Find
Notify
Tools

Small Caliber Double
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted
Just curious if anyone makes a small caliber Double? Currently even a 9.3x74 is too big. I know there are some 8x57s. Anyone make anything smaller?

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
Some of the French makers are building 7x57R, 7x65R, and even .30-30 SxS doubles.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I own a Chapuis UGEX in 30R Blaser. For me it is the perfect double for hunting in the lower 48.

Heym makes a nifty little 30-30 O/U.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6601 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Merkel 141 in 30-06 which is built on a 28 gauge size frame they make them in several other calibers, basically the smaller calibers are on the 141 and larger calibers are the 140 seies

NRA Life Member, ILL Rifle Assoc Life Member, Navy

Posts: 2296 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
On the very low end (but shoots great and is solidly built) is the Baikal/Remington side by side double in 30-06. I gave $800 for mine NIB. It is a stout gun that shoots factory rem or fed 180's to point of aim at 50yds. I pack it regularly when hiking into remote lakes or berry picking in the fall. It can not be beat for the price.

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
About the nicest double I've seen in memory, is Ken's 303 VC. Absolutely lovely

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7143 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Jerome of Verney Carron loves making small and light double rifles

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bailey made one in 22 Hornet !

Posts: 1991 | Location: Sinton, TX | Registered: 16 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A friend now has Bailey's first centerfire falling block double rifle....it's in 6.5x57 Mauser.

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
theres a chapuis ugex in 30/30 in cuero tx...a friend has it....

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2827 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Vintage Doubles has a 303 and 280 flanged but they are asking a pretty penny.. Saw in an auction a while back a french double in 32-40

Posts: 1613 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saw a Merkel boxlock in 5.6X35R at London auction.Friend in India has a H&H in 22Savage HP;another has a WR in 250/3000.Grandmothers used them on tigers!

Posts: 877 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
I have a FAUL (Fabrique D'Armes Unies de Liege S.Ame) in 303 Savage caliber. Its a fun little double.

I also have double rifles in 8x57R and 8mm Lebel calibers.

" .... you never pay too much for something, you only buy it too early .... "

How to Hunt Wisconsin Whitetail Deer with a Cannon

How to Hunt Feral Cats with a Mortar

Posts: 2116 | Location: Whitetail Country - Wisconsin | Registered: 28 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know of, and handled an H&H in 7x57R (I believe that was the caliber). Beautiful little gun that apparently took ages to regulate.

-----------------------------------------
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. -Henry David Thoreau, Walden

Posts: 891 | Location: Tanzania | Registered: 07 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Got a set of 7x57R barrels made up for my Westley Richards

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
If a 9,3x74R (my choice) is too much, I would recommend the 8x57RS. 7x65R is also good in terms of power but I find the pressures a little too high for a break open.

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
Just picked up my new Verney Carron 7x57R from Ken on Monday. Inspired by this one

http://forums.accuratereloadin...1036012?r=3951036012

Opted for a splinter forearm. Turned out great! Weighs 7# 7 oz. with 25" barrels Smiler

Also have a Chapuis 30R identical to Snowwolfe's. It weighs the exact same with 23 5/8" barrels.

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1696 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I once had a Westley Richards droplock in 6.5X53R and a Westley Richards Ovundo droplock in 400/350 Rigby, both of which I sold long ago. Recently the twin of my Ovundo (one diget difference in serial numbers) was sold on eGun for around 70,000 Euros. It had been rebored and rechambered to 9.3X74R and fitted with a Weiss scope in German claw mounts. Here it is:

This is my newly scquired Krieghoff Ulm Primus made in 1969 in 7X65R.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got, or more accurately, my son, has two.

Ellis Brown in CO made a set of 25-20 barrels for my son's fausti 410. It is a nice little gun.

Prior to bluing:

The second is his Daisy Model 21 bb gun. You did say SMALL bore right?

DRSS

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?"

Posts: 810 | Location: MT | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
The second is his Daisy Model 21 bb gun. You did say SMALL bore right?

Sweet!

Thanks to everyone for their info. I was thinking something in the 7x57 6.5 etc or smaller. Due to surgery last fall missing a lot of meat in the right shoulder area. Working up but the 7x57 is the limit right now.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a Merkel 161 sidelock double in 8x75. Sweet and useful rifle...about like a 338 in a double rifle.

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Bob, great post, and love those little hands on the L-R target! Graeme Wright would be proud.

rotflmo

Good to know V-C is making .303 doubles. Edouard Foa certainly got yeoman's duty out of his.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16368 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shoot my James Woodward in 303 British made in
1897, 24" barrels, 9 lbs 4 oz.

Push forward snap action under lever:

Arcaded fences and cocking indicators:

The Automatic on ribs:

Tiny engraving:

Bolted safety:

50 yard target, first shot aimed at center, hit
high, next 5 shots aimed 6 o'clock:

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
That is one HELL of a lovely gun!

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7143 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:

+1

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is some background info on the 303 Woodward from the James Purdey records.
Built in 1897 for Dr. W. Seward Webb the husband
of Eliza Vanderbilt (Granddaughter of Cornelius)
Whose brother is George, the builder of the Biltmore Estate in N.C.
The rifle resided at 680 Fifth Ave., New York.
This home was sold in 1913 to John D. Rockefeller and the gun moved to the Shelburne
Farms in Vermont were Dr. Webb died in 1926.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ive seen some high quality doubles in 22 L.R., 25-35 WCF, Savage 22 HI-power, 30-40 Krag, 7x57 rimmed and 22 Hornet, Maybe other calibers???..I know I lusted over the 22 L.R. and the 25-35 and the 30-40, oh hell all of them! beer

Come to think of it all of them were at Champlins booths at SCI Dallas and SCI Reno or Vegas and over a number of years...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoubleDon:
Just picked up my new Verney Carron 7x57R from Ken on Monday. Inspired by this one

Opted for a splinter forearm. Turned out great! Weighs 7# 7 oz. with 25" barrels Smiler

Full rifle photos please...

One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
Hi Adam. PM sent.

Deo Vindice,

Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
quote:

+1

+2

That is just awesome, and my favorite action too. Well done indeed!

quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
Bob, great post, and love those little hands on the L-R target! Graeme Wright would be proud.

Bill that was 5 years ago (I can't believe it!). He's about to turn 7 and will be shooting the 25-20 for the first time soon. Time flies Mad

Bob

DRSS

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?"

Posts: 810 | Location: MT | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hunt with Eliza's grandson and will love to show him the pictures of this Woodward. In the last few years he has given a matched pair of her Woodward shotguns to his son. He has inherited an amazing collection of English doubles from his mother and father.

Posts: 84 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 28 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoubleDon:

Also have a Chapuis 30R identical to Snowwolfe's. It weighs the exact same with 23 5/8" barrels.

Gents,been shooting my new V-C 7x57R the last 2 days. What a gem!! Great shooter and very likely the sweetest DR I've ever owned. Beyond my expectations. Handles wonderfully! No brag, just fact. Thanks so much to Ken and Jerome beer Tres bien!

Adam, I'll get pix to you tomorrow.

Deo Vindice,

Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I acquired a Krieghoff Classic a couple of years ago, 30RBlaser. I get out with it when I can, really do enjoy shooting it, when I do. Works well on deer, nice to carry as well.

Posts: 284 | Location: southern AB | Registered: 17 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
If I were younger and hunted more, I have always thought a side x side double in .38-55 would beat a really neat gun.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
If I were younger and hunted more, I have always thought a side x side double in .38-55 would beat a really neat gun.

CHC I built a short barreled double rifle chambered for 30-30 Win on a Browning 20 ga action a few years ago and have wished for years I still had it. I have a Winchester grand European O/U 9.3X74R double rifle that was not regulated properly at the makers, and am trying to decide whether to have it regulated or just fitted with a pair of 30-30 barrels regulated with 170 gr factory ammo. I already have another double rifle chambered for 9.3X74R that is a perfect shooter, so I'm leaning toward the 30-30 barrels with a 0ne in ten inch twist.

30-30 ammo is available in any country store in Texas, and the 9.3X74R is not only expensive but must be ordered in most cases.
...................................................................... old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a worthwhile project.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 218 Bee
posted Hide Post
Mac,

We're on the same page re a .30-30 WCF double. I picked up a '70's vintage Victor Sarasqueta 28 gauge back in the spring that Aaron Little will transform into a slick little "walking around" double for here on the place.

Once it's in hand and I've got a wee "culling belt" made to match, I'm gonna wade into the local hog population!

Can't wait for fall...

Mark

DRSS

"I always take care to fire into the nearest hillside and, lacking that, into darkness." - the late Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Posts: 603 | Location: Coleman County, Texas | Registered: 05 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 218 Bee:
Mac,

We're on the same page re a .30-30 WCF double. I picked up a '70's vintage Victor Sarasqueta 28 gauge back in the spring that Aaron Little will transform into a slick little "walking around" double for here on the place.

Once it's in hand and I've got a wee "culling belt" made to match, I'm gonna wade into the local hog population!

Can't wait for fall...

Mark

Mark I noticed you are in Coleman county! I was born in Coleman county just South east of Santa Ana in my grand fathers ranch house in the late 1930s, and my oldest sister was born in the old Seally hospital in the early 40s. That is my old stomping grounds. My mother and father both went to Buffalo highschool and I went to the old Liberty country school in the secomd and third grade. I have relitives all over Coleman, and Brown county as well as around Melton.

..........................................................Small world old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 218 Bee
posted Hide Post
Well good heavens!

We're relative newcomers to the area as we bought this place in '07 and we're NW of Coleman between White Chapel and Silver Valley.

So if you've got "seller's remorse" over your old .30-30 DR and are considering building another, it must have been a worthwhile combo. That was my expectation...I'm looking forward to putting it thru its paces!

DRSS

"I always take care to fire into the nearest hillside and, lacking that, into darkness." - the late Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Posts: 603 | Location: Coleman County, Texas | Registered: 05 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All the best with your recovery Paul K.

I'm pleased you can still shoot.

Posts: 690 | Location: JOHANNESBURG, SOUTH AFRICA | Registered: 17 January 2013Reply With Quote