New
Find
Notify
Tools

Small caliber doubles
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Seems like folks only have interest in double rifles as of 9.3x74R. Does any one own and hunt with doubles in 7 or 8mm, for instance? From a stand, only a semi-auto can deliver a follow up shot faster, and not by much.

Posts: 1312 | Location: MN and ND | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In Europe they're more popular than here, for sure. America was built on the bolt action rifle :-)

Posts: 20065 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JonP:
Seems like folks only have interest in double rifles as of 9.3x74R. Does any one own and hunt with doubles in 7 or 8mm, for instance? From a stand, only a semi-auto can deliver a follow up shot faster, and not by much.

I have a couple of doubles and combinations that are chambered for 8/57 JR,(.318 Dia) and 8/57JRS (.323 Dia)bullets. However most of my doubles start a 9.3X74 and go up to 500/450 N1 Express, and .58 Berdan Carbine, and several in between. I once owned two short barreled double rifles, one chambered for 30-30 win, and the other chambered for .41 Remington magnum pistol cartridge.
The little doubles are fun to hunt with.
...……......…......…….. tu2 old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
I started with a 9.3x74, later got the following cals,375 H&H,450/400,458 Lott,500/416,470NE,my latest acquisition is a little Beretta in 30-06,I must say that I am pretty happy with it,one deer so far, easy to carry, shoots factory 200 gr loads 1”@100yrds with sights off a rest,I think this gun is going to stay with me for awhile Big Grin

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I bought one of the Chapuis 9.3X74 from Dale when we went in our group buy about 12 years ago. I did see recently that a member posted F.S. a dbl. in 7X57. I didn't have the money but that sounded intriguing.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I have had them in calibers under 9.3, but I always thought that DRs need to be in large calibers (I know, only in my mind), so I never kept one.
Yes they are fun and have low recoil, but those tiny holes in the barrels just don't appeal to me. I now have the 9.3 as minimum; and I have 3 of them. So get what you want.
I have seen them in such things as 22 hornet and such; a complete waste of a double rifle platform, for me.
Oops; forgot, I have a 30-06; it's very accurate and low recoil, but I used it once on hogs; never again.

Posts: 17006 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of touchdown88
posted Hide Post
One of my dream rifles is a pistol caliber double that I can hunt deer with in the swamps. I've killed a couple of deer with my Sabatti but I would love to have one that matched one of my pistols.

Posts: 343 | Location: Ogden, Utah | Registered: 13 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

Use a Wolff 8x57JRS in Europe on driven hunts. Also a 9.3x74R. Would enjoy a .30-06 too if I could find one !

Have used the 8x57!in Scotland as well with success although I never needed the second shot !!

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2243 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've hunted with doubles in 350 Rigby No. 2, 303 British and 22 K-hornet, Jon. The K-hornet took a nice, oven-sized wart hog in Namibia. The 303 went to JJ Perodeau who regulated it for the Woodleigh 215 gr bullet, but at 2130 fps. All three are now sold or on sale and Bailey Bradshaw is making a rising block double in 300 H&H flanged with spare barrels in 450-400 3-inch.

Regards, Tim

Posts: 1318 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tim Carney:

Bradshaw is making a rising block double in 300 H&H flanged with spare barrels in 450-400 3-inch.

Regards, Tim

That is a perfect pair of barrels for a double rifle for Africa, where most of the bag will be heavy plains game, but will work for both cats and buffalo as well! Also Bradshaw's work is masterful.
…………………...…...……………. tu2 old

DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

one of us
posted Hide Post
Am with you Mac. Expect the Bradshaw rifle to last out my hunting in Africa and look forward to it.

Regards, Tim

Posts: 1318 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
I’m conflicted on this. I’ve got a 9,3x74 Chapuis as my only double, unless you count a couple of O/Us in .375 H&H and .30-06.

I’d love a true big bore double, but I’m not sure how much use it would get in Africa. I do see many using them on all sorts of NA game, however.

A .30 Blaser seems interesting, or a custom in .30-30. Either would seem perfect for most of what I do around here, but so would the 9,3 with just a little more pop.

At the same time, I’ve got guns that I’ve never shot and others that have been collecting dust. I don’t really see that as a problem, other than I just need to hunt more...

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3426 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DCS Member:
I’m conflicted on this. I’ve got a 9,3x74 Chapuis as my only double, unless you count a couple of O/Us in .375 H&H and .30-06.

I’d love a true big bore double, but I’m not sure how much use it would get in Africa. I do see many using them on all sorts of NA game, however.

A .30 Blaser seems interesting, or a custom in .30-30. Either would seem perfect for most of what I do around here, but so would the 9,3 with just a little more pop.

At the same time, I’ve got guns that I’ve never shot and others that have been collecting dust. I don’t really see that as a problem, other than I just need to hunt more...

Like you I have many firearms that haven't been fired ion many years, but all have been hunted at some time in the past.
However most of my hunting, even for varmints and deer are taken with double rifles, and combination guns and shotguns.
All my wild hog hunting is with double rifles, you wouldn't believe how fast a 300 pound wild hog goes down when hit by a 500 gr trophy bonded bullet from my 470NE double rifle. They don't even kick, just hit the ground out for the count.
I have always loved double rifles, and have owned many over the years, but I love a fine bolt action rifle as well and own many of those as well. I guess I'm just a junky for double rifles and double shotguns. I even have a few double barreled hand guns, and muzzleloaders of one kind or another including a double58 cal.

Just a lot of fun owning and shooting my firearms even at paper, but most are hunted! At 83 years of age, and getting my first gun at age six, you can imagen I've been through a lot of firearms in those years.
……………………………………...Memories of an old codger! old

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

one of us
posted Hide Post
the smaller caliber or black powder express rifles are great for north American hunting.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
I have had them in calibers under 9.3, but I always thought that DRs need to be in large calibers (I know, only in my mind), so I never kept one.
Yes they are fun and have low recoil, but those tiny holes in the barrels just don't appeal to me. I now have the 9.3 as minimum; and I have 3 of them. So get what you want.
I have seen them in such things as 22 hornet and such; a complete waste of a double rifle platform, for me.
Oops; forgot, I have a 30-06; it's very accurate and low recoil, but I used it once on hogs; never again.

I agree for the most part that tiny doubles are not what double rifles were invented for.
However I have most chamberings above .300 caliber, and below 600 NE. With that said I'm thinking about starting at the bottom, and building up to 9.3mm. The bottom will be a double barreled Pellet rifle, .22 lr, 6mm, 30-30, up to to catch up to my 9.3X74R doubles..With a 375H&H flanged to go between the 9.3 and bigger doubles.
That would make a complete collection, from bottom to what I consider the top . at .577!

I must admit the usefulness of tiny little double rifles is not practical and is almost nil but since when has usefulness stopped anyone building a useless rifle of any kind?

…………………………………………………………………. sofa old

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I have a Remington (Baikal) 45.70 double and they also make a 30.06.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12500 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

I found a use for my .360 2&7/16" Henry.

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve,
Nice Turkey.....rifle isn't bad either beer
- Mike

Posts: 296 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 13 April 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of carpediem4570
posted Hide Post
A bit off-topic:

I've eaten my fair share of turkey from the grocery store but never a wild turkey. Any difference in the taste, texture, meat?

Kind regards,

Carpediem

No politician who supports gun control should recieve armed protection paid for by those he is trying to disarm.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways-scotch in one hand-Chocolate in the other-body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WHOO-HOO, WHAT A RIDE!!"

Madly Off In All Directions

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's an interesting one from fine maker.

https://www.gunsinternational....cfm?gun_id=101373883

Posts: 20065 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
I think the 303 British is a great double caliber.
A good friend just talked me out of my spectacular H&H Dominion in 303. Good for everything up to Moose.
CHEERS,

470EDDY

Posts: 2527 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 470EDDY:
I think the 303 British is a great double caliber.
A good friend just talked me out of my spectacular H&H Dominion in 303. Good for everything up to Moose.
CHEERS,

What kind of friend is this?.. Big Grin

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Jens- Actually a VERY GOOD FRIEND, who I actually met when he bought my first Jeffrey 450-400 3"...to short for me...we still call it "our Jeffrey"...and I think I sightly PO'd another double friend who wanted it, had a H&H case for it...but never really said it!!....now he wants my "new Jeffrey" just acquired...and he has been outspoken about that one....he has a mate in 450 No.2!!
The H&H was just as nice as the one purchased by KaneoeH in 375 FlMag...fully engraved and some color case left...I am headed that way...STILL
What are good friends for...borrow nice rifles, EH??...it's getting to be a small circle of double fanatics!!....part of getting old I guess!!
CHEERS

470EDDY

Posts: 2527 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 470EDDY:
Jens- Actually a VERY GOOD FRIEND, who I actually met when he bought my first Jeffrey 450-400 3"...to short for me...we still call it "our Jeffrey"...and I think I sightly PO'd another double friend who wanted it, had a H&H case for it...but never really said it!!....now he wants my "new Jeffrey" just acquired...and he has been outspoken about that one....he has a mate in 450 No.2!!
The H&H was just as nice as the one purchased by KaneoeH in 375 FlMag...fully engraved and some color case left...I am headed that way...STILL
What are good friends for...borrow nice rifles, EH??...it's getting to be a small circle of double fanatics!!....part of getting old I guess!!
CHEERS

I think I know *one* of those double-loving friends of yours...and I miss chatting with him when he’s off the boat. ;-)

One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Baxter- BANG ON!!

The ice in Homer is holding them about 8 feet off the pier as we speak....temp single digit F!!

CHEERS,

470EDDY

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've always thought a .303 British would be a proper double. If you wanted a US calibre, a .30-30 would be fun, but less practical. A .22 Hornet would be a hoot.

Posts: 9933 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What a beautiful rifle!

Posts: 1276 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought a 30R for myself as I have no plans to head to anywhere except around here for my hunting. I just wanted to shoot a double, I found out I could afford one, so I did it. Shot some deer with it so far, no desire to take anything else out with me now. I looked at what I've hunted over the years, decided a double would do 95% of what I needed it to do. 30R is something different, not usually a fan of the "common" cartridges, and it fit the bill for what I need. I've enjoyed learning about shooting this gun, certainly not a simple one to load for, but it's working good enough for my purposes and keeps me interested in it. It's great to pack around, handles excellently, and does what needs doing.

Krieghoff Classic 30R Blaser
Stevens 044-1/2 218 Bee
Ruger #1A 7-08
Rem 700 7-08
Tikka t3x lite 6.5 creedmo
Tikka TAC A1 6.5 creedmo
Win 1885 300H&H. 223Rem
Merkel K1 7 Rem mag
CCFR

Posts: 284 | Location: southern AB | Registered: 17 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
I have a Chapuis double in .30/30 regulated with Hornady LeveRevolution ammo (160 grain flex-tip at 2400 fps). With iron sights it shoots better than I can hold it and off a bench with my hand under the forend and with the QD Leopold VX6 at 5x, I've shot numerous rights and lefts in 3 or so seconds less than 2" at 150 yards. I can thank JJ for that regulation!

What is really fun is that it has a perfectly matched and balanced set of 28 gauge barrels with ejectors. I shoot quail every Wednesday with it and am more than pleased with the results.

I've taken the rifle to Africa and had the opportunity to shoot lots of bait animals for a successive guest's leopard hunt. Ten shots and ten impala. The night before leaving Zim I shot a water hole for sand grouse. Well, they came and so did dozens of guinea fowl, doves and even a couple of geese. Great fun!

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7531 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:
I've always thought a .303 British would be a proper double. If you wanted a US calibre, a .30-30 would be fun, but less practical. A .22 Hornet would be a hoot.

+1 on the Hornet!
I have a W.W. Greener double in 310 Cadet that has iffy bores and have toyed with getting it lined in 22 Hornet. Not sure if a lined double can be re-regulated though.
My first double was a Genossenschaft in 7X65R, then I got a Springer in 8X57 which is a very nice rifle. Still have that one.
I sold a Westley Richards and a Rigby, both in 350 No.2, and my 360 No.2 Greener which I don't really consider a small bore.
I (my son really) have a really nice original Manton double in 22 Savage Hi Power.
That is a great small bore double rifle!

Posts: 3231 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 218 Bee
posted Hide Post
Like Judge G, I'm a true believer in the long-toothed .30 WCF as a workhorse "small double". Mine began life as a 28 bore Victor Sarasqueta before Aaron Little worked his magic and transformed it into a trim little double rifle.

Both accurate and mild-mannered, this little "thutty thutty" is my "everyday double"...meaning one that I can shoot daily without risking detached retinas or loosened bridgework (plus reloading components are stupidly EASY on the pocketbook).

As Coleman County is woefully short of rogue, musth-addled ndlovu, I can still play "backyard bwana" by pitting this little piece against the occasional feral hog here on the place. At the kind of ranges where both the aperture sights and my aging eyes function, the .30-30 performs as it always has!

Mark

DRSS

"I always take care to fire into the nearest hillside and, lacking that, into darkness." - the late Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Posts: 600 | Location: Coleman County, Texas | Registered: 05 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ive seen doubles in 22 L.R., 22 hornet, 25-35, 30-30 and 30-40 Krag..and some others I con't recall the caliber, but unusual..Lot of cleints shot Merkels in 9.3x74 and a close friend of mine has a 250-3000 that's beautiful.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41722 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Thinking of the true purpose of double rifles, maybe we of the 'colonies' lack the pure upbringing of some British sportsmen and women.

Before magazine rifles the obvious way to get a second shot was to add a barrel, whether shooting at fur or fowl.

So, one would grow up using a db shotgun and hopefully it would become as familiar as the racket is to a tennis player. Then, if you wanted to hunt bigger game, you would get a rifle built to work and feel as much like your shotgun as possible. This practice helps to prevent muffed shots because you forget where the safety is or how to reload efficiently. That the calibre might only be .240 wouldn't matter in the slightest, as long as the rifle could be made light enough.

Posts: 4909 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just joined the "small bore double rifle" club, something I'd been waning to do for a while. I bought a Vierordt on a Kersten-Verschluss action in 8 X 65R Brenneke. Still trying to ferret out the regulating load.

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me". John 14:6

Posts: 232 | Location: Northern Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 13 February 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sambarman,
Your reasoning for the double rifle is only for those who can't chew and walk! jumping jUst kidding an old friend!

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41722 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
I have two 9.3X74 cal double rifles, a Merkel S/S , and a Winchester O/U now and used to have a pair of short barreled doubles with 18 inch barrels. One chambered for 30-30, and the other chambered for 41 Rem Mag. These two were built on a Browning shotgun action, and used while chasing bear hunting dogs in the New Mexico mountains. The 41 mag was used with a Ruger black hawk hand gun of the same chambering in a chest rig when I had to clime to get a shot.
Wish I still had both those! they were fun guns!

……...…...…...………….. old CRYBABY

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I keep thinking that I would like to make up a set of barrels in 7x57R for my Chapuis 9.3x74 to hunt deer with. The problem is we don't have any deer left in our area. Fish and Wildlife is studying the problem. I think my hunting for deer in Oregon is over. Even our elk hunting is getting more difficult, the area I've hunted for the last 60 years with an across the counter tag has just been changed to a draw only area. I'm getting to darned old to pioneer a new area.

Posts: 231 | Location: Central Oregon | Registered: 08 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good afternoon, if I have not read wrong, nobody mentioned the caliber 7 x 65, I have seen a Chapuis.

Cordial greeting

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Sambarman,
Your reasoning for the double rifle is only for those who can't chew and walk! jumping jUst kidding an old friend!

Well, Ray, I was talking about people often referred to in Britain as chinless wonders, so maybe their chewing is not all that great, either. Maybe that's where the need for highly marbled steak began.

Posts: 4909 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used to own the Chapuis 30-30/ 28 GA that Judge G mentioned. I only sold it because I have a bespoke Verney Carron 20 GA SXS with an extra set of 303 British Barrels. VC has to hunt all over Europe to find Federal 175 grain ammo for regulation. For hunting on the east coast, that’s all I need. The 20 ga weighs 5.5 pounds. The .303 7 lb.

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2133 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote