Notify
Tools

Dakota double
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted
Howdy Gents,

I attended a Safari Club meeting recently and the host had a Dakota Arms double rifle in .470 NE. He said there were only five or six manufactured.

It was a round body action and very nicely deep-relief engraved. A slim rifle like a Merkel or an H&H.

I was just curious about the rifles; did Dakota actually make the actions and barrels or were they purchased from another manufacturer? It's hard to imagine that Dakota would have made the actions itself with only a few being produced.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
While I can't say the guns in question are the same, I looked at buying one a few years back. They were made by an Italian company if I remember correctly.

Posts: 11906 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One of the PHs for HHK has one in 470.

Posts: 20075 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
While I can't say the guns in question are the same, I looked at buying one a few years back. They were made by an Italian company if I remember correctly.

This is absolutely true! They were nice looking rifles,but at the time they were made they were vary over priced for an Italian double rifle with Dakota's name engraved on it!

The four or five count is most likely accurate, because they didn't sell, and died on the vine so to speak. Rusty and I looked the first one over pretty well at the DSC show a few yrs ago, and were not impressed with the rifle outside the typical Italian "PIMP FACTOR" decoration!

When we were inspecting the rifle at the Dakota booth, the salesmen was just full of questions about double rifles. Dakota's folks didn't have a clue where double rifles were concerned, and had only imported the rifles, and had nothing to do with making them!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Weren't they S.I.A.C.E. double rifles? Or was that only the Dakota shotguns?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
They had one in the booth. It was only a 375. I wasn't interested. However, that gun felt good, real good. Beautiful and perfectly balanced.

Posts: 11906 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
http://www.ferlib.com/

Ferlib made the rifles for Dakota. They have a few pictures of them on the above website. Look under the "double express rifle" page. ( English version doesn't work, have to go Italian)

Bailey Bradshaw

www.bradshawgunandrifle.com

I'm in the gun buildin bidness, and cousin....bidness is a boomin

Posts: 568 | Location: Diana, TX | Registered: 10 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bailey Bradshaw:
http://www.ferlib.com/

Ferlib made the rifles for Dakota. They have a few pictures of them on the above website. Look under the "double express rifle" page. ( English version doesn't work, have to go Italian)

Thanks for the info. The boxlock double rifles on the Ferlib website are engraved "Dakota Arms":

http://www.ferlib.com/htm/doub...e_expressver_big.htm

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
were not impressed with the rifle outside the typical Italian "PIMP FACTOR" decoration!

Too funny!!!

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote