THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    I need a rec. for a long eye-relief scope
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I need a rec. for a long eye-relief scope
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Today I shot my VERY lightweight double in 9.3X74R, mounted with an older Redfield widefield 2.75X in EAW mounts, and got a bloody bridge of my nose from getting smacked with the scope eyepiece bell. The rifle is a gas to shoot open-sighted....but I guess I feel an obligation to use a scope, compounded by my failing, aged vision. So, I gotta either NOT use a scope, or find one with a longer focal distance that I can mount farther forward. Any advice would be appreciated.
Alex

Posts: 2097 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A similar thread on the Big Bores a few months back with the same problem.

I and other recommended a Leupy ?

I have one on my SxS 9.3.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Leupold

Posts: 1330 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
GREAT!!......now is there/are there specific models (low mag) with the longer eye relief.....?? I know Leupold makes many models.

Posts: 2097 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have a look on the Leupy web site.

Leupy 2.5
Leuoy 1.5 - 5

And others which I am sure someone else will know of.

Have a look through the big bore threads as the same issues with scopes apply to DR's as to Big Bores. Some other interesting brands came up in the Big Bore thread that have as much eye relief as the Leupy's so hopefully someone will post the names up.

The problem is, Leupy is the Standard by which all others are judged IMHO.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Leupold. There are no others to my knowledge.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19304 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been putting the new Leupold Ultralight 3x9x33 on my DR's and have mounted a couple for customers. I just put one on my Merkel 160 8x75R. The eye relief is good enough for up to .375 with 3-4" based upon your setting. Really clear and has Leupold's new coating (forget what it's called) that helps in low light conditions. And it weighs only 8.8 oz. Woth taking a look at. I also like the Trijicon 1.25x4x28 with the post/amber triangle. However, I feel this scope is really designed for close range shooting and I prefer more versatility. Hope this helps. Mike

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might look into getting one of the very small red dots put on. They are not very obtrusive and very very light.

If you own a gun and you are not a member of the NRA and other pro 2nd amendment organizations then YOU are part of the problem.

Posts: 1226 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 12 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by els:
You might look into getting one of the very small red dots put on. They are not very obtrusive and very very light.

Swarovski Z6 1.5-6 EE(extended eye relief). Great scope and lots of room to roam so to speak. Not being a butt, but with a 9.3 perhaps you're holding the gun too loose? Not a lot of recoil in the scheme of things to be scoping you........standing. Prone.....ok. Again not trying to stir the pot.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
nikon african 30 mm g4 retical works real well on my 470

JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Was it Mac or Rusty that got a mount made to put a Red Dot on their DR?

Rich
DRSS
the Chapuis 9,3x74R in the picture has a 2-7x-33mm Leupold on it. Worked Plains Game hunting this April in RSA just fine.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Rusty!

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
2x Leupy EER as below or the 4x EER could be worth looking at.

Posts: 3847 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brett Adam Barringer:
Swarovski Z6 1.5-6 EE(extended eye relief). Great scope and lots of room Brett

+1

They only come in 30mm so you'd have to get 30mm rings but there is not a better scope for eye relief unless you go with a fixed scout scope. On the 9.3 the Z6 Swarovski would IMO overpower (size plus weight) the rifle and the 1.5x5 Leupold is IMO the best scope for the task.

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
here is Leupold specs http://www.bearbasin.com/leupold-vx3-scopes.htm

Also keep cheek tight on rifle.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Haunt the aisles of a few gun shows until you find a used Leupold Vari-X III (not the newer VX-III), 1.5x-5x, matte finish, with the heavy duplex reticle. I own five of them, mounted on various double rifles and I love them. At 1.5x you can shoot the rifle with both eyes open as if it were a shotgun, and you have a good solid 4 inches of eye relief!

Posts: 386 | Location: Oshawa, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 01 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Trigicon 1.25 x 4, get the post for the double, you will not regret it!

Posts: 1067 | Location: oregon | Registered: 20 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1 on the Trigicon 1.25 --4 with color post of your choice, red, amber or green. One
inch tube makes it the lightest -- longest eye
relief scope in this class of Big Game scopes.
My wife has one on her 450/400 3in and it is great. No eye cuts.
Lupy is good too but you need to go with illuminated reticle for early am or pm situations. More expensive though than Trigicon which is around $690 at Midway USA I found a "never mounted" used one for $475 in box with papers. Optical quality is excellent.
Tritium post has a life of about 15 years which is a drawback, but I'll live with that as opposed to having to worry about batters.

Good luck and good shooting whatever you choose.

Tetonks
DRSS

Posts: 295 | Location: Willow City, Texas & Polebridge, Montana | Registered: 12 June 2009Reply With Quote
Picture of Tumbleweed Tony
posted Hide Post
+1 more for the Trijicon 1.25-4X. Their 1-4X 30mm is nice, but it is heavier and the eye relief stinks! Too bad.

I am a die hard Leupold guy and own a whole bunch. I have always felt that the 1.5-5X Vari-X III's are the best scope on the planet for the money. I have one on my .375 bolt and various close range deer rifles; and they are great. They also have a relatively new illuminated reticle 30mm 1.5-5x VX-3 that I thought would be my first choice for my DR, but the Trijicon won me over and I just mounted one on my DR yesterday.

The Trijicon has a much longer, and less critical, eye relief. With the Leupold, holding your eye too close or too far from the scope causes the field of view to go dark. With the Trijicon, I can hold my eye next to the scope (althought I don't know why anyone would want to) and hold it at almost arms lenght and the reticle can still me seen. Although the sides of the view go progressively dark, the reticle is still clear. Also, my old eyes have a little trouble using the Leupold with both eye open; the Trijicon is much easier.

I hope that I am around long enought for the 15-year post glow life to be a problem. Trigiccon told me that at the present time, they will redo the reticle for $120.

Not necessarily for a DR, but I feel that the light weight fixed 2.5x Leupold is grossly overlooked.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the low power leupold and the low power Trij. Have more than one of each and they are hard to beat.

That said, if you see an old original Weaver V4.5, grab it. They have absolutely the most eye relief (and also the least critical, which is just as important)of any scope I have ever looked through.

Also, try them out. Spec sheets mean nothing. I remember when Pentax got in the scope business. They were great lens makers, and the specs were amazing. However, the view through the lens had no relation to the specs. Looking is everything with scopes.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Lexington, Kentucky, USA | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 500N:
Have a look on the Leupy web site.

Leupy 2.5
Leuoy 1.5 - 5

For the money, these two options will be almost impossible to beat. Add in Leupold's great customer service if something goes wrong, and there are NO better options.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
When one gets hit with a scope, it is often due to the scope being mounted too high... Causing a weak cheek weld. The gun recoils and the head stays put.
ND Wink

Stephen Grant 500BPE
Joseph Harkom 450BPE

Posts: 625 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 21 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Get a set of glasses and continue to shoot your double with irons...Only gay men, liberals and child molesters shoot doubles with a scope! Smiler Smiler

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41814 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote