THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Edward Paton & Sons, .500 bpe
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Edward Paton & Sons, .500 bpe
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Oil soaked, some external pitting on the barrels,great wood under the grime, front sight is damaged, very good bores. I will sympathetically restore this one and work up a load for it.

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
I'm looking to see the before and after photos with great anticipation.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Great project but that pitting looks fairly deep?

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9846 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is in a few places, most of it will come out with a proper re-striking. A few small areas on the edge of the rib will need to be micro welded. I expect the exterior to be nearly pit free in the end. I spent a few hours on the outside of the barrels yesterday, a couple more sessions and anything remaining the micro/welder engraver will repair.

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve - I have a Damascus Lindner Daly 20 gauge that I had restored by several wizards. The side of the receiver had some pitting in an engraved area. Sam Welch repaired the pitting by inlaying iron, polishing and then recut the original engraving. The action was then color case hardened and the repair (and the entire gun) are perfect. I was amazed at Sam's ability to simply make the pitting disappear.

Posts: 872 | Location: S. E. Arizona | Registered: 01 February 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have worked with Sam in the past, a consummate professional and one heck of a nice guy as well.

I am happy with how things are cleaning up so far. A nice bonus was finding the locks were Brasier, just beautifully made and with a fly on the tumbler.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by skb:
I have worked with Sam in the past, a consummate professional and one heck of a nice guy as well.

I am happy with how things are cleaning up so far. A nice bonus was finding the locks were Brasier, just beautifully made and with a fly on the tumbler.

That's a lovely old rifle and it warrants a respectful restoration. I hope that you USE it.

Posts: 872 | Location: S. E. Arizona | Registered: 01 February 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are the barrels Damascus or fluid steel?

Posts: 238 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: 15 May 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Assuming my vision holds out a few more years, I will indeed use it. I very much enjoy hunting with vintage guns and rifles.

The barrels are fluid steel, the top rib is damascus though.

posted Hide Post
A little off topic. I have 2 Paton 16ga Damascus hammerguns. They are every bit the guns my Purdeys are.

Hunt with them often.

Posts: 22 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: 17 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is my impression as well, I am shocked by the quality from such an obscure maker. The wood restoration is pretty much complete and the barrels are polished out. I need to get the time to make a new front sight and work up a load. I am delighted with this rifle so far.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's a Scottish rifle. What else would you expect?