Find
Notify
Tools

Kynoch 375F velocity ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted
Has anyone checked the velocity of Kynoch's modern 375F load?
Thanks in advance

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Are you suggesting that the velocities published by the manufacturers are sometimes not spot on?

sofa

Mike

Posts: 21193 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ozhunter:
Has anyone checked the velocity of Kynoch's modern 375F load?
Thanks in advance

OZ I haven't checked the velocity in Kynoch 375 ammo, but I can assure you it will likely be less than advertised! The reason most ammo makers use 30 inch test barrels at the factory. There aren't many double rifles with more than 26 inch barrels, and most today will have about 24 inch barrels.

........................................................................ coffee

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
OZ I haven't checked the velocity in Kynoch 375 ammo, but I can assure you it will likely be less than advertised! The reason most ammo makers use 30 inch test barrels at the factory. There aren't many double rifles with more than 26 inch barrels, and most today will have about 24 inch barrels.

Mac...you are jumping your conclusions here...even if what you say is generally true.. Smiler

I have not tested their .375 Flanged ammo, but I have tested Kynochs .475 3 1/4 ammo in my double rifle (23" barrels) and it produces 2158 fps average velocity...that is a rather hot ammo in my book but luckily it regulates well at 40 yards in my rifle..

I have also seen some talk that indicate that at least some of their ammo lots have been so hot that the English firm decline to use it..

Posts: 3965 | Location: Vell, I yust dont know.. | Registered: 27 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have also not pursued their 500/450 3 1/4" Magnum ammunition as it reports to be about 2150fps. I would hazard a guess that most H&H 500/450 3 1/4" rifles were loaded with the tropical load, regulating a little over 2000fps.

DRSS

Posts: 1904 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote