Notify
Tools

Holland & Holland video
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qUXoNUzAyvk

Not sure if this has been posted before.

If so, apologies.

But too cool not to share.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3099 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gerhard.Delport
posted Hide Post
Absolutely Amazing!

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
Capture Your African Moments
Hunting Outfitter (MP&LP)
Proffesional Hunter (MP&LP)
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

Posts: 1659 | Location: Dullstroom- Mpumalanga - South Africa | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That was great, amazing hand finishing.

Like the standing rest for regulating the double rifle.

Thanks, Chris

DRSS

Posts: 1904 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Very cool. Thanks for posting.

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7969 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I wonder why quality double rifles cost as much as they do?

Mike

Posts: 21191 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very enjoyable, thanks for posting.
Larry

Posts: 372 | Location: Atlanta.GA | Registered: 07 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great video.

True craftship to the finest.

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Very nice indeed..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wj1k2jMYhuc

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7143 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most enjoyable tx for posting

Posts: 39 | Location: south africa | Registered: 02 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
The H&H video is great!
One question.
Does the man inletting the locks have a pattern lock with a square cocking rod to check that enough wood was removed to allow cocking and firing? Is that lockplate a dimensionally identical working pattern for inletting assuming that the actual lock will slip into the stock as well without too much further inletting?
Maybe he happened to be inletting a hammergun...

Posts: 3239 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think the square peg is through the cocking indicator to cock the mechanism without the barrels. The lockplate is the lockplate for the rifle or gun.

Cheers,

Chris

DRSS

Posts: 1904 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
I agree with Rockdoc. It is just a mechanism to ensure clearance of the internals.

The hour and a half Purdy video is also phenomenal.

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
Fantastic!! Thank you for sharing.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7593 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
That makes sense. Didn't think of the cocking indicator.

Posts: 3239 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Amazing !!!!!

But then Biebs told me why do all this work for a gun that at best will be able to hit a oil drum at 50 yards. He said blaser was the way to go. Specifically the new R-8 with steel components Cool

One day I will get a Holland and Holland double till then I will go to showrooms in NYC and London and play with their samples. H&H has always been very kind in showing and allowing me go fondle their guns.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Purely art in its finest form. If I win the lottery, a bespoke in 450 NE is the first thing I'm getting!

Gary

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting this very fine and instructional video.

Best of the Season, Tim

Posts: 1318 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow! What artists!

Posts: 41766 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stunning!

Posts: 446 | Location: Norway | Registered: 11 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Amazing to watch. Computerized machining has nothing over these artists.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6600 | Location: Cumberland Plateau, Tennessee | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snowwolfe:
... Computerized machining has nothing over these artists.

Hand finished to impressive final fit & detail, yes,
but CAD/CAM programs and CNC 5 axis machining centres have been employed since the late 1980s at H&H,
including wire EDM and spark-erosion methods.

CAD/CAM generated models for precision metal component production and physical models for stock patterns to
be precisely duplicated on a Hoenig machine, is the accepted way of todays modern bespoke custom firearm.

The elite and well respected makers like H&H,Purdey,WestleyRichards,HartmannWeiss,Boss,McKayBrown,
Fabbri,Piotti,etc..... all employ CNC-CAD/CAM.

quote:
"..the London gun trade is suffering from a lack of apprentices and the skill base is diminishing,”
“So, we need to capture the skills we have here before they are lost, and engineering software allows us to cost-effectively
create designs even for small orders. We are more reliant on CAD/CAM to ensure we can continue to produce our products to the
high standards expected by our customers.” - John Sperinck (Engineering Manager for H&H)

quote:
"..for example an action body requires 12 hours as its machined out of a solid 100 by 240 mm billet and has a lot of detailed
work involved, including angle faces, drilled holes and tapped holes. Using the full 5-axis capability of the machine to hit five faces
in one set up, after machining the part is wire cut off the remnant stock before the final face is spark eroded."

quote:
“So, after 12 hours on the machining centre, wire cut for a couple of hours and sinking for another 10 hours quite a lot of material
has been removed and the parts are very delicate. Every part is fully polished, so no machining marks remain,”...

Once components leave the engineering workshop all the remaining operations are hand worked with the fine finishing/setting done in
manufacturing using traditional methods.

Each customer’s gun is bespoke in every individual detail so they choose the wood, the engraving – everything about the weapon,”

It is an item of beauty that requires 4 months of working solidly around-the-clock. Many guns are on a three year order, so the customer is
buying time from a skilled person life; the time that is required to complete their gun.

“We provide a service to the skilled staff in manufacturing and I guess CAD/CAM provides the clear definition between the two skilled areas.
We can take them a lot closer, a lot quicker to the finished hand-set product.”

The machine room in the basement of Holland & Holland:

Posts: 9434 | Location: Here & There- | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd like to see a video of Butch Searcy building a rifle, but being American it needs to be set to Jazz.....

Posts: 3701 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Similar video from Purdey:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fac892fHBME

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by INTJ:
I'd like to see a video of Butch Searcy building a rifle, but being American it needs to be set to Jazz.....

Same here.
The old big name English makers could be making nice guns today but they must be doing so in secret as I have not seen them.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They are dwelling on the past.They are always showing us vintage pictures,rifles etc...but almost nothing in comparison from today.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
what nonsense!,
go visit a H&H gunroom and they can show you a range of examples of their new bespoke creations.

Just don't expect such new bespoke firearms to held in large numbers and selections, since most
customers ordering such a new firearm, want to specify a build with their own personal specifications.

Personally, if I was H&H or Purdey I would decline the oportunity of doing business with people like you.

Posts: 9434 | Location: Here & There- | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PD999
posted Hide Post
Great videos; thanks!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition” ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 1231 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 April 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
quote:
Originally posted by INTJ:

Same here.
The old big name English makers could be making nice guns today but they must be doing so in secret as I have not seen them.

George, I don't think you really believe the things you post! There is no way a sane person could make a statement like you made above unless you simply cannot bring your self to agree with anyone on anything.

Some of this may be because of the flack you have experienced here and this is your way of angering the hecklers by attacking the things they like, ie: ( JUNK ENGLISH DOUBLES!) I don't think you believe that the best makers from England build junk!

Nobody here is downing your Searcy double, they are good rifles, but Butch Searcy will tell you himself that he is not trying to compete with H&H, or Purdey. Butch builds a very solid double rifle, that is very accurate, and trouble free. Even his field grades are very good rifles, and he has some very up scaled rifles as well that are very nice, but they are not the equal of H&H, or Purdey, but are certainly not junk either. Nobody in their right mind with even the tinyest understanding of double rifles would call the top makers of England JUNK makers.

......................................................................................... 2020

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Very well said, MAC.
However several years ago a gent from Sweden who now lives in Alaska came by my home with a friend (whom I have known for a few decades). His comment after seeing my doubles was (in a Swedish accent) "I have handled most of the doubles in Europe and while the English may have made a few good rifles, most of what they produce is just shit."
So, Shootaway may well believe what he says.
Cheers, mate.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
Very well said, MAC.
However several years ago a gent from Sweden who now lives in Alaska came by my home with a friend (whom I have known for a few decades). His comment after seeing my doubles was (in a Swedish accent) "I have handled most of the doubles in Europe and while the English may have made a few good rifles, most of what they produce is just shit."
So, Shootaway may well believe what he says.
Cheers, mate.
Cal

Maybe George is originally from Sweden as well!

.................................................................. jumping

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote