Find
Notify
Tools

Hollis Double Rifles
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted
Thanks to R. Keiler of our Forum, for his two part article on the connection between Harry Leonard made doubles rifles and A. Hollis and Son. Well worth the read.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I read the 2nd part last week in the Winter 2019 issue of DGJ and I thought the writing and photos were very well done.

Posts: 348 | Location: South Carolina USA | Registered: 20 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Where can I read it? The Leonard auctioned doubles are my favorites.

Posts: 1276 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Colin Masters:
Where can I read it? The Leonard auctioned doubles are my favorites.

"Double Gun Journal"

Posts: 348 | Location: South Carolina USA | Registered: 20 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
You purchase an electronic version via the app "Pocketmags"!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
It aggravates me no end that Barnes & Noble no longer carry DGJ and my subscription lapsed. I guess I will need to call and renew and see if I can get it restarted with these editions.

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2246 | Location: Houston, TX. | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rusty, thanks for the kind words. In my acknowledgements in Part II, I thank Rusty and the late Mark Cash for introducing me to Hollis rifles and helping me assemble the history and loading techniques to make this old gun a working rifle. Thanks, Bob

And of all things, to learn in the Winter issue that fellow Houstonian George Foreman is a double rifle fan.

Posts: 1278 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 20 October 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
Maybe we should all put together a shoot and invite George!

N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
???? Ok, knock yourself out.

One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
I should clarify, maybe us Houston members of the DRSS should put together a shoot and invite him. Rusty used to put on some great shoots at his range,

N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I was thinking the same thing. I'll send a note to DGJ since his article and mine were in same issue and see if they will forward email to Mr. Foreman to see if he has interest. Lee, how was first winter in Idaho? bob

Posts: 1278 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 20 October 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shoot-away George?

One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
George Foreman the former World Heavyweight Boxing Champ who lives in Houston. Shootaway has been to one of our BigBore shoots before, and if we have another, He is welcome to come.

N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Robert.It would be exciting to meet and shoot with George Foreman.Speaking of big bore shoots,I received a call from Libby yesterday with the news that I won the Winchester model 70,280 Rem that was raffled off to help the Libby Rock Chuckers.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
Congratulations George. I am pretty fond of the 280, I load mine with 175 Swifts and had great performance on plains game with it. How much bother will getting it into Canada be?

N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've imported a couple of rifles from the US before.I don't think the importing process will be much different.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote