Find
Notify
Tools

Chapuis 470 Nitro
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 460 wby shooter
posted
Gentleman I'm thinking about purchasing a Chapuis 470 Nitro from Chaplin's firearms, I'm going to have to liquidate my collection of high-end military style rifles to do it but I think it'll be worth it! My question for you gentleman is do any of you have any experience with the Chapuis doubles? My second question is what is the recoil going to be like with the 470 Nitro? I have fired at 458 win mag and a 450/400 both Ruger number one's, plus I also used to own two Winchester model 70 Safari Express in 416 Remington and 375H&H in the past, how is the 470 Nitro going to be compared to those particular rifles?

Posts: 817 | Location: jimtown ND | Registered: 21 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are indeed a 460Wbyshooter, it will definitely be a step down from there :-)

But seriously, if you can handle a 458 in a Ruger #1, the 470 will be a pussycat in comparison.

Posts: 20083 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
If you are indeed a 460Wbyshooter, it will definitely be a step down from there :-)

But seriously, if you can handle a 458 in a Ruger #1, the 470 will be a pussycat in comparison.

I didn't include the 460 Weatherby as it had a muzzle brake on it and it was nothing more then a range toy so I never took the muzzle brake off it, sadly sold it a few years ago!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Chapuis 470 was reliable and as well regulated as my London doubles--took two elephant bulls with no complaints. The double rifle market is funky but I made money on three London doubles and lost a couple of grand when I sold the Chapuis--something to consider.

Recoil depends on fit. Six shots from a bench was my limit or I would start to flinch. JJ Perodeau can install a mercury recoil reducer if needed--they work.

Posts: 362 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 25 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tanks
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yep. I don't know why anyone shoots big bores with a Ruger Number 1. Too light of a rifle and fit is not that great either.

Posts: 1083 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: 01 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I have had at least 4 Chapuis DRs; they are great rifles. The only thing I don't like about them is the automatic ejectors, which cost more to get extractors, for some strange reason, on an order than it does to get ejectors. I hate ejectors but tolerate them. They are no faster, throw your brass ten feet away, and if you learn how to catch your expensive brass at the range so it doesn't fall onto the concrete floor, you will do that in the field, a very bad habit. Anyway, not germane here.
As for a 470 recoil vs a bolt action, it's comparing apples to oranges. Double Rifles are nothing like shooting bolt actions; you never shoot them hunkered down on and from the bench, (they aren't regulated for that), and they are built differently. And feel totally different in your hands and in action. But if you can handle any recoil, you will be fine.

Posts: 17095 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chapuis seems to build rifles with a higher than normal cheek comb. I would never buy one in a Nitro caliber without shouldering the rifle first. Scoping would take care of most of the height issues but then it most likely would need to be regulated again.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6600 | Location: Cumberland Plateau, Tennessee | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
That is very true, and why all mine are/were, scoped. However, putting scopes on big bores, they do not always need re regulating. I've done it several times with no change. It's a smaller percentage of the weight. Never know until you try one how they will react. Double rifles are not like bolt actions in any way. Ok, they both fling bullets; but that ends the similarity.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snowwolfe:
Chapuis seems to build rifles with a higher than normal cheek comb. I would never buy one in a Nitro caliber without shouldering the rifle first. Scoping would take care of most of the height issues but then it most likely would need to be regulated again.

I was thinking of adding a doctor Red Dot site or something similar.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I was thinking of adding a doctor Red Dot site or something similar

The most sensible solution.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My next question gentlemen is do all the Chapuis rifles come with a 16 plus inch length of pull? The reason why I ask is I have a local dealer who says he thinks he can get me the rifle I'm looking at and is interested in trading for the firearms I wish to sell.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
They are on the long side unless you order one new and tell them the LOP you want. I guess they figure it is easier to cut them off than extend them. Looks better anyway. But the ones I had were fine.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:

I can vouch for the above statement! I have a 470NE double rifle, and I have a 458 Ruger N01 and you will love the 470NE in a double rifle!
Everyone should own a 470NE double rifle, so they can take on any animal on the planet in relative comfort on the shoulder.
............................. oldMacD37

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I have shot them. They tend to punch me in the face. The combs are too high for me.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13379 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one in 375 Flanged. It is well regulated and shoots any 300 gr bullet into 2 inches at 50 yards with 63 gr of R-15.

USMC Retired
DSC Life Member
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 730 | Location: Maryland Eastern Shore | Registered: 27 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well it looks like my local dealer can get me the Chapuis 470 I want so I guess it's time for me to start acquiring reloading equipment and components for the 470, unfortunately powder will be the hardest thing to get but I think I might have a little bit that will work. I am going to have to try to find some reloader 15 though. I know it's going to take a few months to get my Chapuis but I'm getting really excited to finally be a member of the double rifle shooter society

One of Us
Picture of H T
posted Hide Post
I got a 470 Chapuis from Champlin in the early 2000s. You won't regret it. Well made and well regulated. Have taken 3 eles and 4 or 5 cape buffalo. Plus some plains game just for fun.

What I would change:
The forend is kind of wide and I would like it better if it was more slender, in the English double style. Reason why is to hold extra shells in my hand that is also hanging onto the forend. Small thing, though...

Second item is I had the firing pins start not retracting when cocking. That could be exciting at the wrong time ! Turns out the pins were peening just a bit. I had fired it well over 500 times, so that wasn't something most people will encounter. I believe at that time the steel in the pins was a bit soft. A local VERY GOOD gunsmith reshaped the pins and it worked OK after that. I encountered Mr. Chapuis at the SCI show and talked about this with him. He said just order another set of pins and have them installed. I had JJ do that and have been happy ever since.

Recoil to me was very similar to an old model 70 458WM that I have. Had Champlin put in a couple of mercury reducers to begin with, but that may have been more than was needed.

Love the gun and will go after buffalo again in August. Reloading is a challenge since we don't have access to the same primers used in factory ammo. So I use factory ammo.

I also built a standing benchrest for testing the factory loads and for practice. Helps a ton, compared to shooting from a sitting position, all bent over.

Good luck!

Posts: 730 | Location: Kerrville, TX | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
One of my PHs in Zimbabwe had one. He loved it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well looks like the deal my buddy was going to get me is going to fall through as Beretta wants him to order four guns in order to be able to get the one gun! So I called George Chaplin at Chaplin firearms it looks like on Monday I'm going to be purchasing the Chapuis from him! George seems like a really good fellow and he spent over an hour talking to me about Africa and African rifles!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 460 wby shooter:
Well looks like the deal my buddy was going to get me is going to fall through as Beretta wants him to order four guns in order to be able to get the one gun! So I called George Chaplin at Chaplin firearms it looks like on Monday I'm going to be purchasing the Chapuis from him! George seems like a really good fellow and he spent over an hour talking to me about Africa and African rifles!

George Caswell is a great guy. He was very helpful to me when buying my first double rifle.

USMC Retired
DSC Life Member
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 730 | Location: Maryland Eastern Shore | Registered: 27 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My .470 weighs 11 1/2 lbs so absorbs recoil pretty good. Large frame

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2846 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Talk to George Champlin's arms today, my gun is in the country and should be arriving at his shop next week after that it's going to JJ for mounting a RMR. Can't wait to get it!