New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Tiger Rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have had it a few years now, but finally got the time to post this.

I learned to shoot pretty much with grandfathers 375 H&H Flanged magnum double rifle but wandered off and left doubles alone for a long time using bolt rifles for all my hunting. A few years ago I got the urge and after much to and fro settled on a Verney Carron in 470 caliber. As with most projects it grew from a basic rifle to go on and add every feature that can adorn a fine double rifle. What the hell you only live once!

I had it made a bit light so it would be easy to carry. The recoil is not at all excessive and with the red dot its easy to shoot 100 yards+ also. My longest shot to-date has been on an ostrich at 140 yards in Masailand!

I visited the factory to select the wood and see the rifle when it was being built. Jerome who headed the custom gun department at the time, did a great job and I could not have been happier with the outcome. It shoots very accurately 2" at 50 yards. I had it regulated with Hornady factory ammo but it shoots very well if not better with Federal woodleigh, swift ammo etc. Its one of those guns that shoots anything well.

With regard to the engraving, I wanted something that would relate to India and also in memory of my father and grandfather who shot several dozen tigers between them. So chose the Tiger and hence the name The Tiger Rifle.

I will let the pictures tell the story from production to finish.

The very first time I got to shoot the rifle was on a driven boar hunt in France. It turned out to be a cold day with driving sleet and snow and everyone and everything including my new rifle was drenched completely! what a way to blood a new double rifle!! The first shot accounted for a wild boar and so far the Tiger has killed everything its gone after!

I guess this is as close as a Tiger is going to get to eat an Ostrich!

Arjun Reddy
Hunters Networks LLC
30 Ivy Hill Road
Brewster, NY 10509
Tel: +1 845 259 3628

Posts: 2536 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifle. Can you tell us how much it cost?

USMC Retired
DSC Life Member
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 730 | Location: Maryland Eastern Shore | Registered: 27 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mississippian
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifle!

Double Rifle Shooters Society

Posts: 1094 | Location: Yazoo City, Mississippi | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
Tastefully done Arjun

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7594 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
VERY NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12865 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What a beautiful rifle, Arjun.

Posts: 1426 | Location: Shelton, CT | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Super nice build, the Tiger engraving is awesome and a great story to go with it. Thanks for sharing.

JP

Formerly JPaul

Posts: 60 | Location: Central Valley, California  | Registered: 03 May 2021Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Very nice indeed.
Great way to honor your father and grandfather.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2796 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well done, Arjun. Congratulations! Brian

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3336 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifle Arjun

Posts: 147 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 02 January 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What a magnificent rifle!!! Congrats to you!!!

However you have caused me to commit the sins of envy, lust and covetousness.

DRSS

Posts: 1151 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
Very impressive indeed,beautiful rifle,how much did it end up weighing?what red dot are you using?

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
Outstanding! Thank you for sharing, love the rolled/beaded edge on the trigger guard on VCs and the engraving...awesome.

Posts: 1064 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Well done, Arjun! tu2 tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice rifle

Posts: 373 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 13 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice rifle

I got a 1922 Wilkinson .470 that came from India. If it could only talk

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2847 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Nice rifle and great story. Nostalgia of dad & grand dad are in the Tiger. I love that.

I wish there was a heart emoji here! Wink

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You did well
Good Shooting

Posts: 1612 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Arjun, obviously a beautiful rifle. Did you ever talk to them about how they hunted? Let me explain. Unless you are a Maharajah you are not hunting from the back of an elephant with your trusty double! My dad hunted tiger in India. Their method was to wait for a village to complain about their livestock being eaten by a tiger. Go into the jungle, have the servants build a machan, then in the evening go out there with a couple of goats, tie them to a tree, climb up onto the machan and wait for the goats to complain that they were being eaten. At that point the servants would turn on the torches (flashlights to you), and the tiger would be shot using the trusty .303 Lee Enfield! All at night!
Peter

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks all for your kind compliments. I just thought I would write this post as I know there are several double rifle afficinados on this site. Not everyone quite understands the madness Wink.

Regarding Tiger hunting. Many people have this image that all Tigers were shot from elephant back. Thats not true at all and infact was probably a very small percentage of all Tigers shot in those days. Most states in India had Tiger hunting but not all states had tame elephants to hunt from and it was also not the tradition. The hunts from elephant back were mainly done up North in places like Cooch Behar which had high elephant grass from which the tigers were driven out using other elephants and the only way to see these tigers were from an elevated platform hence from howdahs on elephant back. In places like Hyderabad where my father and grandfather mostly hunted, Tigers were shot in beats (driven hunts using local villagers) and also from Machans at night over natural kills or village buffaloes used as bait. Not so much goats as it would not be big enough meal for a tiger, used more for panthers (leopards). In those days they would tie up several young buffaloes at suitable sites and once a kill was made they would build a machan in a tree and also sometimes from the ground and sit over the kill. My father also shot several tigers on foot while hunting in the jungles in places where tigers would lie up during the day, like big rock formations that had big caves, along water holes surrounded by thick bamboo thickets and rivers in the summer months etc.

On one occassion during the very hot summer months, while out hunting they were quietly approaching a waterhole when he saw a big tiger and shot it, it jumped behind a bank and dissapeared from view, when he quietly peeped over the bank, he saw it lying dead and in the small waterhole he saw a second tiger so shot that too. Two days later he shot a 3rd tiger so 3 tigers in 3 days! Sadly my father passed away when I was 16 so I didn't get to hear many of his stories. He lived about 9 months of the year in the jungles and remote districts teeming with big-game so got to hunt a lot! I feel blessed to have seen a sliver of what those days must have been like. Thinking back, it was like looking through a tiny window which slowly closed forever.

Arjun

Posts: 2536 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wonderful stories. Thanks for sharing.

DRSS

Posts: 1151 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
looking through a tiny window which slowly closed forever.

Says it all!
Peter

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice rifle indeed...

Been in that factory myself.. Enjoyable to walk around and see the guys work with Jerome as a guide at that time..

By the way, reading the story, we nowadays hunters live in the wrong century... Wink

Morten

The more I know, the less I wonder !

Posts: 1137 | Location: Oslo area, Norway | Registered: 26 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Great stories. I grew up with my dad hunting tigers in 1950s and early 60s. Yes most were from a machan and the occasional beat hunt.

quote:
Originally posted by reddy375:
Thanks all for your kind compliments. I just thought I would write this post as I know there are several double rifle afficinados on this site. Not everyone quite understands the madness Wink.

Regarding Tiger hunting. Many people have this image that all Tigers were shot from elephant back. Thats not true at all and infact was probably a very small percentage of all Tigers shot in those days. Most states in India had Tiger hunting but not all states had tame elephants to hunt from and it was also not the tradition. The hunts from elephant back were mainly done up North in places like Cooch Behar which had high elephant grass from which the tigers were driven out using other elephants and the only way to see these tigers were from an elevated platform hence from howdahs on elephant back. In places like Hyderabad where my father and grandfather mostly hunted, Tigers were shot in beats (driven hunts using local villagers) and also from Machans at night over natural kills or village buffaloes used as bait. Not so much goats as it would not be big enough meal for a tiger, used more for panthers (leopards). In those days they would tie up several young buffaloes at suitable sites and once a kill was made they would build a machan in a tree and also sometimes from the ground and sit over the kill. My father also shot several tigers on foot while hunting in the jungles in places where tigers would lie up during the day, like big rock formations that had big caves, along water holes surrounded by thick bamboo thickets and rivers in the summer months etc.

On one occassion during the very hot summer months, while out hunting they were quietly approaching a waterhole when he saw a big tiger and shot it, it jumped behind a bank and dissapeared from view, when he quietly peeped over the bank, he saw it lying dead and in the small waterhole he saw a second tiger so shot that too. Two days later he shot a 3rd tiger so 3 tigers in 3 days! Sadly my father passed away when I was 16 so I didn't get to hear many of his stories. He lived about 9 months of the year in the jungles and remote districts teeming with big-game so got to hunt a lot! I feel blessed to have seen a sliver of what those days must have been like. Thinking back, it was like looking through a tiny window which slowly closed forever.

Arjun

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifle + great post!

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Should make a perfect Alaskan bear rifle

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4194 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 458Win:
Should make a perfect Alaskan bear rifle

noose bison or muskox as well.

great double rifle Arjun.

Posts: 1731 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing, Arjun!
Beautiful creation, hands on!! A great gun cabinet mate to your H&H 375FlMag!!
Wishing you great hunts with it!!

CheerZ,

470EDDY

Posts: 2559 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's an absolute beauty!

Posts: 434 | Location: CA.  | Registered: 26 October 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
Love it!

Posts: 2637 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful gun, get rid of that black wart on the rib its sinful on a fine double!! rotflmo

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well done!!!! Great rifle.
Don't listen to Ray, his taste in rifles is like his taste in horses..... He prefers them old and slow...

Posts: 10150 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifle.
The name got me to thinking of the Jim Corbett books about hunting man eating tigers and leopards in India. I've read and reread those books.
May you have good fortune on your hunts.

Posts: 312 | Location: Alaska to Kalispell MT | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gorgeous rifle. And fun hunting!

DRSS

Posts: 1905 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote