New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chapuis double
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Found a new Chapuis 9.3x74R double for sale for around $^k. It's regulated for Norma, but Norma doesn't load that round anymore. It would have to be regulated for Hornady or?

Your opinions please.

Posts: 382 | Location: Henderson, NV | Registered: 21 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by poprivit:
Found a new Chapuis 9.3x74R double for sale for around $^k. It's regulated for Norma, but Norma doesn't load that round anymore. It would have to be regulated for Hornady or?

Your opinions please.

I did have a Chapuis in 9.3x74R,I checked the gun out with Norma ammo & thereafter reloaded my own,if I remember correctly,Hornady gave me about 4" groups @50 yrds,if you reload? just load your own & things will be fine,but if you don't?I would first try shooting different brands of ammo & see how it goes,if the results are not to your satisfaction? you can get the gun re-regulated to the ammo of your choice,& if the gun is actually sent for re-regulation? make sure it is wearing the optics of your choice or mounting a scope later will also throw off the regulation.

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Realize that Double Rifles are not mere steel and wood; the are the very spawn of Satan; having no rules, unless you break one of them, then they might. There is no guarantee that it will shoot even if you had the right ammo, if you don't follow the rules (ok, they have some rules); IE, know how to hold them, put a scope on it, etc. Not saying you don't.
Or it might regulate perfectly with any load you put in it; remember point number one.
However, you must reload for it; that is the only way you can get it to regulate short of sending it off and spending another $1.5K on it.
Remember also, it is not just mere velocity that makes for regulation; it is HOW the bullets get to that velocity that matters as much; i.e., powder and charge matters a lot; recoil and muzzle flip are what makes it work.
Having said all that, and I have owned 5 Chapuis', they are wonderful rifles; the last one a 9.3, I got has the barrels you can regulate yourself; but it shoots into 1.5 inches at 50, all day, with a load I used before so I didn't need to do anything .
Luck counts too.
Good luck with it.

Posts: 17105 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Realize that Double Rifles are not mere steel and wood; the are the very spawn of Satan; having no rules, unless you break one of them, then they might. There is no guarantee that it will shoot even if you had the right ammo, if you don't follow the rules (ok, they have some rules); IE, know how to hold them, put a scope on it, etc. Not saying you don't.
Or it might regulate perfectly with any load you put in it; remember point number one.
However, you must reload for it; that is the only way you can get it to regulate short of sending it off and spending another $1.5K on it.
Remember also, it is not just mere velocity that makes for regulation; it is HOW the bullets get to that velocity that matters as much; i.e., powder and charge matters a lot; recoil and muzzle flip are what makes it work.
Having said all that, and I have owned 5 Chapuis', they are wonderful rifles; the last one a 9.3, I got has the barrels you can regulate yourself; but it shoots into 1.5 inches at 50, all day, with a load I used before so I didn't need to do anything .
Luck counts too.
Good luck with it.

The above was posted by a man who understands double rifles, and fully admits that the same ammo may, or may not, regulate in two brand new double rifles of the same make. This can be the fact that those rifles were regulated by two people who simply hold the rifle differently while regulating them.
New or old, when you buy a rifle new to you, you must try it and be ready to work up some new loads, because the rifle may or may not shoot the ammo suggested by the maker.

People who do not reload should stay far away from double rifles! Eeker
……………………………………………. oldMacD37

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have owned 3 different Chapuis in 9.3x74 and each one shot Norma, Hornaday, and S&B acceptably well to hunt with. all were 3 3/4 or less at 100 when I did my part. Some showed a preference for one or the other and shot a little better. But with reloading I was able to tailor a load for that specific rifle where I was able to cut the groups size by 35-50%. Dcpd is absolutely correct on the how the bullet get to speed matters allllot I tested with 5 different powders to get the correct loads on my current double to get swift A-frames to shoot 2in center to center groups with 286gr and 300 gr softs and the same point of impact with 286gr swift break away solids.

Is the rifle you are looking at a UGEX or RGEX or REX model?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's a UGEX. I have found a used one on Hallowell & co for $5300, but it's in 8x57 JRS. After re-reading my post, I saw the price typo. The new one in 9.3 is $6k, also a UGEX. I probably won't go back to Africa again, so a large caliber isn't so important.

What say you.

Posts: 382 | Location: Henderson, NV | Registered: 21 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can never go wrong with the 8x57 for most hunting in the USA. Get it

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Those are both fair prices. Years ago I has a Chapuis 8x57 and is shot well and I enjoyed shooting it . However at the time I sold it to buy a bigger double and a year later regretted the sale. At DSC this year I bought a Verney Carron 8x57 JRS from Ken and KEBCO to replace it as my little double.

For North America either will allow you to hunt most anything you want. If the big bears are on your list you might want to lean towards the 9.3x74.

one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
quote:
People who do not reload should stay far away from double rifles!

What Mac said!

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote