THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    410 SXS with 38 special inserts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

410 SXS with 38 special inserts
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted
While I'm waiting on my 44Mag double to be built I spent a few $$ for 38 special inserts for my 410 double. Finally got a break (raining) to test fire it. Using the shotgun sights and some cowboy action reloads I set the target at 40yds. Looking straight down the barrel I put the bull on top of the front bead. Pulled the trigger and the impact was center of the bull but 6" right. Left barrel hit exactly 1.5" left of the right. Four more pair and I had a 2.5" hole.

Anyone have any experience with inserts? wondering if playing with swapping and or rotating might move the impact. Don't want to add sights or alter the shotgun. It has been in the wife's family since at least her grandfather.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought a 38/357 insert for my Savage 24V, have not gotten to a range yet to test. I'm hopeful, it's a rifled insert.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14361 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm hopeful, it's a rifled insert

My inserts are 6 or 7" and rifled.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The wall thickness must be mighty thin.

I made a 30/30 insert for a 12 gauge SxS Stoeger. It is the full length of shotgun barrel, 20”.
Made for turkey in Texas where a hog might show up. I don’t care for slugs.

M

Posts: 1227 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TomP:
I bought a 38/357 insert for my Savage 24V, have not gotten to a range yet to test. I'm hopeful, it's a rifled insert.

I'm thinking about mono blocking a pair of barrels into a 410 double shotgun with a pair of 20 inch barrels chambered for the 256 Win Mag, and regulate it to factory ammo, for varmint hunting. Then giving it to my great grandson when he is old enough to go with me, and his dad to hunt coyotes, and bob cats.
……...…………………...…………...… oldMacD37

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
The wall thickness must be mighty thin

Bore is .355 same as they use for the 380 and 357mag. The 410 insert is listed for std 38sp pressure or lower. It appears they no longer make the insert for the 2.5" chamber like mine.

Mac that would be a fun combo. I have a 28ga SXS at Aaron Littles. It will be a simple 44mag double when it gets back. Fun to shoot cheap to reload and big enough for deer and hogs.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Thin? How thick do you need for a 38 special? They have practically no pressure which can be held with a piece of electrical conduit. If you have ever seen an RG revolver you will know how thin it can be.

Posts: 17089 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was thinking the barrel would be into the .410” diameter of the bore. Just being length of chamber it’s much thicker.

Posts: 1227 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Clark:
I was thinking the barrel would be into the .410” diameter of the bore. Just being length of chamber it’s much thicker.

Confused I see no reason to use a bore liner when full length barrels can simply be mono-blocked into the first three or four inches of the reamed 410 chamber end of the shotgun barrels, and be regulated for the pistol cartridge.
……………….........…….. oldMacD37

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Why not just build a real DR on your 410 frame? Maybe you want to convert it back to a shotgun someday. It is not quite that simple a job.

Posts: 17089 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Why not just build a real DR on your 410 frame? Maybe you want to convert it back to a shotgun someday. It is not quite that simple a job.

That's what Ellis Brown did for my son's 410 about 8-9 years ago. Here is is prior to rust bluing. 24" shoe lump 25-20 barrels with a 2x leupold.

DRSS

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?"

Posts: 810 | Location: MT | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
mine started out as a Wm.Parkhurst 44XL.... the predecessor to a .410... basically a .44 caliber shot cartridge 1 7/16" long, but .432 at the muzzle... I bought it on GB as a .410, but couldnt' get the 2 1/2" shells to chamber.. sent it to a gunsmith, while I was waiting on a report from him, a friend at the Ft. Worth gunshow told me what I had... so we reamed the chamber to 2", and shot RST 3/8 oz shotshells in it.. ahd a .38 chamber made and shot those too... sadly the gun was stolen along with 114 others in January this year... it was a neat little 5 lb hammer Damascus double.... before you jump me for shooting Damascus, I used the low pressure stuff RST especially makes, and the barrels and action were checked by several reputable gunsmiths...

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2826 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Who made the inserts for the 410?

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Who made the inserts for the 410

Rusty this is where I bought mine

https://chaszel.com/

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
O Bob
Nice rifle.
Ellis does good work and teaches gunsmiths how also.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Where does it pattern as a shotgun? You may find the front bead is off anyway. 6" at 40 is .1" on a 26" barrel.

You have won 2/3 of the battle already .. getting both barrels shooting in the same place.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2927 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
You have won 2/3 of the battle already .. getting both barrels shooting in the same place.

Great point

Thanks

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Never got around to testing the pattern. But did epoxy on a rear sight so it allows me to bracket the front bead pretty much like a pistol sight. Now the bullet hit the bull. Sure fun to plink with. flame

As usual just my $.02
Paul K