THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    What is a deal breaker for you on doubles?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is a deal breaker for you on doubles?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted
Colin wrote in another thread that non rebounding hammers were a deal breaker for him. I feel the same way. I have sold all of my non rebounding hammer double guns and rifles except my Roddda 4-bore double rifle and my grandfather's 12-bore Scott shotgun.

Another deal breaker for me is the horrid sliding wedge for end fastener. Hate 'em with a passion. Anson button, lever, or the Deeley latch are fine but the wedge I hate.

What say you fellas? What is a deal breaker for you in the world of doubles?

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cal, for me its Damascus barrels. I know many feel they're at least as strong as fluid steel. I just cant trust hammering pieces of metal around a mandrel as consistent and strong as extruded steel.

Posts: 20076 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
All nonsense; train as you fight; learn how to manage your equipment and use it.
These features are simply variations on traditional designs. Not flaws.
Train. As I say, Americans are spoiled; some people would kill to own and shoot a DR with non rebounding hammers, etc. They aren't broken.
Damascus barrels? I had an Alex Henry 450 once; shot fine. But I can see not trusting them, although they are not thin shotgun barrels.

Posts: 17046 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
How about $$$$$$ ?

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2293 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
I screwed up the next message process.

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Interesting. I use twist or Damascus barrels almost daily. As to $$$$$$. An interesting study would be to see what a Holland Royal cost in 1910, allow for inflation, and see what it should cost today.

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
All nonsense; train as you fight; learn how to manage your equipment and use it.
These features are simply variations on traditional designs. Not flaws.
Train. As I say, Americans are spoiled; some people would kill to own and shoot a DR with non rebounding hammers, etc. They aren't broken.
Damascus barrels? I had an Alex Henry 450 once; shot fine. But I can see not trusting them, although they are not thin shotgun barrels.

I am with you on this one,whichever gun you have? get good with it,although I have several DR'S,I have no hammer guns,except single shots,Sharps etc,I would not mind a hammer in 500 BPE though Wink,a deal breaker for me is simply the price!

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Poor condition for the price, otherwise, if I like it I can adapt. I love muzzleloaders so wedge fore ends, non-rebounding locks, straight stocks with iron grips all suite me just fine. I like my top lever hammerless rifle as much as my non-rebounding Jones under-lever.

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bpesteve
posted Hide Post
For me it's barrels that don't 'ring', squeezed lumps, rusted chambers/bores, and screws that show obvious major 'buggering' indicating unknown perils inside the action. If given a chance to shoot one first, bad vertical regulation is definitely a deal breaker.

Posts: 964 | Location: paradise with an ocean view | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Started off talking about design parameters, now it is on condition.
Two different things.
My only deal breaker is that they not be broken in half right in front of the chambers, for example. And I would even still buy it, at the right price. Maybe pitted so badly that you can see light through the bores.
No, I can reline those....
Hand forged frame from Peshawar? Sure.
I have low, or no, standards.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have few design parameters that would be reason to exclude a nice double except some of the odd transitory efforts. Jones under lever or top lever, rebounding or not, hammers or hammerless. I could not care less.

Ok, no Greener side safety or single triggers on a dangerous game gun. That is about all I can come up with.

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jungleboy
posted Hide Post
Not sure if its a deal breaker, but I'm not too fond of beavertail forends.

I really enjoy the feel of splinter type forends in both my double rifles &

my shotguns. My good buddy shoots a Mod 21 Winchester shotgun & to

me it feels like a piece of 2x4 lumber in my hands, but he loves it?

Posts: 518 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yeah, single triggers is it. I would not take a single trigger double rifle for free.
Perfectly safe though; pretty sure no one is going to make the offer anyway.

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Single trigger and beaver tail fore-end.

I say that but I've owned a couple of beaver tailed doubles. I used to dilute good whisky with Coca-Cola also before I became more refined in my tastes!

Whistling

One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 20076 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
Todd's dream double!

asus laptop number keys not working

The Janet Reno of doubles.

