THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Nitro Doubled w/ Jones Underlevers
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nitro Doubled w/ Jones Underlevers
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have been thinking about trading for a big caliber double rifle and would like to find a nice nitro gun with hammers and Jones Underlever action. I remember several years ago there was a Jeffery in 500 nitro in that configuration for sale at a good price. That was about the last one I saw. There is a Hollis in 500/450 on GunsInternation but in talking with the owner I was told it had an old repair to the wrist. Those old nitro guns seem to be very scarce anymore. Given that fact it's hard to even begin to determine what the market value on those rifle are right now. Does anyone have an idea what a good price on a rifle in this configuration would be? I understand the Maker determines to a great extent what a rifle like this would sell for. I am more interested in the less famous makers that made good rifles in this style.

Posts: 136 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 04 March 2021Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
In my experience over 30+ years, nitro doubles with hammers and the Jones under lever sell for very low prices--often less than the same rifle in a black powder express caliber. Prior to the 2014 high in double rifle prices several great calibers in nitro hammer doubles failed to surpass $10,000. The only key to understanding this is 120 years ago they were not popular at all and hammerless designs won the race. That said, there are some great quality doubles out there in elephant stopping calibers with exposed hammers.

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Cal, That's great information. I was working a deal on a Fancotte 475 #2 and as great luck would have it for the seller, a trip he scheduled to Africa for buffalo last year is now coming true and he is taking the 475. I have a nice H&H sidelock shotgun I'm thinking about trading so maybe if I hold out long enough a really nice underlever double will come onto the market.

Posts: 136 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 04 March 2021Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’d ask around with the big guys that deal in doubles. Champlain, Hallowell, etc.

There are doubles they have been sitting on for years, and shotguns sell better.

Posts: 1278 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3232 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aaron Little
posted Hide Post
Some people’s kids.

http://www.facebook.com/profil...p?id=100001646464847

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC
682-554-0044
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com

Posts: 1017 | Location: Mineola, TX | Registered: 15 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Gentleman, I have been really busy the last couple weeks and have not been on the site. I did find a very nice A. Hollis 500-450 N.E. which I bought. It is currently at Griffin & Howe because the stock was broken at the wrist during shipping. Sad thing is the re-stocking will cost almost as much as I paid for the rifle. UPS seems to be going to stand good for the damage. I hope they do and I get the rifle back before long.