New
Find
Notify
Tools

1906 Jeffrey .450-400 3”
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Someone on Facebook sent me pictures of his rifle and was wanting more info, hopefully he will chime in.

Leonard actioned .450-400 3”,Came out of an estate in Denmark, and looks to be very well kept. He got a good deal on it.

Cal is looking to see if it appears in the ledger pages he has.

Hopefully the owner will chime in, it has taken elephant and hippo under his care.

Posts: 1278 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1278 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful...

Posts: 370 | Location: USA | Registered: 26 March 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
That is a real beauty. 115 years old... doesn't look a day over 25... lovely...

One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like the one you pointed out to me on auction!! Mine is fully engraved vs color case hardened action.
Great shooter!!
CheerZ,

470EDDY

Posts: 2540 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
You know, these Jeffrey 450-400 3 " have been owned and used by famous people and for difficult hunting... John Corbett used one extensively in his Man Eater Tiger pursuits... that one I think ended up in the Elmer Keith collection that was on display for years in the Keith collection display at Cabelas, Boise.... and later sold at auction for BIG MONEY.... I think it is in the Safari Rifle collection of Bill Jones now??
Jack O'Connor also owned one... and no one knows its location!! The Historian of the JOC HERITAGE CENTER knows the serial number!!
A very versatile double!!

CHEERZ,

470EDDY

Posts: 2540 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I believe that the 3 digit code on the under rib incicates that your Jeffery was made by Harry Leonard. He made rifles to order for the trades. You should find that same number stamped in the bottom action plate and on the interior of the stock where it joins the action. beautiful rifle!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes sir, it was actioned by Leonard.

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Colin Masters:
Yes sir, it was actioned by Leonard.

That’s very cool to know the actual builder from so long ago. Stuff like that makes me want to know more about the person. Adds a bit to the story.

One Of Us
posted Hide Post
There is a bit of information on Leonard in the BOOTHROYD'S, DIRECTORY OF BRITISH GUNMAKERS 1850-PRESENT.
It covers Daniel 1832-1865 in Birmingham
Leonard & Son 1866-1900 4 different addresses in Birmingham with July 15, 1895 Advertisement

Samuel. 1850-1857, Birmingham, 2 addresses.

CheerZ,

470EDDY

one of us
posted Hide Post
I wrote a two part article on Hollis double rifles, made by Leonard as was Jeffrey, in the Autumn and Winter 2019 Double Gun Journal. Much of the maker info was sourced via AR (Rusty, 400 Nitroexpress). Bob

Posts: 1280 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 20 October 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bobc:
I wrote a two part article on Hollis double rifles, made by Leonard as was Jeffrey, in the Autumn and Winter 2019 Double Gun Journal. Much of the maker info was sourced via AR (Rusty, 400 Nitroexpress). Bob

Great job Bobc!
The Jeffery Day Book is full of pages denoting the rifles would come from Leonard!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
https://www.bestguns.dk/produc...l-kal-400-jefferyne/

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

It has been for sale for some years. First they wanted dkr 90Ks...then lowered to Dkr 78Ks..which might a more attractive price for the international marked.

Dkr 78 Ks is about usd 12500.

Vintage english doublerifles doesn't have an appeal for majority of hunters/shooters overhere. Most doesn't even understand it..."a shotgun with two rifled barrels...doh"!!..

There are a few ofcouse that does cheerish english vintage guns.

One Of Us
posted Hide Post
That's a great rifle and not a bad price if it were landed here in US!!
Sadly, the cost of shipping, insurance, import broker, plus local transfer and US taxes... it can double the purchase price... so then out of the ballpark!!
Thank you for sharing.... it is showing the real pricing of great Brit Doubles these days...and it ain't sold yet!!
CheerZ

470EDDY

one of us
posted Hide Post
All they have to do is send it to an individual, it will arrive at US Customs, and you need an FFL dealer to receive it, cost is reasonable and at $12,500 you have a lot of room to play..Also its age will be a plus in the US Customs Office..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Appears to be a lovely DR! tu2

One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray,
I don't think that is correct on an import?
You must obtain an ATF FORM 6 first.
Unless the gun is built BEFORE 1890, it must go thru a licensed import broker to clear customs and pay US Duty. They must add their stamp on the gun, then it goes to your gun dealer for background check, unless you have a Curios and Relics license for guns over 50 years old. Then pay Federal tax, and local sales tax....that's how nice guns from Europe jump 100% by the time they arrive!!
That would be COOL if something has changed!!... tell me if I'm wrong.... I just went thru this considering a nice old H&H Sidelock 375FlMag offered at UKP 28,000!!

In the good old days you could buy a cheap ticket, fly over, ogle your gun, negotiate and buy it, pack it up and bring home as checked luggage.... with your ATF 6 in hand...

We have come along way, EH??!!

CheerZ,

470EDDY

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It cost about $ 5-600 to ship a gun from Denmark to the US.
The paperwork overhere is free. No government fees.
As a private or gundealer no difference in paperwork.

I have here last year in sept exported two rifles to a collector in north america. They both fitted in the same case. Shipping was $530. Overnight delivery.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The last double I bought came out of So. AFrica to Boise Id. a 577 Army Navy, totals cost was just under $400 to my dealer in Boise and $50 to him for handleing the transaction..That was 5 years ago!!

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray,
Your dealer must be a licensed Importer in order to get it released from US Customs??!!..... otherwise he knows someone or got lucky!!... No Duty, and no US Excise tax...
HUMMMM!!
Bet that cost didn't include air freight from SA??

In the early 90s, I brought in a MANTON from Australia. Air Freight with UNITED was about $450, and Importer in Drnver and duty was about $750....

You got lucky, MON!!

CheerZ,

470EDDY

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
If the item to be imported is 100 years old or older, there is no duty to pay.

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
There is another Jeffrey 450-400 3 " coming up on the Rock Island Auction in September.
Basic model with the "circus animals" on the action.

470EDDY