THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Double rifle on "I love Lucy"
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Double rifle on "I love Lucy"
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted
I was flipping around on TV and stopped on an episode of I love Lucy. It was one of the later ones when Lucy and Ricky were in Hollywood. Ricky was working some kind of a deal with Richard Widmark at his home and Lucy was not invited, but managed to sneak in anyway, hiding under a Grizzly rug in Widmarks trophy room. At one point Widmark asks Ricky if he would like to see his Elephant rifle. At first I thought it was a double shotgun, but then saw that it had express sights on it. To me, it looked like a 10 bore Paradox with 30" barrels, but it never showed the gun close up or for long. Did anyone else see it and have any ideas?
I realize that it was probably all a set, but wonder if Widmark was an African Hunter as it was very popular amongst the manly male stars in Hollywood in the fifties and sixties. Anyone have any thoughts?

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2247 | Location: Houston, TX. | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
I will do an inernet search and try to find the title.
I have a list of Africa movies and those with double rifle in them. Thanks for this.
In the 1940-50-60s Hollywood men often went on safari almost as a manly right of passage. Bing Crosby, John Wayne, Kirk Douglas to name three. Although Kirk later stated he regretted it greatly.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I don't believe that Richard Widmark was an African hunter, as according to internet information on him he was anti-gun and participated in several gun control initiatives later in life. He stated that he was an ardent gun control supporter, and had made a "half assed career" out of gun violence. Aside from that, funny how these things pop up. My grandkids were watching some "Flubber" movie the other night that starred the late Robin Williams. There was a scene where they were in some opulent castle like home that had, among others, a Cape Buffalo mount and a waterbuck mount that Williams referred to as a deer. Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
I went online and did some research. The episode was from 1955 and was called "The Tour". Widmark was known in his later years for his anti-gun/violence stance, typical Hollywood hypocrite as even he admitted that violence was rampant in his movies.
William Holden is one of my favorite actors and he was a big time African hunter, but as he got older, he was led by his wee-wee with Audrey Hepburn and turned his Safari Club Lodge in Kenya into a wildlife conservation organization, kind of ironic considering the amount of poaching that takes place in Kenya now.

N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
I seem to remember seeing the Lucy episode about 1963 but as usual I think they called it an elephant 'gun'.

We must not be too surprised to hear of thespians playing people far removed from their real characters. That is part of the attraction to acting, it allows people to forget who they really are for a while.

Posts: 4916 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
I have a list of Africa movies and those with double rifle in them. Thanks for this.
In the 1940-50-60s Hollywood men often went on safari almost as a manly right of passage. Bing Crosby, John Wayne, Kirk Douglas to name three. Although Kirk later stated he regretted it greatly.
Cal

One of my earliest "African" memories is of Bing Crosby and Phil Harris shooting sand grouse on the American Sportsman show. Very funny episode.

USMC Retired
DSC Life Member
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 730 | Location: Maryland Eastern Shore | Registered: 27 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
"The Tour"

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7574 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drongo:
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
Cal

One of my earliest "African" memories is of Bing Crosby and Phil Harris shooting sand grouse on the American Sportsman show. Very funny episode.

He was probably with Terry Mathews or Tony Seth Smith. Bing hunted and safarid with both of them many times.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Story I heard ,was Kirk Douglas ''Regretted '' not getting into hunting earlier in his life ,I did have a photo saved of him, getting off a plane with a big smile on his face with his rifle in a leather case .
Whether he ''regretted '' it later, to please the Bambi-ites .
Off topic, but there was a Jerry Lewis Movie where he finds himself in a Gun shop and the woman from the Bank in The Beverley Hillbillies,[cant think of her name] comes in dressed up like she going hunting and inspects the double rifles.

One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
"Miss Jane Hathaway" played by the late Nancy Kulp.

N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.