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Or RuPaul? :-)

one of us
Picture of Wildcatter
posted Hide Post
A dealbreaker for me is a double under caliber 400. In my opinion, bolt actions and single shots work better for lighter cartridges intended for lighter game animals at longer distances. Given that I feel doubles are for dangerous game, I will agree that non-rebounding hammers would likely also be deal breaker on any double I would own.

RC

Shoot the largest caliber you can shoot well, and practice, practice, practice.

Posts: 788 | Location: Central Texas, U.S. | Registered: 20 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wildcatter, I agree...doubles are used in big calibers for large game. In any other instance, a scoped bolt rifle makes much more sense.

one of us
Picture of Wildcatter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
quote:
Todd's dream double!

The Janet Reno of doubles.

rotflmo

Shoot the largest caliber you can shoot well, and practice, practice, practice.

Posts: 788 | Location: Central Texas, U.S. | Registered: 20 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Poor Janet Reno! I liked her.

Anyway, I have a hard time not liking guns in any config. If I had a deal breaker, it'd likely be aesthetic vs functional. Maybe high-relief stock carving might make me avoid buying one, even at the right price. I might also have a hard time with a single trigger. I thought fiber optic sights or red dots might keep me from buying one, but I'm finding I like them. I guess never say never.

And I like the lighter calibers, even though a bolt gun is definitely better suited for hunting non-dangerous game. The doubles are just so cool.

Posts: 1720 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
As-is- no-returns.. or a seller that never fired the gun.

Posts: 6361 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now I own and shoot an Alex Henry PBE in .500-400 Damascus with super solid barrels, Jones underlever, and non-rebounding hammers. And it shoots. To each their own.

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Todd's dream double!

barf

Janet Reno:

barf barf

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
There is one caliber under 400 that belongs in a DR; the 9.3x74. Very useful for creatures smaller than a buffalo.
As for the any sayers on non rebounding hammers, I really don't get what is wrong with them. I trained and learned how to take the .2 milliseconds to bring them off the firing pins.
Dr Stewart (as indicated above) has mastered his AH 500-450 and I have seen him use it; no issues noted.
You Americans are spoiled and want everything done for you. I recommend staying at home and watching TV. Don't touch any mechanical devices more complicated than a spoon.
Jamet Reno; dead for 5 years now; I'm sure she looks better, half rotten.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Non rebounding hammers
Toplever with hammers
Greener ext.
Beaver forends
English dr in german calibers
Sleeved barrels
Relined barrrels
Restocked guns that doesn’t duplicate original lines.

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
I like any double rifle ever made in some chambering, for jack rabbit, to elephant, I'm even thinking of making a double rifle for my great grand son chambered for .22 long rifle, with 16 inch barrels and a stock to fit a five year old!
Would I take on an elephant with a 9.3x74 mm? Absolutely not, but I have have a Merkel so chambered and I simply love shooting it on any of the planes game in Africa, but I prefer a 470H/H for cape buff or large bear in Alaska.
I use my Merkel 9'3X74 and a 8.3X74/16 ga shot barreled combination for all American game including black bear.
''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''I think double rifles and combination guns are my favorite gun to hunt with or simply punch targets at the range. ................. oldMacD37

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1 on those damnable beaver tails.

DRSS

Posts: 1148 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds more like the collectors parade to me..For a hunting rifle thats accurate and strong, I prefer a Searcy hands down and I'll cut down and rechecker the stock to match the English gun..I hunted mostly with my A&N 450-400s and Sweet Thang, my most accurate old English Jeffery in 450-400..Nobody ever owned a double as accurate as my Searcy 470, the one Butch won the Nationals with, it shot under an inch, I sold it back to Butch as he wanted it real bad, sent me a 450-400 that shot an inch and a half...about the size of a buffalos eye, thats close enough for "guvment" work and any rifle, especially a double.

I hope I never have to deal with deal breakers, I like them all..feel/pointability, condition, accuracy and price for sure.

