THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    My first Spanish Double Rifle - Armas EGO 7x65R - what a wonderful double!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My first Spanish Double Rifle - Armas EGO 7x65R - what a wonderful double!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted
My first Spanish Double Rifle - Armas EGO 7x65R - what a wonderful double!

I just bought this double. It's a Spanish Armas EGO. I've owned several Spanish double shotguns, but never a double rifle. I've found there are 2 kinds of Spanish guns; very, very, good ones, and very, very poor ones, and not much in-be-tween. It turns out that this is a "very, very good one". This is a wonderful double rifle. Its got a lot of whistles and bells - Ejectors, Bushed Firing Pins, a Hinged Front Trigger, and very nice engraving.

Every good DR deserves a good case. Here's the case I customized for this rifle.

As many of you know, I sold a lot of iron from my collection to purchase the hunting land that I had been leasing for 47 years. Those sales included 11 double rifles and 23 Safari rifles. I only kept a dozen of each - so with this purchase I'm kind of starting over.

I'm was anxious to see how this one performs. I went to the range today. It was a splendid 14 degrees. The seller was kind enough to include a set of reloading dies, 60 pcs of new brass, 60 bullets, and snap caps. With bullets and brass in hand, I started load development. The rifle has a neat peep-site that worked great with my 70 year old eyes. The peep is attached to the rib and could be easily replaced with an optic site.

I always start my loads very conservative and work my way up. The results below look very promising. Will test some 175g bullets next outing.

FYI: Shown below are pictures and the description from the original Holt's auction listing in 2019.

" .... you never pay too much for something, you only buy it too early .... "

How to Hunt Wisconsin Whitetail Deer with a Cannon

How to Hunt Feral Cats with a Mortar

Posts: 2100 | Location: Whitetail Country - Wisconsin | Registered: 28 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice!!! Congrats!!

DRSS

Posts: 1148 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lovely rifle. Congratulations.

DRSS

Posts: 1895 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
Buckstik -

Congratulations on a beautiful Spanish rifle.

I also have a Spanish DR. Mine is a La Armeria de Madrid (LARM) and I love it.

The metal work and wood to metal fit is absolutely perfect.

The Spaniards have always produced very desirable steel.

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3342 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
Hello degoins,
Hello Rockdoc,
Hello Steve Ahrenberg,

Thanks for the reply.

I have double rifles from England, Scotland, France, Germany, Austria, Belgium, and the U.S.A. .... from 8x57R upto 700NE .... and now ... Spain in 7x65R.

This Spanish DR is comparable in quality to the best of those from all the other countries.

" .... you never pay too much for something, you only buy it too early .... "

How to Hunt Wisconsin Whitetail Deer with a Cannon

How to Hunt Feral Cats with a Mortar

Posts: 2100 | Location: Whitetail Country - Wisconsin | Registered: 28 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Enjoy! tu2

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! Beautiful rifle!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote