THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Wanting a double for Montana Elk/Bear/lion
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wanting a double for Montana Elk/Bear/lion
 Login/Join

posted
I'm looking to acquire a double for hunting here in Montana. I have a 500 NE, but its a bit much.. Im leaning toward either a 375 Flanged magnum or a 450-400 3". I know that Searcy is looked down upon by most, but I hear nothing but great things about his regulation and I like the price point beings that I am looking for a "working" rifle. Does anyone have any recommendations or possibly something for sale? Thanks

Posts: 13 | Location: Montana | Registered: 09 May 2022Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Champlin had a couple of Chapuis 450/400s recently.

DRSS

Posts: 1148 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Searcy is an icon in the double rifle business, and his guns shoot better than any other double for the most part..Ive owned more thana few of them and everyone of them shot great. My Searcy 470 won the US double gun championship and Butch talked me out of it and gave me a 450-400 that shot as well and was much prettier and more to my suiting. Also for elk etc I would give some tought to the 9.3x74, but to each his own..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I would like to find a used Searcy if possible to "get my feet wet". I was hoping that someone on here might have one and come forward willing to part with one. I'm not opposed to other brands, but for my intended purposes, I don't need a super fancy highly engraved piece of art, but rather a highly functional and accurate tool.
As far as the 9.3x74 goes, I'm sure its a great cartridge but it just doesn't do it for me for whatever reason.

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
If you find your double and need brass, PM me. I'm selling all of my double rifle stuff from 30+ years. .375 FL, 450-400 3 1/4, 9.3 x 74 I have lots of.

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Chapuis 375 FL. I highly recommend it. I great cartridge in an accurate rifle.

USMC Retired
DSC Life Member
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 730 | Location: Maryland Eastern Shore | Registered: 27 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For the animals you are talking about the 9.3x74 will fit the bill to a T. Easier to find ammo and brass for in the current shortages world. If you are also going to consider the possible trip to africa where a buff or ele might be on the list then the 450/400 would be a better option.

One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
Keep the 500 & buy a 30-06 maybe? I got the bigger caliber Dr’s as well but the 30-06 is just so convenient,mine shoot great with 200 grain ammo.

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Unless the Montana topography has changed since I was lest there, the recommendation of Bill73 seems very practical.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2293 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crshelton:
Unless the Montana topography has changed since I was lest there, the recommendation of Bill73 seems very practical.

There isn't much "practicality" in having a double rifle for hunting in Montana, but they sure are cool and I would like to have one in the above mentioned cartridges.

one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RacinJason:
There isn't much "practicality" in having a double rifle for hunting in Montana, but they sure are cool and I would like to have one in the above mentioned cartridges.

True on the not practical. I used a double rifle drilling for a few years long ago, took an elk and antelope and all kinds of birds. Then got tired of watching all the out of range critters and went with a bolt action. But...screw practicality, I'm back in the game 20+ years later, just starting loading for an ancient 43 Mauser that will have pretty limited range and I don't care. Good on you, go with your heart and hope you find a Searcy or something similar in a cartridge that you want vs. what you "should" have. Can't go wrong with either one you listed.

Posts: 1064 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chapuis with a low power scope or red dot sight in 9,3x74R would also make a great choice. The scope/red dot would compensate for the high comb and make it more comfortable to shoot. Plenty of power for anything in North America.
I used mine for two moose in Alaska. With the right load anything under 250 yards would be in serious trouble. Plus these rifles are normally built on smaller actions so they are lighter, easier to carry, and cost less.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6591 | Location: Cumberland Plateau, Tennessee | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
I have several double rifles, drillings, and combination rifle and shotgun side by side, and over under barreled combinations, and I find the side by side shot barrel, and rifle barrels to be the best for mixed bag hunting.
The walk about hunting in the states, Canada, in my opinion, is CAPE GUN with it's side by side shotgun and rifle barrels. A quick removed/reinstalled scope is a perfect companion for an American/Canadian hunter.
Don't get me wrong folks, I like them all, but for the walk-about gun give me the Cape gun with a 12ga or16ga shot barrel, and a 9.3/74 rifle barrel, and I'm happy!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't know much about Montana,

But where I hunt............

A Merkel 141 in 8x57 Rimmed

or

said model in 30-06 Springfield

are a ball to mess with!

Also picked up a CSMC RBL Professional which is a 20 ga. Sabot S X S

sweet one and it shoots!

just have not take the opportunity to blood it yet!

One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
Nice very nice!!!

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, I finally landed my Holy Grail in a 375 Flanged Mag!!

I have my Winchester 405 in a Griffin and Howe named, FRANCOTTE Belgium built double rifle. Perfect balance and shoots both Winchester and Hornady factory rounds very well. Great wood, and ejectors.

I paid $8500 for it about 10 years ago. It has a case, but not a factory case, secondary market.

PM me if you are interested. I will consider trades.

CheerZ,

470EDDY

Posts: 2540 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Francotte is an awesome rifle and as well made as the best and always a sleeper, because they are difficult to find, and only a few have actually ever used one..Find one? better buy it..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
My Griffin and Howe imported Francotte 405 Winchester is available and a fine shooter!!
Teddy Roosevelt shot many Lion and Rhino with his 1895 Winchester... I have one of those too... and the reason mine is available... along with acquiring my dream 375FlMag!!
It shoots both the Winchester TR Commomorative ammo and Hornady. I Will include some new Kynoch Brass and Woodleigh bullets...

CheerZ,

470EDDY

Posts: 2540 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe too much gun, but I still have my Searcy Classic in 470, still unfired and as new.
I ordered it and shortly afterward had shoulder problems which precluded my shooting anything larger than 375. It's been in storage since I received it. A beautiful double that Butch used at one of the SCI events to show the quality of his best work.
Also have a goodly complement of loaded rounds, reloading brass and bullets.
PM me if interested.

Bob Nisbet
DRSS & 348 Lever Winchester Lover
Temporarily Displaced Texan
If there's no food on your plate when dinner is done, you didn't get enough to eat.

Posts: 830 | Location: Texas and Alabama | Registered: 07 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great regulation on the 20 gauge. Should be a good hunting rifle.

one of us
posted Hide Post
For Montana or this side of the big Pond, I gave up on my doubles when I retired and no intention of returning to Africa..

I opted for Ruger No. 1A fwt in 270 WCF, don't have baby those two damn barrels and much more accurate for the most part, and oh so much more practical, yet with a touch of nostalgia.. Easy to pack,, fits in a saddle scabbard, accurate, comes in many calibers, strongest action Ive ever played with by a bunch..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The grail gun for this would be one of the stainless steel doubles Searcy built.

He even set them up with a synthetic stock.

I have shot one and it was superbly regulated.

IIRC they were all 470 NE.

DRSS
Kreighoff 470 NE
Valmet 412 30/06 & 9.3x74R

Posts: 1016 | Location: Denver | Registered: 31 May 2010Reply With Quote