Find
Notify
Tools

Heym 89B
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted
Well, I finally pulled both triggers and ordered one of these in .470 Nitro Express.

Chris Sells at Heym USA was and is great to deal with. Chris is an extremely knowledgeable guy.

These rifles are hand-made, and I am told I should get mine in a year, plus or minus.

The features on this rifle are well thought-out and exactly what I was looking for. The standard features, with my added features, are listed below:

- Anson & Deeley long bar boxlock with triple lock-up (Purdey double underbites with a Greener crossbolt).
- Automatic ejectors.
- Non-automatic safety, with perfectly (at least to me) shaped button on the tang.
- Coin finished receiver with Grade 3 coverage English scroll engraving and “HEYM” discreetly engraved on both sides and bottom of receiver.
- Rust blued, 26-inch Krupp steel, hammer forged shoe lump barrels with quarter rib and front sight ramp, with “HEYM .470 N.E.” engraved and gold inlaid on barrel top rib.
- Double bladed rear sight on rib with a stippled, fixed blade engraved “50” and having a gold center line, and with a stippled folding blade engraved “100”.
- Flattened, brass beaded front sight on ramp having an ivory beaded flip up night sight.
- Exhibition grade, made to order Turkish walnut stock (designed by Ralf Martini) having what appears to be a Pachmayr Decelerator recoil pad.
- Checkered pistol grip and splinter fore end having Deeley release lever.
- Trigger guard extended to engraved steel grip cap.
- Double triggers with articulated front trigger.
- Double intercepting sears.
- 2-inch group at 50 yards guaranteed or it doesn't leave the factory.

The best of the old and the new, it seems to me. To paraphrase the Heym website, both classic British design and modern German engineering, materials and manufacture.

What say the double rifle gurus? I seem to be happy. Big Grin

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13379 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, Mike!

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3507 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I once had the Heym in .375 and was very very accurate.

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mississippian
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! I hope to see pictures about this time next year or sooner!

Double Rifle Shooters Society

Posts: 1094 | Location: Yazoo City, Mississippi | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
Congrats! Have had 6 different Heym Doubles. Still own 3. The newish "British" design was a very good update to a great rifle.

Mac

Posts: 1722 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
Congrats,you are in for a load of fun & maybe more double rifles,one is never enough Big Grin

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
Congratulations and sounds about perfect! Can't wait to see pics when it's done.

Posts: 1064 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
That sounds about like what I would order. I can’t wait to see it, just as all the others here.

The wait must be frustrating, but I’m sure it will be worth it.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats!!

DRSS

Posts: 1151 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Awesome is strong with this one.

Posts: 10805 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
very good choice Mike.

Posts: 1730 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’ve had my 89B in .470 for over 4 years. It’s been fired over 400 times for load development and 3 trips to Africa and 1 to Australia without a single problem. Great rifle!

Posts: 48 | Location: Texas | Registered: 16 August 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Congrats! Pics please once it shows up. And yes, Chris is great to deal with! tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
did you received it?

Posts: 1730 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Another AR member asked me about this just the other day.

COVID and the ammo shortage have slowed down my delivery schedule. I’m supposed to get the rifle by August. That will be 21+ months from the date of my order as opposed to the one year originally projected.

But I am not complaining. The 89B is a hand-made rifle and the people who make it were subject to sickness, quarantines and lock downs just like the rest of us were.

It’s been just as hard or harder to get Hornady factory ammo in Germany as it has been here, and that’s what they regulate their rifles with.

So, I’m still waiting.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13379 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good choice. If I were buying a double, Heym would be for me too....

Posts: 10135 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote