THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Refresh on old British double
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Refresh on old British double
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Looked into this a few years ago but now thinking is the time to freshen up my 100 year old .470. There are a few smiths on here I’ve seen. Would like to discuss options. Reblack barrel recoil pad possible front sight I can see maybe spruce up the wood. Plus needs a rear sling eye. It’s a shooter so no need to go overboard but deserves a little love. SKB in Boulder is nearby

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2846 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aaron Little here on AR, or JJ Perodeau?

Posts: 20083 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
Aaron Little here on AR, or JJ Perodeau?

I will second those two for top of the line work!
………………………………………………….. tu2 oldMacD37

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anybody you have mentioned is who I would use.

Posts: 1278 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Give a call or bring it by if you like. It sounds very straight forward.
Steve
303-938-1996

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Both are friends and have done a lot of work for me. Their work is impeccable and I consider both the ne plus ultra of gunsmiths. The only other 'smiths I have had do work is Keith Neubauer and Ron Long. Keith has passed and Ron is no longer doing any work.

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
I have had Steve (SKB) do work for me and was happy with the results. I have also seen quite a bit of his work while in his shop. He is currently redoing the buttstock on a 577/500 No. 1 for me.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3811 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1610 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dustin Mounts in Houston area is also superb. Worked on my Hollis.

Posts: 1282 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 20 October 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are looking for a full bore restoration, I recommend Pete Mazur of Grass Valley, CA. You can find him on the ACGG website.

Some years ago a friend of mine took him a clapped out H&H .470 NE. Pete completely restored the gun - to the extent that, when some of H&H's top people wandered over from SCI Reno, they exclaimed that it was a sterling example of their best work... without knowing it's history. We all got a laugh out of that.

Pete's rejuvenated quite a few old double rifles. I recall a Purdey in 450/400 that was simply stunning. He has worked on a number of fine double guns for me as well.

Posts: 872 | Location: S. E. Arizona | Registered: 01 February 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks skb the closest to Arizona. In fact may be nearby so I’ll give him a call

Not looking for a full blown resto just a slight refresh barrel Black recoil pad rear sling loop and maybe spiff up the stock. This thing has seen heavy usage for a century. A front sight I could actually see would be nice as well

White Mountains Arizona

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ive had great results with DAvid Yale on doubles and add a leather covered recoil pad is a must IMO..David can regulate a double better than anyone I know..

JJ does good work as mentioned. Ive never seen Aaron Littles work but he has a very good reputation..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41814 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Todd Ramirez,Alba TX.

Posts: 558 | Location: texas | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
PM me.

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I agree. Aaron Little and JJ. Parodeau.
Not only do you want a highly skill person, you want one who will take the time to talk you you on the phone when you call. And you will be calling!
If you look up the phrase "a lone voice crying in the darkness", you will see yourself, if the gunsmith won't take the time to talk with you.
You need a gunsmith who has people skills, not just sitting in a cave dispensing products when they get around to it!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the answers I am thinking of revisiting this shortly. 2020 got in the way

White Mountains Arizona