Find
Notify
Tools

11.2x51r ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted
Does anyone have knowledge of this cartridge? There is one on GB that’s seems to be a decent deal, but I don’t load.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/895434899

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
Hello DCS Member,

You will have to "load" for this cartridge. Loading for this cartridge shouldn't be a problem. There are similar 11mm cartridges that could easily be modified. (I load for 11.15x60R) The 11.15x51R is however a lead bullet, black-powder "low energy" schuetzen cartridge. (target cartridge - 325g lead bullet to about 1200 fps) Its only good for target shooting and perhaps up to small deer size game.

https://www.handloadermagazine.com/11-15x51r-kurz

But more of an issue - I've seen many items from this seller over the years - mostly all were over-priced. Also, this seller is notorious for over describing with no follow-up if there is a problem. (he ignores emails if people complain) .. You need to look at all the feedback over the last couple of years to see all the negatives. (you can set feedback at the bottom of the page to see 100 at a time) There are 33 pages of feedback. There are a lot of negatives in past years. In those, never did he attempt to resolve a problem. In most cases he didn't respond to the seller.

This double has been relisted many, many times having started at $5200 or more. I've been watching it. In my opinion, based on similar rifles that I've purchased in the past, and especially because you will have to hand-load ammo, this rifle should be in the $2500 - $3500 range. At that price I might have taken a gamble myself - but not at its current listed price, and especially with the "no return" option. You have to take into account the cost of having it re-regulated if something is wrong, or if you have it re-chambered to a more available cartridge. Just my 2-cents worth.

Good luck

" .... you never pay too much for something, you only buy it too early .... "

How to Hunt Wisconsin Whitetail Deer with a Cannon

How to Hunt Feral Cats with a Mortar

Posts: 2114 | Location: Whitetail Country - Wisconsin | Registered: 28 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
That’s good to know. I wasn’t really in the market for this one, especially given a round I didn’t even know existed.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Buckstix,
My compliments to you for helping another gun fancier when you have already written off the rifle.

I agree with you on the sellers write up on the piece: much ado about very little.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote