New
Find
Notify
Tools

500 NE dummy round snap cap
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Looking for some seems unavailable. I have the half sized ones but looking for full length for dry fire/reload practice. I can make a dummy round but my 470 machined full length snap caps are very nice. Seems the company may have gone under. Anyone have an extra set?

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2840 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did you try NECG?

Posts: 20076 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
I use the 470 snap caps for dry fire / reload practice in my 500NE. Works fine.

posted Hide Post
You may want to check out Trader Keith. Their website advertises them for $70 per pair for “heavy calibers” bigger than 450 caliber.

Regards,

Posts: 13 | Location: AK | Registered: 13 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
True. I have a set of those. Should be close enough but surprised no one makes a full length one like my 470s
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:

White Mountains Arizona

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes they are only $30 a pair so i bought some but not what I was really looking for. I use empty cases initially but want a good dummy load snap cap for the reload
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
Did you try NECG?

White Mountains Arizona

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
make dummies, and trim down a pencil eraser for "primers"

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38383 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gunslinger55:
True. I have a set of those. Should be close enough but surprised no one makes a full length one like my 470s
quote:

Right. I'm not sure why they don't make them. Or at least why they aren't readily available and easy to find.

But for the purposes of dry fire / reload practice, they will work well. At one point I had gotten pretty proficient with the reload process. I did it by starting with the 1/2 length caps, snapping them, then pulling the 470 caps from my belt and inserting them, snapping and ejecting. Practice like that and you'll get fast in no time.

But yeah, if you want the full sized caps for the reality of it, they may be hard to find unless you make your own. If you do find some, let me know. I'll probably want a couple of sets also.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As Jeffeosso says make them Weigh a loaded case then make one to the same weight I used a pencil eraser sand instead of powder and filler to keep the sand from moving and a full size bullet..

Posts: 1608 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good idea

White Mountains Arizona

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Got a pair of NECG caps. Best deal for the buck by far. Still in the hunt for a full size

White Mountains Arizona

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Zephyr:
As Jeffeosso says make them Weigh a loaded case then make one to the same weight I used a pencil eraser sand instead of powder and filler to keep the sand from moving and a full size bullet..

Not sure I agree with that on the weight issue. When I'm practicing for speed loading, I want the snap caps to exit upon ejection like empty cases.

I get it that the other end of that practice is placing the new caps into the chambers but for that, I think the shape is more important than weight.

That's why I worked up to proficiency with using the half sized caps for the first two snaps, eject, load the 470 dummies, snap, and eject. That allows the first ejection to go similar to empty cases and reloading with caps similar in size and shape to live rounds.

If the caps are of similar weight to loaded rounds, I'm not sure you'll get satisfactory ejection after the first two snaps.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try Kynoch in England.

Morten

The more I know, the less I wonder !

Posts: 1137 | Location: Oslo area, Norway | Registered: 26 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Those are $70 a pair and the same half cartridge not full size. So these are a better deal

White Mountains Arizona

One of Us
posted Hide Post
100%

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Zephyr:

Not sure I agree with that on the weight issue. When I'm practicing for speed loading, I want the snap caps to exit upon ejection like empty cases.

I get it that the other end of that practice is placing the new caps into the chambers but for that, I think the shape is more important than weight.

That's why I worked up to proficiency with using the half sized caps for the first two snaps, eject, load the 470 dummies, snap, and eject. That allows the first ejection to go similar to empty cases and reloading with caps similar in size and shape to live rounds.

If the caps are of similar weight to loaded rounds, I'm not sure you'll get satisfactory ejection after the first two snaps.

White Mountains Arizona

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use empty cases as well, but snap caps are light enough to eject properly if you use ejectors. I assume a full weight would make practice with extractors not realistic either in my .470 but I have full size snap caps for that. The best setup would be cases/snap caps eject/extract then use weighted dummy round to reload. But I would be happy with a full sized machined snap cap like the ones for my .470. They are obvious to being red that they are dummy rounds.....

White Mountains Arizona