I can deal with the rest if its in working order, even hammers..To each his own..

BUT this thread changed all that, beaver tail forends say drag out the cabinet rasp and checkering tool, and single trigger leave me cold, but thats not deal breakers is just a walk on by...

A double originally was two rifles in one stock, if one fails the other is supposed to continue to work thus two triggers, two barrels and on and on..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Single triggers - I much prefer double triggers on side by sides and over and unders.

And a gun that doesn’t fit me in any shape or form. And I shoot left handed so it rather precludes many many guns.

And finally price. I have a couple of guns which were pretty much heading gor the great melting pot, but they cost me minimal pennies. A bit of TLC and cleaning off the grime revealed a well used but salvageable gem. A rejointing - £250 - and my W J Jeffery 410 is probably my favourite gun to shoot. So what if the hand is cracked and been repaired, there are some dings on the stock and barrels somewhat pitted - it shoots bloody well, has a long stock and weighs 4 1/2lbs. Its the gun I carry when working the dogs and use it to take any birds that break back. Many a phaesant would wish that I had never saved it from destruction, but the cant because they have become a phaesant curry.

Posts: 979 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
All of the above.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13329 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
I would love a .30-30/.303 double, but that would be after something larger than my 9,3x74r.

MacD, I’m sure you meant to type 16” barrels… Wink

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3428 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DCS Member:
I would love a .30-30/.303 double, but that would be after something larger than my 9,3x74r.

MacD, I’m sure you meant to type 16” barrels… Wink

You are correct! I changed it in my post!
.............. old MacD37

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For what its worth in my 40 plus years of booking hunts the majoriy of doubles I saw going to buffalo camps was the 9.3x74 and don't recall a single complaint...They worked, and they were less expensive.

I would not hesitate to hunt buffalo with them or elephant for that matter with solids of course..Same for the 9.3x62 and have used that one, or the 375 Flanged, they have all performed well...Ive also seen and know of a number of ladies and younger hunters that have had success with the 30-06 and 220 gr. solids on some of those hunts.

Again its where you stick a properly constructed bullet that counts.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Deal breaker on doubles??? My wife.

Posts: 370 | Location: USA | Registered: 26 March 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
New case colors do it for me, and yeah, single trigger and restocked as well.

Picture of Woodcarver
posted Hide Post
Price. Working on correcting that as a deal breaker.
Single triggers on DG rifles. That wouldn't bother me on a small bore.
Haven't used one with non-rebounding hammers, so I don't know if that bothers me.
A stock that doesn't fit can be replaced or fixed. Issues with the action would probably cause me to walk away.

Woodcarver
NRA Benefactor Life
RMEF Life
NAHC Life
DU Life
DRSS

Posts: 11 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 27 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
Not sure why folks don't like Beavertail forends.

I have three DR's; a .470 K gun (Which I may sell), a Charles Osborne 450-.400 3-1/4 (1892 vintage) and a Armeria de Madrid, back action sidelock in .500NE I had them make for me. I ordered it with Beavertail forend specifically. I did so to give me the ability to wrap my hands around the barrels and forend without closing up the sight picture.

Growing up, my dad had a bunch of SxS shotguns, most of them are Beavertail . Perhaps that's why I am fond of them?

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3342 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Light weight is what I dislike. A double needs to have adequate weight to help tame the recoil. I had a SIACE in .45-70. Light weight and a real kicker. My 10.5 lb 450-400 is more pleasant to shoot.

One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dougfinn:
Light weight is what I dislike. A double needs to have adequate weight to help tame the recoil. I had a SIACE in .45-70. Light weight and a real kicker. My 10.5 lb 450-400 is more pleasant to shoot.

I agree completely with this. The rifle in the above pictures is 10# and smacks you pretty good. 10-12 shots is about all I want.

I also have a Charles Osborne 450-.400 3-1/4. It als about 10# and is an absolute joy to shoot.

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3342 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote