New
Find
Notify
Tools

Should I do it?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted

Posts: 11956 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Buy the rifle. Then send it down here so Mike Jines and I can shoot it! Big Grin

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry,
That rifle is beautiful! I assume thats the .500 VC you mentioned from DSC!?
I've long struggled with stroking that check for a Double but if or when i do...I'd rather spend a little more for one like this where i truly appreciate the engraving etc.

Posts: 931 | Location: Music City USA | Registered: 09 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is the one .

Posts: 11956 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think that one has your name all over it! Damn nice engraving! And it's only money.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
Orlando gator gun?

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mostly elephants. I am sure I would whack some hogs with it.

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
It's a looker!

Picture of chupacabra
posted Hide Post
......and I thought marylynn was going to do all of the damsge!!!!!!!
......Great visiting with you an marylynn in Dallas....

Posts: 9 | Location: so. california | Registered: 03 May 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
go for it!

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go for it.

I went back and looked at it. There is a nice lion and elephant engraved on the other side plate and bottom. Excellent engraving and wood. Gun balances really well even with a right handed stock for me.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Splendid elephant gun...

Posts: 3965 | Location: Vell, I yust dont know.. | Registered: 27 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Get it bought! tu2

One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
Very nice!

Have you ever looked at the English DR makers ? Like Anderson Wheeler etc ?

Posts: 2637 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Williams and Son was there as was Purdey and a Canadian solo gunsmith Stephen Milton who had a splendid Drop Lock .470. LARM, and the usual gang of others were well represented. A smorgasbord of doubles.

Dutch

one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
This has two triggers, right?

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yup.

I just texted Ken. I am getting it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your wedding present to yourself?

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"Buy the best, the very best, that you can possibly afford. You will never regret it."
John "Pondoro" Taylor

Posts: 1978 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I appreciate this rifle for what it is. But.....In my opinion ...if it has side plates...it better be a sidelock.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I picked it up yesterday.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry - Good move, hope you enjoy. tu2

Larry Sellers
SCI(International)Life Member
R8 Blaser

[QUOTE]Originally posted by larryshores:
I picked it up yesterday.[/QUOT

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
As a confirmation of my earlier post regarding the dangers of building double rifles on a shotgun receiver, I'd like to underline that the S/S rifle pictured above is indeed built on a true rifle receiver, not of a shotgun. Proof is the visible hollow gas screw, meant to divert gasses away from the shooter's face in case of a blown primer or ruptured case...

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Milo Shanghai
posted Hide Post
Sadly not proof at all. Many shotguns have gas vent screws.

Congratulations, Larry. Hope you enjoy shooting it. English double next on the list, I hope.

quote:
Originally posted by Andre Mertens:
As a confirmation of my earlier post regarding the dangers of building double rifles on a shotgun receiver, I'd like to underline that the S/S rifle pictured above is indeed built on a true rifle receiver, not of a shotgun. Proof is the visible hollow gas screw, meant to divert gasses away from the shooter's face in case of a blown primer or ruptured case...

Posts: 680 | Location: London | Registered: 03 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Gun balances really well even with a right handed stock for me.

That's because YOU'RE unbalanced :-)

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Say Larry, I'm just up the road. Call me if you need a gunbearer! beautiful gun sir! Smiler

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7143 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
quote:
Gun balances really well even with a right handed stock for me.

That's because YOU'RE unbalanced :-)

Beibs' your cutting and pasting skills are akin to your shooting skills - much to be desired dancing

You need to include my byline or no one will know you are referring to me.

Nice gun Larry - should be a bast to shoot.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
Awesome and show targets asap!

Posts: 1064 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D R Hunter
posted Hide Post
larryshores,

Enjoy your new rifle to the utmost! May you take
every game animal that you desire with it.

As to it being a boxlock with sideplates, simply
a larger "canvas" for the engraver to work upon.
If a fellow likes it, he buys it!
wave

D/R Hunter

Correct bullet placement, combined with the required depth of bullet penetration, results in an anchored animal...

Posts: 997 | Location: Florida - A Little North of Tampa  | Registered: 07 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D R Hunter
posted Hide Post
When you can, may we please see pics of the other areas of engraving sir?

D/R Hunter

Correct bullet placement, combined with the required depth of bullet penetration, results in an anchored animal...

Posts: 997 | Location: Florida - A Little North of Tampa  | Registered: 07 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
A Proper Double!!! Cool

Posts: 2328 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just shot it 12 times. I loved it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great!!
How long are the barrels?
25 Inch?

One Of Us
posted Hide Post
BEAUTIFUL!! Well Done....

Now for an Elephant booking...or do you have one?

I really like the VC locking system. I looked at them very carefully at SCI and learned a bunch!! Beautiful doubles in their booth!!...I was drooling on a 375 Flanged!!

Cheers,

470EDDY

Posts: 2559 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 470EDDY:
BEAUTIFUL!! Well Done....

Now for an Elephant booking...or do you have one?

I really like the VC locking system. I looked at them very carefully at SCI and learned a bunch!! Beautiful doubles in their booth!!...I was drooling on a 375 Flanged!!

Cheers,

I've got one!

dancing

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7544 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D R Hunter
posted Hide Post
That is a SPLENDID portrait of a Lion Brute! clap

D/R Hunter

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, Larry.
How does the baby shoot???

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It shot well Rick. I shot at a small plastic bottle on a dirt mound. I either hit it or hit close enough to make it move every time.

One problem that I note is my left shoulder strength. It was operated on a year ago. In spite of intensive weight lifting, it is still weak. It is difficult to hold the rifle up for very long.

One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
Beautiful gun Larry. How much does it weigh?

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1696 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote