THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Are we limited to side by sides?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are we limited to side by sides?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted
My only double is a medium bore (.30-06 O/U) does it qualify me for discussion/membership here? I hope so, because I love it. Never did like the S by S's... oh well no accounting for taste. Glad to see this category!

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
quote:
My only double is a medium bore (.30-06 O/U) does it qualify me for discussion/membership here?

You bet your ass it does....

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Thanks big brother

cheers

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
O/U's are very, very elegant when well made. thumb A Ferlach product with 2 sets of barrels say 9.3 X 74R and 30R Blaser........ OH BABY!!!

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks big brother

No problem, Squirt Wink

577NitroExpress
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
If it has two barrels it is a double rifle! I have both, and love shooting them all. some doubles are better suited to the job at hand because of their configuration,but that doesn't mean they are not all equal in being called douuble rifles! all that is required to be a member of the DRSS, is to own, and shoot a double rifle, no matter if it is a O/U, or a "REAL" double rifle!. jumping

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigFiveJack:
O/U's are very, very elegant when well made. thumb A Ferlach product with 2 sets of barrels say 9.3 X 74R and 30R Blaser........ OH BABY!!!

Any combination of chamberings is nice to own, but in a O/U, my choice would be the 9.3X74R for the big bore barrels, and a trim little set of barrels chambered for .22 Hornet! I would also add a set of 28 ga shot barrels, as well! Of course both rifled sets, with QD mounted scopes!
My S/S rifles start at 9.3X74R, and go up to, and including a 500NE!

All Double rifles, wheather O/U, or S/S, should be chambered for rimmed cartridges, regardless of size!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
It's a good thing none of you have ever shot my CZ589 o/u .458 Lott. At the last Bubba Hunt I barely got back home with it. It's light, It's fast, it's accurate as hell. Nothing sweeter!-Rob

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers to do incredibly stupid things- AH (1941)- Harry Reid (aka Smeagle) 2012
Nothing Up my sleeves but never without a plan and never ever without a surprise!

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If the good Lord had meant for you to shoot an over and under He would have put your eyes one atop the other. Wink

Glenn

Posts: 254 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 02 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Robgunbuilder
I handled a CZ O/U 458 one time. If I knew then what I know now I might have bought it.
Are you going to the SHOT Show?
It looks like I will be there, we could meet for a beverage or maybe lunch.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
Hst, since I only shoot with one eye I suppose he did.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Zimbabwe, a big advantage to being dyslexic, in this case, is that one always appears as the other. Wink

DB

Posts: 1370 | Location: Home but going back. | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 308Sako:
My only double is a medium bore (.30-06 O/U) does it qualify me for discussion/membership here? I hope so, because I love it. Never did like the S by S's... oh well no accounting for taste. Glad to see this category!

My only 2-barreled MODERN smokeless-powder breechloading rifle is an old (pre-1912) J.P. Sauer in 8X60RS. Hardly a dangerous game rifle, but a double nontheless. And it still puts all 200-grain handloaded Nosler Partition-jacket bullets into 2" circle at 100 meters. In addition, I can keep all shots in the vital area of a whitetail deer at 200 yards with this rifle.

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
Last year I saw a CZ O/U in 458. As I recall it was $6,000. Can't believe I let it pass homer

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Robgunbuilder:
It's a good thing none of you have ever shot my CZ589 o/u .458 Lott. At the last Bubba Hunt I barely got back home with it. It's light, It's fast, it's accurate as hell. Nothing sweeter!-Rob

Rob, I shot your CZ at the Bubba Hunt, and everything that you posted above is true. I was surprized when shooting it, how comfortable an 8#, 458 Lott can be. Your right, you barely got home with it. I think everyone who shot it wanted to keep it. lol

Hog Killer

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
Thanks Hog Killer. I noticed how much you enjoyed it. I also noticed, that you hit everything you aimed at with it! I thought Oh No! Here it goes! The cat is really out of the bag now!
I understand only 200 CZ 458 doubles were ever imported into the US. Thus, they are pretty rare and that justifies the price. To be honest though knowing what we know now about converting them to a .458 Lott, they are easily worth a $6000 price tag. IMHO.-Rob

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers to do incredibly stupid things- AH (1941)- Harry Reid (aka Smeagle) 2012
Nothing Up my sleeves but never without a plan and never ever without a surprise!

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Doc52
posted Hide Post
Over/Under, S/S, still a double in my book, Welcome!

Doc52

Doc52
B. Searcy & Co .577 NE

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote!"

Benjamin Franklin 1759

Posts: 241 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote