Notify
Tools

New (to me) Merkel 140-2.1
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of 3584ELK
posted
Fellas,

Just picked up a really nice Merkel double in .470 NE. Not brand new, but nearly so. I got the original box, all papers, and regulation target (50 meters) fired with Federal Premium Trophy Bonded ammo.

Thanks to all the excellent advice given here and privately (470EDDY).

I am looking forward to working up a suitable handload and seeing how close I can get to the regulation load.

Merkel 140A- .470NE
Beretta Vittoria- 12 Ga.
J.P. Sauer & Sohn Type B- 9.3x64mm
ArmaLite AR-10A4- 7.62x51mm
Franchi Highlander- 12 Ga.
Marlin 1894 CB Limited- .41 Magnum
Remington 722- .244 Rem.
and many, many more.

An honest man learns to keep his horse saddled.

Posts: 592 | Location: Algona, WA | Registered: 15 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great buy....one of the most accurate doubles out there.

Posts: 20065 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ive heard a lot of loose talk about the Merkel doubles, but they point like a Boss shotgun, every one Ive played with shoot great..I can't see anything wrong with them, and those that do I say for the most part have a flinch.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41722 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a .500 what a great gun very accurate. They skimped a tad on recoil pad and was pounding rounds offhand the other day and my shoulder is sore LOL. Points and shoots great. Pretty lightweight mine is

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2802 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Ive heard a lot of loose talk about the Merkel doubles, but they point like a Boss shotgun, every one Ive played with shoot great..I can't see anything wrong with them, and those that do I say for the most part have a flinch.

As Ray says above one needs to get a good purchase on the trigger you are pulling first!

I have two Merkel double rifles, one is a 470NE, and the other is a 9.3X74. The 470 has been doubled by several folks when pulling the trigger and strumming the back trigger because of the unexpected recoil. That is not unusual for folks who are not used to heavy double rifle chamberings. In every case the doubleing was experienced by a novice to doubles.
The triggers are set on Merkel rifle to have the right barrel (front trigger)fired first. The right trigger is slightly lighter than the back trigger.
However, I shoot both ways, and have never had a double discharge from any of my Merkel double rifles or shotguns.
The other double being a 9.3X74R and is fitted with a set trigger for the right barrel with a normal pull when unset, but very light when set. If this rifle has the front trigger SET and the back trigger is fired one will sometimes get a doubling. If not set the only way to get a double discharge with this double is by strumming the back trigger under the recoil of right barrel.
None of this is the fault of the Merkel double rifles, but the fault of the person shooting it. I have owned these two double for many years, and have fire a ton of ammo through both of them and I have never experienced a double discharge from either of them.
Enjoy your new double rifle, and if you are new to double rifles. think before you pull the triggers before to make sure you have a good grip on the trigger you are pulling and you will love your new double rifle.
.................................. old MacD37

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
True. I got sloppy the other day and yanked it and doubled the 500 so fast it almost sounded like a single shot. Was pretty surprised. Due to the lack of delay it must of been a strum as at first I thought I might of set it off while switching triggers with my finger to the back trigger. First time that happened and it was not that big a deal. You Just want to make sure you are holding on tight. the first shot hit bullseye the second was on paper lol The problem with a 9 1/2 lb .500 is it has some recoil and you must hold onto it and insure your finger stays put

White Mountains Arizona

One of Us
Picture of tanks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gunslinger55:
...The problem with a 9 1/2 lb .500 is it has some recoil and you must hold onto it and insure your finger stays put

Wow, that's a bit over a pound lighter than my Heym 88B in .500.

Posts: 1083 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: 01 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I stand corrected I just weighed it and its 10 lbs 14 oz with snap caps and swivels

White Mountains Arizona

one of us
Picture of 3584ELK
posted Hide Post
Great advice all around, fellas.

I am looking at shooting some cast bullets through the rifle and working up in power as I familiarize myself.

What has everyone done for an M type expander die to open the case mouth for .476" bullets? I am considering a pair of .475 Linebaugh revolver dies.

Thanks in advance!

Merkel 140A- .470NE
Beretta Vittoria- 12 Ga.
J.P. Sauer & Sohn Type B- 9.3x64mm
ArmaLite AR-10A4- 7.62x51mm
Franchi Highlander- 12 Ga.
Marlin 1894 CB Limited- .41 Magnum
Remington 722- .244 Rem.
and many, many more.

An honest man learns to keep his horse saddled.

Posts: 592 | Location: Algona, WA | Registered: 15 April 2004Reply With Quote