New
Find
Notify
Tools

Small caliber doubles
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have owned and used a number of small bore doubles. My German built 8x57R was used for hog culling and deer hunting here in central Texas for 10 years or more. My Watson Brothers 400/360 probably also fits into the small bore class. I built a 32-20 double on a .410 frame many years ago for a friend and he took turkey with it. Along with these, I have a Bernardelli 303 and am finishing (slowly) a drop lock 303 Westley. I've also hunted locally with several 333R Jeffery's through the years and would love to find another to add to my collection.

Posts: 34 | Location: Hunt, Texas & Pagosa Springs Co. | Registered: 26 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of HendrikNZ
posted Hide Post
My current favourite rifle is a Heym 80B in 7x57R, its prints both barrels within an inch at 100yrds.

Posts: 354 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 11 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Long, long ago I almost bought a double 22 Savage (22 Hi-Power, 22/3000). Didn't but it was bought by someone I knew. Used it once on a hunt to shoot an Axis deer. Lovely little rifle, with hammers, unfortunately I do not remember the maker. I just fired the one shot with it! The guy who bought it also had some chamber inserts so you could shoot 22 LR through it as well.

One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
I called a guy about a Merkel double in 7x57R for sale that I really wanted. I have a drilling with that caliber rifle and the wife has a Merkel single shot in 7x57R. He was holding it for someone but offered a slightly used Merkel in 30-06 at a price I could not turn down. It shoots great and the wife has claimed it as her plains game rifle for our next trip to Africa.

Posts: 887 | Location: Wichita Falls Texas or Colombia | Registered: 25 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Sharps45-90,
Have you ever seen, shot, or owned a .45-90 double rifle?? If so, your opinions on it would interest me.

The 2.4 inch brass holds enough powder to make things interesting; 96% of the capacity of the .458 Win Mag.

My .45-70 DR has an appointment to have the chambers extended to .45-90 and be re regulated for 450 grain bullets at 2150 fps.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Reverend Recoil
posted Hide Post
Has anyone ever seen a double rifle in caliber 7.62X54 Russian? I think it would be a good one for all but the biggest bears.

DR #2276, P-100 2021

posted Hide Post
I'm new to the double rifle game. I've been watching for a Merkel 141 in either 7x 57R or 8 x 57 JRS. After several years of watching, I finally found an 8 x 57 at the price I wanted to pay, when I had the scratch in hand.
Should be in next week.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wayne, you'll grow to love the 8x57....it's a great round.

Posts: 20083 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Roscoe Stephenson
posted Hide Post
When it comes to small-bore double rifles the .303 is to die for. Nothing compares in grace, elegance, or performance.

They are like Lays potato chips - you can't just have one.

Curl

RoscoeStephenson.com

YOUR DOUBLE RIFLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

Posts: 39 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 20 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Roscoe,
thanks for sharing your magnificent collection with us!! Although you have caused me to commit the sins of lust and envy.

DRSS

Posts: 1151 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
I THINK YOU'RE ABSOLUTELY RIGHT, BANG ON!!
I have a friend who has you beat, however, he just bought my fully engraved H&H DOMINION...putting him at 6!!...and he has some bolt guns, and single shot Brits as well!!
You have a great collection and some very high quality doubles!!
I wish I were younger....
Cheers,

470EDDY

Posts: 2557 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wish I was filthy rich. I would have the biggest double collection in the world.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crshelton:
Sharps45-90,
Have you ever seen, shot, or owned a .45-90 double rifle?? If so, your opinions on it would interest me.

The 2.4 inch brass holds enough powder to make things interesting; 96% of the capacity of the .458 Win Mag.

My .45-70 DR has an appointment to have the chambers extended to .45-90 and be re regulated for 450 grain bullets at 2150 fps.

Sorry CR, I tried to PM you on this but obviously my opinions about certain other matters have offended you. Nevertheless, I feel duty bound to warn you that trying to achieve those velocities in a db with a 2.4-inch case may not be a good idea.

Admittedly, double rifles have been made in 458WM but that was probably more to meet cartridge availability 50 years ago than optimum pressure in such rifles. I suppose if you not only had the chambers extended to .45-90 but the throat extended significantly, too, you might get away with it, loading very-long, long-COL cartridges. However, the Brits' preferred answer to these problems was much-longer cases not stuffed with too much powder, such as the .450 Nitro Express and, even better, the longer .450 NE No. 2.

Posts: 4942 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nopride2:
I wish I was filthy rich. I would have the biggest double collection in the world.

Dave

I think that if that were true, you would soon be broke just like most who wish the same thing! Me included.
It's the same for me, though I have owned several name brand doubles over the years, I now have only seven double rifles, but like you I wish I could just shop till I find one I want and simply write a check without worrying about the long term effect on my family.
Would be nice for a while though!
............................................ oldMacD37

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hell Mac, broke is a way of life. I to have owned and sold a bunch of doubles. Down to five now.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of flylo
posted Hide Post
I'm getting ready to sell most of my gun collection including a NIB Remington 45/70 double rifle made in the USSR & very few imported with the Remington name. It has a very smart way of regulating the barrels yourself which I'm suprised others didn't copy. I can't seem to list it in the classsifieds probably because I have been active on the site.

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." - Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 707 | Location: SW Michigan | Registered: 20 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
Speaking of small caliber doubles: Does anyone remember the cute little double in 17 HMR when it was first introduced about 17 or 18 years ago at the SCI show in Reno? It was in the white at somebody's booth and there was something really cool about it. I wonder how many of those were made? Seems like a really fun tiny rifle.

Posts: 2504 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
Roscoe are your 303s mostly regulated for the 215 RN? Be Well, Packy.

One of Us
Picture of Roscoe Stephenson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by packrattusnongratus:
Roscoe are your 303s mostly regulated for the 215 RN? Be Well, Packy.

Yes. There was a great preference for the 215 grain load.

The latest of my double 303 rifles is the Webley & Scott. To my knowledge, it was made in 1937, making it a very late pre-WW2 double rifle and one of the last produced by W&S.

In 1937 the standard .303 load was the Mk VII load, so naturally, that's what the W&S was proofed for. Have a look:

But even though it was proofed for the Mk VII round, it was regulated for the 215 grain load. It says so right on the barrel:

The rifle still has its hang tag with it, which tells its regulation specifically:

Just this past weekend I had the Purdey out for a few rounds down the tube. These are fantastic rifles and a joy to shoot.

Thanks for all the kind comments!

Curl

RoscoeStephenson.com

YOUR DOUBLE RIFLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

Posts: 39 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 20 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Agreed on everything 303 Roscoe, beautiful collection Sir, my 303 reads 38 gr Rifleite, MAX, it regulates beautifully with 41gr RL-15 under the 215gr Woodleighs at 2163 fps, have only shot a few deer and pigs with the rifle, but have been told by several that load was a giant killer, and has been used successfully on very large game, moose, big bear, heavy African antelope etc, etc..............I need to take that little double for a walk this season.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Another fan of the .303 and delighted to see your doubles, Roscoe. I traded a .350 Rigby No2 double for an H&H Grade 2 .303 finished in 1897. As with Jerry's, mine reads 38 gr Rifleite, but at some point was regulated for a lighter bullet than the 215. JJ Perodeau re-regulated for a 215 gr Woodleigh with IMR 4350 to produce about 2130 fps. The rifle can now take a reflex sight, butted up against the back sight as a recoil stop. It's out for sale as I rationalize my holdings.

Regards, Tim

Posts: 1318 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
A 22Hornet would be a fun Prairie Dog shooter!!

I have always liked the Connecticut Shotgun 22LR & MAG doubles, but NOT the price!! I thinkthose are built around the WIN 21 actions?

I would pay dearly for one of the three J&L WILKINS sets built under the supervision of the late Chris Soyza in 22LR with second set of 410 shotgun bbls, cased!! They are hidden away with happy owners!!

Cheers,

470EDDY

Posts: 2557 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here, 470Eddy, are pix of my Bailey Bradshaw in 22 K-hornet and with an extra 410 set of barrels. Used a 60 gr Nosler partition on the young warthog.

Regards, Tim

Posts: 1318 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Tim,

Now that is COOL!! WELL DONE!!
Actually it probably makes more sense to have a centerfire so you can reload for doubles....a 22LR or Mag are pretty limited to just choosing what shoots in your rifle...as true with conventional rifles and pistols with same caliber!!
Cheers,

470EDDY

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Tim! Ya just kill'n me! Nice setup!You can call me jealous!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
I saw a Marcel Thys .348 Win double once. Always regret not buying it.

The .348 Win or even a .33 WCF always seemed like a great medium bore double.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36504 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
doubles that I have had on loan at one time or another were the 22 L.R., 30-40 Krag, 25-35, and 250-3000..all were awesome, and I used the 25-35 on deer and Javalina and the 22 on Javalina.

Doubles Ive owned have been more than a few 450-400 3" and 3.25", and a 470 NE, as I chose them for buffalo etc,

I never could talk myself into buying a lesser caliber in a double, but have lusted over a number of small caliber doubles..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41814 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote