified by use of grafting on bits of wood and reprofiling. Indeed many doubles have had such treatment over the years. Some done really well, others look like botox on a pretty girl. Worst case is a new stock. Don’t go for pretty wood. Go for straight grain and strong. Personally I would go fir a strong stock and lengthen/shorten and raise comb as needs be.

Sights - all doubles should shoot well with iron sights. Scopes and red dots though are what most use. Let somebody else spend the coin on adding good mounts and making sure it still regulates.

The British and moderm doubles built along British lines should handle well. Some of the German ones, whilst feats of engineering have the handling of a railway sleeper.

Posts: 979 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cme:
Hey all, I am just starting to look for a double but I am left handed. Does anyone have any suggestions on where I should look?

I've got a LH .470 K-gun I've been thinking about selling.

PM me if you'd like more info

I also have a straight stocked Charles Osborne 450-400-3-1/4. I'm not planning on selling it but to HEYM SR20's point, its straight stocked and its fine.

It's a low recoiling rifle so it is pleasant from either side.

My .500NE is also LH. I've had RH shooters shoot it and its very unpleasant from the right side. It's kinda light for caliber and isn't a whole lot of fun to shoot from the left either.

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3350 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Heym SR20 pretty much has all of the bases covered when it comes to a lefty shooting a Double made for a right handed shooter...
** If you have been shooting right handed break open shotguns the Top Lever all swings to the right having to learn getting use to a true left handed Top Lever is not what you want on a "DG" rifle...
** I had my triggers bent facing forward so they could easily be used by a right handed shooter ... Shoot front trigger first never had a problem doubling ..
** Had the cast in the stock changed to my needs..
** there was not a cheek piece on my stock

Posts: 1609 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Selling both of my lefty’s.
Heym 450/400
Searcy 450 NE
Both would pass for new.
I am 5’ 10” and length of pulls and stock design were built for me.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6597 | Location: Cumberland Plateau, Tennessee | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Look on Butch Searcy website, CME, and you'll find my .375 H&H flanged magnum. I'll send you a private message shortly.

Regards, Tim

Posts: 1318 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the feedback guys, I definitely appreciate it.

One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Ahrenberg:
quote:

I also have a straight stocked Charles Osborne 450-400-3-1/4. I'm not planning on selling it but to HEYM SR20's point, its straight stocked and its fine.

My .500NE is also LH. I've had RH shooters shoot it and its very unpleasant from the right side. It's kinda light for caliber and isn't a whole lot of fun to shoot from the left either.

I remember your love of the K-Gun.

I would not sell my left hand 470 Krieghoff, but I do have a straight stocked 450-400 3 1/4 Boswell I would let go for a good price.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeBurke:
quote:
quote:

I would not sell my left hand 470 Krieghoff, but I do have a straight stocked 450-400 3 1/4 Boswell I would let go for a good price.

Mike -

I opened my safe the other day and saw so much stuff I just don't think I'll ever use. I'm selling my K-Gun, my Charles Osborne 450-400 3-1/4, a .50 BMG and some handguns as well. 5-6 bolt guns, a Ruger #1 etc.

I'll never sell my Armeria de Madrid (LARM) .500NE, back action sidelock DR. It's a bespoke rifle and I'm very fond of it.

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3350 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Mike -

I opened my safe the other day and saw so much stuff I just don't think I'll ever use. I'm selling my K-Gun, my Charles Osborne 450-400 3-1/4, a .50 BMG and some handguns as well. 5-6 bolt guns, a Ruger #1 etc.

I'll never sell my Armeria de Madrid (LARM) .500NE, back action sidelock DR. It's a bespoke rifle and I'm very fond of it.

Text me pics and stock measurements on your Osborne when you have a chance.

Thanks,

Mac

Posts: 1721 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Prices seem to be climbing on "basic" model doubles. Searcy now wants $15,500 for the PH model.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6597 | Location: Cumberland Plateau, Tennessee | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana1
posted Hide Post
Left handed actions double rifles are hard to sell. Ask me how I know.. you really are limiting the customers.

Posts: 795 | Location: Vero Beach, Florida | Registered: 03 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by McKay:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Mike -

Text me pics and stock measurements on your Osborne when you have a chance.

Thanks,

I'll get it done tonight.

Formerly "Nganga"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What caliber? SXS or O/U? Your budget?

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
Life NRA
Life SCI
Life DSC

Posts: 1327 | Location: PA | Registered: 06 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Its basically a matter of cast off, so go with a straight stock, then if you ever need to sell it you won't be penalized for being left handed, hard to sell leftys..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41782 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote